NEurope
Ashley

Nintendo's Conference - Tuesday 7th 5pm/6pm

The reporter is fishing for Uncharted and Halo graphics and Reggie is avoiding the questions :heh:

Aha. First of all, let me say, that I am hyped. Yes, I would've loved some more details and some more game announcements, but I'm loving it so far.

I just don't get people getting confused or being irrational about some stuff.

- It is a new console. My brother was confused, but I don't get how Nintendo fans here on the forum get confused who've been informed of every rumour so far.. I mean, it was more or less what we were expecting right? Shame on you for everyone who thought it was a Wii accessory. To me it was clear from the beginning, and yes, the emphasis was clearly on the controller (for good reason), but the console was in the background. It is HD. It's backwards compatible with anything Wii, so good for us who have 5 remotes and various other stuff.

- The controller. It's like a classic controller, but with some of the remote capabilities, and of course the (touch)screen.

(come on Daft, do you really expect an HD screen in a controller? This should not be much higher priced than a remote if they want this to succeed.. It is not a new / alternative handheld).

Looking forward to see what they come up for this, but they don't have to go out of the way to invent gimmicky features for it. But it's obvious that has far more uses apart from gameplay. Really looking forward to it. Also, and this will probably depend on the game (and unknown technical limitations), but it is possible to not use a TV screen and play some games directly on the controller. So play an HD game on the TV, play an SD game on your controller, or use both. My only worry is the weight of this thing. I think it'll feel comfortable enough, thinking about it, my DS lite or DSi never game me trouble. This looks like it will feel somewhat like a wider DS, with an extra grip. Also.. They will undoubtedly get enough feedback on E3.. Enough time to make various adjustments before launch.

- Come on, complaints about the name? I thought we were passed that. Yes, I also hated the name Wii all those many years ago, but I got over it. I thought all of us did. They only added a letter for fuck's sake. It's smart, they kept the Wii brand name.

Again, would have loved some more technical details, and some substantial game announcements, but I am really looking forward to it.

People seem to be saying the new controller is actually very comfortable

Thank god, that was my biggest worry.

Also will the sticks be buttons as well, like the PS3/360? Otherwise it's going to be two buttons short...

Resistive touch screen (figures, should have guess from a DS stylus being used to draw with) however I'm going to bump um my resolution guess to QHD as engadget didn't moan about display quality.

how can people comment on the graphics shown like on tekken? we were all watching live streams taken with cameras at a distance, taking images of demo's played on a projector to a large screen.......:blank:

until we see direct demo's etc we can't exactly say it doesn't look good

The reporter is fishing for Uncharted and Halo graphics and Reggie is avoiding the questions :heh:

Good thing we saw that in the game listings then :p

Reggie said more info online and more games will be announced over the coming days. Excellent. New announcements every day!!

Worth highlighting, also from Engadget, in regards to the new controller -

Notably, you won't have to use the 6.2-inch behemoth if you don't want too -- the Wii U will be compatible with all current-gen accessories and software.

I've got some 'Cube controllers that still got some life in 'em, I hope I can use them - I wonder also what accessories might be utilised via the 4 USB ports?

Apparently that bird footage and Zelda demo were real-time.

Keep it in mind it's highly unlikely we're going to get that standard when release rolls round. Look at the original PS3/360 tech demo's, they got no where near those levels and still haven't.

I would be very surprised if Wii U managed to stick to the projections.

how can people comment on the graphics shown like on tekken? we were all watching live streams taken with cameras at a distance, taking images of demo's played on a projector to a large screen.......:blank:

until we see direct demo's etc we can't exactly say it doesn't look good

But it was taken from the same distancee and same cameras for the other games and they looked awesome. It's fair to attack Tekken.

Also: apart from WiiU:

Really looking forward to the Zelda concerts now, and finally getting slightly hyped for Skyward sword..

