NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Travelling you have done

Summer is approaching! Are you a traveller? Do you wish you'd done more?

Advice on cheap-ish travelling appreciated. I went interrailing a couple years back but it was killer expensive, boo.

Advice on cheap-ish travelling appreciated. I went interrailing a couple years back but it was killer expensive, boo.

Ditto/ditto. I spent £900 on 3-week interrailing, which KILLED me.

Looking to be cunted on MDMA for 4 weeks, in a Berlin club. What's the cheapest option?

Buy a cheap diesel, pop on the ferry to france and drive wherever you fancy. When you come back sell the car.

Could always participate in the student brake away. 23rd-30th August, 6 day road trip to Croatia.

http://www.theinternationalpartypeople.com/student_brake_away/student_brake_away_2011

Edited by MoogleViper

Well, I just got back from Konya-Istanbul-Stansted-Home-Heathrow-Chicago-Akron-Kent, OH-Colombus-Dayton-Cleveland-Torontn-Heathrow-Home-Leicester-Home, all for under £800, which isn't too bad.

And now I have tonsillitis, so, fail.

As for Europe, Interailing is the way forward. I did three week, and spent no where near as much as Chair. How did you do that??

Not as much as I like.

I know I will be visiting my brother whose studying in Newark on Trent if I recall correctly, haven't decided on how long I will be there.

I hate. Another summer without GOING ANYWHERE. I hate All And Everyone.

Well I'm going to Orkney, but that's in Scotland so doesn't count and is boring. Though I am jokingly seeing KT Tunstall whilst there.

I've been to,

Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast, not the mainland)

China

South Korea

Thailand

Latvia

Lithuania

Singapore

Australia

Fiji

USA (East and West Coast)

Spain

France

Norway

Going to study in Estonia for 1 year next September and I'm going to drive there in July to check out the Uni, so I'll be able to add Holland, Germany and Poland to the list :D

Travelling is AWESOME!

Edited by Nicktendo

lived in Scotland, Germany, and n.ireland.

been all over scotland and england on holidays/family trips

I go to Florida at least every other year.

My first trip there was last year.

Went to New York last year. I frequently visit London for work and will be going down in July for Emirates Cup. I'll be going to somewhere in the US or Canada in November. Haven't decided where yet, keep changing my mind every other week.

I used to go on holidays to Spain with my family each year when I was younger but more recently I've been able to go away on my own. I went to Denmark with a friend a couple of years ago but didn't really do much travelling and last year I went to Bruges with my brother and 2 friends. Spent 4 days there and just walked around the town each day taking everything in, it was great :D

Generic list of places I've been: Spain, France, Scotland, Denmark, Belgium, Wales.

I think that's it.

Last year (or maybe it was the year before) when Fulham were in the UEFA Europa League, my brother and my dad went to every game. Loads of places in Europe. I'm jealous of them getting to go all around Europe but it was only to watch football so they didn't often stay more than 2 days. If I had the money I'd go around Europe for a month or two I think. Visiting all the N-E regulars ;P

Edited by The Peeps

I've been to Germany, France, Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium and Ibiza. Germany is by far my favourite. Berlin is just incredible, especially the eastern part of the city. From the the hidden art galleries to the downright filthy night life. It's just incredible.

I've been to:

• UK
  • Lanzarote, Spain: Went to the Punta de Papagayo beach, El Diablo Restaurant (on top of a volcano), late artist Cesar Manrique's home, and the Jardin de Cactus.
  • Orlando, FL: Disney World, lol.
  • Thailand: Bangkok, Koh Chang, Pattaya.
  • Hong Kong, China: Used to go and stay there every summer.

Places I would like to visit:

- Florence, Italy: The Pietà!

- Paris, France

- Germany: So I can practice my deteriorating German.

- Japan: Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka are a must!

- Vancouver, BC, Canada: I've got relatives there, and it sounds like an awesome place overall.

- CA, USA: Lots of friends there.

- Boston, MA: Nice architecture, and I want to see Harvard Square, the Cloud Club, and Café Pamplona.

- Portland, Oregon, USA: The most vegetarian-friendly large city in the US!

- Korea

- Mozart's house, Vienna: I've learned so many of his pieces, time to snoop around in his house!

- Zentralfriedhof, Simmering, also in Vienna: Schubert, Beethoven, and Brahms are buried there, among many others.

- Čachtice Castle, Slovakia: Elizabeth Báthory lived there!

- New York

- Almaty, Kazakhstan: Friends there.

- Scott Pilgrim tour in Toronto à la ShavenWolf!

I guess the above list will have to wait until I have money and am free of homely responsibilities...

The farthest I've traveled was London in 2005. Shameful, I know, but I've never had anyone to travel with and traveling on your own is scary. :hmm:

My dad and my brother hate traveling, so my family has never done much in the way of traveling for vacations, either. My dad travels a couple of hours out of town once a year to stay with his aunt for a couple of days, and I'm convinced my brother will spend the rest of his life without ever going outside the country.

But yes, I will travel the world (or at least select parts of it) at some vague point in the future.

