N-Europe

Phoenix Wright Movie

Happenstance

While discussing his new, 3D Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, as well as general concept of ritual suicide, director Takashi Miike confirmed the rumor that an adaptation of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is on his slate.

Speaking with Karin Badt

Asked if he was tired of his reputation for violence, Miike responded: "I know there is an audience out there who expects violence in my films, but I am not going to put a lid on violence. Also it depends on the film I am working on. If my character commits violent acts, it becomes violent. Hari kiri for a samurai is not violent, it is their way of life."

He laughed: "To have blood, all one has to do is slit the arm of an actor."

But in his next film, there will be very "little blood": "It is a very light comedy that I am filming now, a court drama, based on a video game, the Nintendo game DS."

Miike is best known in North America for works like Ichi the Killer, notoriously screened with vomit bags, and the recent, to-the-death period piece 13 Assassins, but he's also adapted classic kid's anime Yatterman, and more recently, Nintama Rantaro- NInja Kids!!!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/05/23/takashi-miike-confirms-ace-attorney-project

Well, certainly should be interesting.

This just can't go well... Phoenix Wright is fine in a game but screaming in the courtroom and every single witness lying through their teeth would not go down in a real life situation. What is the penalty for perjury in most countries? They lie repeatedly and blatantly to the court and the only reason Phoenix can say they are lying is because he stole evidence from the crime-scene. Meanwhile, a detective might have figured out the killer if the evidence had been left. My disbelief... It may not be suspended in a movie :(

I look forward to seeing this movie but part of me is crying because video game adaptations hardly work! Phoenix Wright is an awesome game and I'd hate to see it get messed up so I hope he does a great job on this.

Would be interesting to see how the characters would look.

This just can't go well... Phoenix Wright is fine in a game but screaming in the courtroom and every single witness lying through their teeth would not go down in a real life situation. What is the penalty for perjury in most countries? They lie repeatedly and blatantly to the court and the only reason Phoenix can say they are lying is because he stole evidence from the crime-scene. Meanwhile, a detective might have figured out the killer if the evidence had been left. My disbelief... It may not be suspended in a movie :(

I actually agree... personally I think it works as a game. But I'll ask bluey as she saw the Opera.

The movie should keep the soundtrack of the game and the "Objection", "Take That" and "Hold It!" pictures, that would be epic. It should be done in the style of Scott Pilgrim, kind of like the game and like a comic book at the same time. Just imagining it right now and it's awesome!

People who are familiar who Takashi Miike's work: d'you think he would do the adaptation justice (lol)?

If he can manage to adapt something as difficult as MPD Psycho, I think he should be fine making a Phoenix Wright movie. I think it would work better as a TV series though..

No please...not if he uses his Batman voice again...

I remember him having plenty of voices to choose from.

After Professor Layton, this would have been perfect as an feature animation (like Cube suggests). Then after that they could do a crossover like in the games! :D

This, I'm curious and interested, but definitely not as much as if this was animated.

I remember him having plenty of voices to choose from.

After Professor Layton, this would have been perfect as an feature animation (like Cube suggests). Then after that they could do a crossover like in the games! :D

This, I'm curious and interested, but definitely not as much as if this was animated.

Then why did he use the Batman voice in Terminator :(

I posted this in the 3DS / DS section.

His certainly prolific. I mean yeah he did do Audition, Ichi the Killer and Happiness of the Katakuris but he's done Ultraman films and adapted animes and stuff.

I'm sure it'll be fun and enjoyable.