Where can I find this Reggie live interview?

no blue-ray...... :( oh well, looks like i'm keeping the ps3 for blueray

It was never going to happen, just like the Wii and DVD's.

That's good new about the controller being comfortable... should have known!... it is Nintendo!

He also said the medium will not be a limiter to the experience. Well it can't be standard dvd's because the Xbox 360 is still struggling with those!

It was never going to happen, just like the Wii and DVD's.

well the look to have delivered everything else i was living in hope, but no blueray should mean lower costs

The controller has a microphone right?... so we could get the voice recognition seen in Mass Effect 3 with Kinect.

Aha. First of all, let me say, that I am hyped. Yes, I would've loved some more details and some more game announcements, but I'm loving it so far.

I just don't get people getting confused or being irrational about some stuff.

- It is a new console. My brother was confused, but I don't get how Nintendo fans here on the forum get confused who've been informed of every rumour so far.. I mean, it was more or less what we were expecting right? Shame on you for everyone who thought it was a Wii accessory. To me it was clear from the beginning, and yes, the emphasis was clearly on the controller (for good reason), but the console was in the background. It is HD. It's backwards compatible with anything Wii, so good for us who have 5 remotes and various other stuff.

- The controller. It's like a classic controller, but with some of the remote capabilities, and of course the (touch)screen.

(come on Daft, do you really expect an HD screen in a controller? This should not be much higher priced than a remote if they want this to succeed.. It is not a new / alternative handheld).

Looking forward to see what they come up for this, but they don't have to go out of the way to invent gimmicky features for it. But it's obvious that has far more uses apart from gameplay. Really looking forward to it. Also, and this will probably depend on the game (and unknown technical limitations), but it is possible to not use a TV screen and play some games directly on the controller. So play an HD game on the TV, play an SD game on your controller, or use both. My only worry is the weight of this thing. I think it'll feel comfortable enough, thinking about it, my DS lite or DSi never game me trouble. This looks like it will feel somewhat like a wider DS, with an extra grip. Also.. They will undoubtedly get enough feedback on E3.. Enough time to make various adjustments before launch.

- Come on, complaints about the name? I thought we were passed that. Yes, I also hated the name Wii all those many years ago, but I got over it. I thought all of us did. They only added a letter for fuck's sake. It's smart, they kept the Wii brand name.

Again, would have loved some more technical details, and some substantial game announcements, but I am really looking forward to it.

I agree with all of this. My only concerns - and they're objective - are that they might be doing this all too late. What with Battlefield and Arkham etc pre-dating the machine by a good stretch, is it likely many will make the switch. I think branding has secured people too much.

That said, Nintendo will likely 'catch-up' as it were with iterative hardware to negate that issue.

I think they're too bullish with their philosophy in the sense that clearly a standard controller would be a wise option, but instead they're bolting it into the tablet. It's just a tad stubborn, because clearly they see a need for the 'traditional' options and figurations but there's a refusal to admit it. They're disguising it and hiding it by attaching it to a minimalist device. I guess you can't have both the tab and a more conventional controller because there'd be even more accessories for your Nintendo shed. Maybe that's coming next?

That Zelda tech demo looked awesome, hope it comes to fruition.

Edited by dwarf

I think they're planning to make the experience in games like Battlefield/Batman etc... different enough with the new controller, that there's still reason to buy them even if they're late coming to the system.

I think they're planning to make the experience in games like Battlefield/Batman etc... different enough with the new controller, that there's still reason to buy them even if they're late coming to the system.

I wouldn't buy anything that's ostensibly the same on two occasions, unless it's a perishable.

To b ehonest, if the wii owenrs who don't have a HD console buy Wii u and all these games then it'll be an incredible launch. It's a start, nintendo haven't had these so it's a very good thing. But there does need to be new stuff too. It's a really really weird position... If it does EVERYTHING the PS3/360 does and has nintendos first part stuff and the controller is incredible, surely that's enough fora lot of people to move over... no?