Other Canadian provinces I've traveled to (I live in Manitoba): BC (Vancouver, Nelson), Alberta (Calgary, Driven Through), Saskatchewan (Driven Through), Ontario (Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Dryden, Sudbury, Various Campgrounds, Driven through, I've flown through Toronto several times, but never left the airport), Quebec (Montreal and surrounding area, Hull), Nova Scotia(Halifax, Cape Breton Island).

US States I've traveled to: California(LA, San Diego), Arizona (Phoenix), Florida (Miami), North Dakota (Driven Through), Minnesota (Minneapolis, St.Paul), New York (Geneseo).

European countries of I've traveled to: France (Paris), Germany (Karlsruhe and surrounding area).

Places I've been -

Scotland / England (not many places in England though)

France (Paris mainly)

Germany

Belgium

The Netherlands

Portugal

Spain

The U.S.A (Florida...6...times, New York, Washington.)

Countries I've been to:

All the British countries (sorry Ireland).

France

Belgium

Sweden

Spain (and tenerife and majorca)

Italy (went on a cruise and visited lots of places including Pompei, Sardinia, Sicily, Naples)

Bulgaria

Amercia (Florida and Buffalo for a day when we went to Canada)

Canada (Toronto and a few other places including Niagra)

Definitely want to visit loads more places, especially Autralia/New Zealand and the far east.

I decided the other day at some point in the next few years (when I have some money) I want a three-legged holiday: Paris, New York, Tokyo. I'm a whore for a good city and I've been to two of them (NY and Tokyo) and would love to go back.

Hoping to go to Italy in the next year or two and try a few places around there. Said I'd do it this summer if I get a job before I finish uni but seeing as that's about four weeks away and I've not applied for any in a few weeks (damn my lack of free time!) I don't see that happening.

And while we're at it I've been to Spain, Portugal, Greece and probably other places I've forgotten as they were family holidays. Went to somewhere in Brittany with the school. And went to Amsterdam for a few hours to play video games. Oh and one night in Switzerland on the way to New York. So...pretty much just New York and Japan.

Travelling on your own is scary, but you soon get used to it and meet loads of awesome people, Don't stay in hotels, stay in hostels as you don't find people walking into your hotel room asking if you fancy going out for a drink do you.

Get a rough guide/lonely planet very handy when your looking for a bloody hostel after you've just arrived at your destination :)

chairdriver get a easy jet flight to berlin, stay here in a massive dorm room http://www.generatorhostels.com/en/berlin/?gclid=CP-NqNT_jKkCFQEY4QodoHzNiw the MDMA will soon turn up :grin:

Edited by James

Places I've been to abroad are France, Spain (mainland plus a number of islands), Greece, Cyrpus, USA (Florida), Gibraltar and Monaco. And Jersey if that counts.

In a week I'll have just arrived in Rome, then be going onto Florence and Pisa. Should be brill. :)

Lived in Australia for a year, moving to Vancouver for a year next year. :D

Been loads of other places too but only on shorter holidays.

I'm going to Ayia Napa on holiday for 2 weeks with my friends but I wouldn't really class that as 'travelling'.

In terms of places I've been, off the top of my head:

Italy - Rome (long weekend), Assisi (2 weeks), Piza (day, en-route to Assisi), Cervinia (1 week, skiing)

France - All over it, been loads of times

Germany - Went to visit family when I was really young, no idea where

Cyprus - 2 week holiday with my family, did all the touristy stuff, sight-seeing etc

Ireland - Went to visit family

Spain - Barcelona, 4 day school trip, did all the touristy stuff, great fun!

Malawi - 3 week school exchange trip, stayed up in the North but for the 3rd week we stayed at a town near the Lake and then at a National Park

Kos (Greek island - 1 week holiday with mates

Zakynthos (or Zante) (Greek island) - 2 week holiday with mates

Zermatt, Austria - Skied over to it from Italy for the day once... Doesn't really count!

I'm sure there's more but nothing that pops into my head! A lot of my friends have gone off travelling for the Summer etc but that's never really appealed to me for a number of reasons! First off, I'd have to leave my job which I needed to fund myself through uni and it would be hard to get back. Also I'd struggle to be able to save up the money needed to go off and I'd rather go on a 'lads holiday' or go skiing!

I thought I had a good travelhack site, but you have to pay to get their sekretz.

I would say that planning everything ahead of time online is the best way. Scope out all of the cheapest hotels/restaurants/etc. on your route, take note of special offers or online deals.

I'm not particularly well travelled. Been to Paris twice with Ine, as well as going to different parts of France with school years ago. Been to London quite often, as well as living in different parts of England and Wales.

The only thing is that I've been to two countries that a lot of my friends have never been to before and maybe will never go to. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Preferred Saudi Arabia a lot more. There was a definite wow factor that I had when I was there. Saw some beautiful mosques and managed to get lost for hours by myself when I was a kid there. They are huge, cannot emphasise that enough...especially in Mecca.

I'd love to visit South America, one day. Also, I imagine Russia would be interesting. Germany seems to get good press as well from people who visit there, so I want to see it for myself.