Alternative Vote, please vote!

Rummy

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

464025772846f8d37681.jpg

Literally a jig-worthy coast.

But yes, as ReZinald guessed...I war artijoking.

Though I WAS drunk when I made my post, I had voted earlier in the day when I was sober, as I was driving my car at the time. Genuinely I did vote a bit off my schedule, as things got held up and confused and then I sort of drove past my polling station by accident and decided to pull up(terribly) there and then. I won't deny I sell myself pretty short for drink(im actually well drunk right now) but I'm not sure I'd ever sell out my beliefs. Not unless the girl was pretty enough, anyway. So actually yes, yes I would. I think I was trying to highlight the apathy of people and how amazed I am by it, though tbh I'm not really sure...I was drunk.

So, I did vote Yes to AV, though it is pretty much gonna lose, but meh, I tried. Not like I'm any worse off, in the relative run. (I was going to append this with something massively racist, but decided it's still too soon and I like you guys too much to get b&)

((Ftr I am massively racist))

EDIT: LOL just realised >implies I only ever drive my car when sober. Not that I don't, constable.

How many weeks do you think Nick Clegg will last as Lib Dem leader then? I'd wager the coalition will fall too not long after he departs. Not sure who would replace him though. I'd like to say Paddy Ashdown, but isn't that impossible with him being a Lord and all? I guess that leaves Chris Hulne and Danny Alexander. Oh joy...

Also, congrats to the SNP! a fell fought campaign :)

Politicians who like to keep winning don't like change, and people are stupid.

true...thats why we've seen the scaremongering tactics about how AV could be bad for the country etc....and like you said some people are stupid and just believe all these unsubstantiated claims about the costs and risks of hung parliament (which we have anyway) etc...

I'm just echoing sentiments of the thread as I know nothing of English politics except for what the cats have told me.

Maybe, but long winning politicians who don't like to lose sounds more Labour than Conservative to me. Surprized they weren't supporting AV more really, being the big losers last time they have the most ground to make up.

Maybe, but long winning politicians who don't like to lose sounds like any long winning politician to me

Fixed. Diageo wasn't referring to a specific party, only to what would be true, regardless of country.

Maybe, but long winning politicians who don't like to lose sounds more Labour than Conservative to me. Surprized they weren't supporting AV more really, being the big losers last time they have the most ground to make up.

The Conservatives don't want AV because the party would be fucked under that system. How many Labour/Lib Dem/Green voters do you know who would put the Tories as their second choice? They'd lose in almost every marginal. We'd likely never see a Conservative majority government ever again!

Kinda an unfair system in that regard really. Then again, if Scotland winds up Independent then FPTP will give us the opposite, constant Tory governments with a weak Labour opposition. We'd then either have to increase the number of constituencies in the North of England or move t a new voting system.

Edited by McPhee

It was pretty obvious that AV wouldn't win, aside from people on here I hadn't heard of anyone in favour of it. Not really a better system than what's in place, and it sure didn't help being spearheaded by a party leader as charismatic as Robert Mugabe.

It was pretty obvious that AV wouldn't win, aside from people on here I hadn't heard of anyone in favour of it. Not really a better system than what's in place, and it sure didn't help being spearheaded by a party leader as charismatic as Robert Mugabe.

That's a bit unfair on poor Ed :p

I'm delighted for the SNP success but the AV result although expected is still bitter, especially given the polls from no more then two or three months ago. Next person I meet who claims voting never changed anything is going to get vomited on.

Well, I've had a bit of a disaster voting.

I didn't get to vote.

I applied for a postal vote ages ago, to be sent to my London address. They sent it to my home address. My mum posts it up to me but it goes missing in the post. Phone up on Tuesday to see if there's anything they can do. They say if I come home and go to the council office, they can give me new voting papers on the day.

I get a train home, phone up to let them know I was coming. I'm then told they can only give them out before 5pm. This is at 5:15pm. Would have been nice if they told me this when I talked to them on Tuesday. Very angry, will be writing many letters of complaint and asking for them to pay for my train ticket.

My vote wouldn't have made a difference (my council now has 54 Con, 6 Lib) and New Forest voted down AV 75% to 25%, but I believe in democracy and hate that I didn't get to have my say.

I'm very proud of where I live in London, Islington one of the few places in the country to vote YES to AV.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!