NEurope
Ashley

Nintendo's Conference - Tuesday 7th 5pm/6pm

As I watched the 3DS stuff, I was really excited.. then the Wii U stuff began and I felt so disappointed :hmm: I'm still not sure what to make of it but I haven't been sold on it at all so far :sad:

I missed a couple of minutes due to my computer needing a restart but I don't think it would have helped anyway. I'm a little concerned..

Reggie better get his ass over to Gametrailers soon to clear some things up!

Yup. I'm sitting waiting to hear what he has to say.

Why no price?

Probably because it will cost more than 599 USD.

The best part was when Iwata said something like, "and to show us how this new controller can be used, let's see what the person who has put the most thought into it has to say about it: Shigeru Miyamoto".

Miyamoto: "This new controller is very exciting and opens up a lot of new ways to play games. You can play games on your TV, on your controller or both. We're very excited about this. I look forward to seeing what we can come up with."

Well, that clears that up! :blank:

Kotaku has posted this about the specs.

•High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output

•6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution

•Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD carts

•Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"

•Games will also be available as downloadable content

•Console compatible with Wii games and devices

•Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

Here's the new box.

medium_medium_new_nintendo_console_detail_01.jpg

Looks like it could have a hdd?

there seems to be a lot of people ignoring developers etc saying there is a new console and thinking that the controller is for the wii, and that somehow allows it to make the console HD

i despair

If this new console continues to have good 3rd party support, I will probably get one.

my thoughts:

I thought the 3ds was disappointing. It showed pretty much exactly what I expected and I'm not sure it was enough to beat out the Vita. Mario 3ds did NOT blow me away... For some reason the third party games are exciting me more..

The wii U... I need to hear more but the partnership with EA and the third party support is grreat news.

Overall... I'm not sure how to feel.

EA have just said they can absolutely put Mass Effect 3/Battlefield on Wii U... and the controller makes the real difference for them... truely innovative and making a real difference... in their words.

6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution

That's a little disappointing isn't it? Or is it to be expected on a screen that 'small'?

The guy from EA (on GameTrailers) just said that PC Battlefield 3 will be doable on the Wii U, so it's obviously powerful!

Just read this.

Reggie is talkin to the G4 guys now. He said that while the WiiU will be able to play the Wii software, it WILL NOT UPSCALE. It'll still look like a Wii game.

Big kick in the nuts if this is true.

I gotta say i was hoping the whole Wii/Mii philosophy would be left out of the next console.

Does it strike anyone else as blasphemy to have a Mii running around in a Mario platformer?

As many have said, only time will tell on the WiiU. Name sounds iffy, but didn't we all say that when the Wii name was revealed?. 3rd party support, well if sales are strong, i can see continued support. But i reckon things will go like the Wii and the GC, bad sales of the 3rd party games which will eventually cause all the huge 3rd party games to not be released on the WiiU, and once again all the party and dance titles getting thrown onto it instead. As a way to bring in more money for them.

As long as i havn't got to use that controller to play WiiU titles, i shall be happy at least. Support for the Wii accessories for the new console is confirmed, just need titles to be developed that give us a choice of controls. Mainly 1st and 3rd party titles. Using it as an accessory, like Kinect should be for the "core" titles is the way i see it working.

Overall, this E3 for Nintendo was great. Kind of expecting a little more on the way of the 25th Anniversary of Zelda, instead of just re-releasing 2 games in 3D (Links Awakening and Ocarina of Time). But over-all, i am impressed with what Nintendo have offered us.

Now then, i think i'll need to get a TV with more HDMI ports by next year.

Just read this.

Reggie is talkin to the G4 guys now. He said that while the WiiU will be able to play the Wii software, it WILL NOT UPSCALE. It'll still look like a Wii game.

Big kick in the nuts if this is true.

If thats true, it is indeed a kick in the happy sack. It seems that Nintendo can't do what the other giants have done.

Edited by Jimbob

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the-wiiu-nintendos-next-console/

better pictures there

i'm impressed,

i'm also laughing at all the trolls and idiots on Gamespot etc who, because nobody held up the new console (like the gamecube) think its just a controller for the wii. Its laughable really

And the people who are complaining its not the next gen are well odd.

games on the ps3/360 (now) look loads better than launch due to 5 years playing with them, and the wiiu seemed to have graphics the same as/better than what they are currently putting out now. so what will the wiiiu be like in 5 years?

some people are just haters

A bit underwhelmed by that conference. Luigi's Mansion 2 was a nice announcement but they showed very little of Skyward Sword (and that was the only Wii game mentioned, no The Last Story or anything else), very few new games and I'm not sure where I stand on the WiiU, both the controller and name neither of which have impressed me greatly.

I'm convinced, but I need confirmation. Has Reggie said it's a new stationary or just a new accesory? Looks like he's finished on GT, or I'm at the wrong site.

On the name.... HAHA, I KNEW they wouldn't drop the Wii brand, can't believe others thought it would be dropped.

When they showed the controller at first my first thought

"crap, the rumours are right"

Seeing the video made me feel better.

Things like the golf thing when it was put on the ground and it showed exactly the type of terrain the ball was in and you used the Wiimote to play.

Something like that could work really well in other more "hardcore" games. It could create a sort of virtual reality, putting you "in the middle" of the game room.

That Ninja star thing I liked too... shows Nintendo still have motion control in mind in some way which if used right could work well.

Only major concerns I have about the controller itself is how will it feel to hold, looks like it could be awkward and heavy. that's what I want to know, Can't wait for some "hand-on" reports.

Would have liked to have seen more of the console itself though.

Good to see the 3rd parties fully on board and excited about it.

I just hope for things like FPS games the Wii U retains a Wiimote control option, I suck on FPS's with Dual Analogue, I suck less with the Wiimote :D

I'm actually fairly excited about it now.... though a pricing (on the console and extra controllers) would have been handy, that could make or break things alot

Wonder what they will call the "new controller"? the "Controll U" maybe?