N-Europe

Funny Stuff Thread

Goafer

Does your college actually monitor what pages you go to? I thought most of them just detected torrents. They're really just concerned about getting sued for copyright infringement for the most part.

Monitoring is a pretty common thing. My history professor once told me that the CIA monitors my uni's computers. They share lots of things with the American embassy as well.

I didn't want to sound stupid but I don't even know what the answer is. :(

hahaha!... I'm now completely lost.

I immediately thought 20, but is it 10 + (10 x 0), or 10 / + 10 / x 0

... oh dear!

EDIT: Oh chair says it's 10 + (10 x 0)

Edited by Retro_Link

^ hahaha!... I'm now completely lost.

I immediately thought 20, but is it 10 + (10 x 0), or 10 / + 10 / x 0

... oh dear!

Well, there's no possible way it could be 20 (under conventional definition of + and x), since at some point in the calculation you're times'ing by 0, which always sends any value to 0.

If you defined addition to be distributive over multiplication, you'd have

10 + 10 x 0 = (10 + 10) x 0 = 20 x 0 = 0

But realistically the answer is 10.

Well, making the assumption that we're working in Z (the integers, or whole numbers), and that multiplication is distributive over addition (ie. times'ing happens before plus'ing), the answer is

10 + (10x0) = 10 + 0 = 10.

What could it be other than Z? (I mean this non-rhetorically)

What could it be other than Z? (I mean this non-rhetorically)

Anything "bigger" than Z. [ie. Q, R, C, H etc etc].

Could or couldn't be N (natural numbers), because it's down to convention whether 0 is or isn't a member of the natural numbers.

EDIT: Or it could be some abstract set, simplest being {0,10}, which you could define a Cayley table for [which would tell you how to multiply and add each of the members].

Edited by chairdriver

Anything "bigger" than Z. [ie. Q, R, C, H etc etc].

Could or couldn't be N (natural numbers), because it's down to convention whether 0 is or isn't a member of the natural numbers.

Yeah, but presumably the numbers in question are also in Z (or N), and however you define binary functions in other systems, you should want them to align with Z and N when only integers/natural numbers are involved... right? Or not right? (and what's H? should probably take this out of this thread...)

EDIT: Or it could be some abstract set, simplest being {0,10}, which you could define a Cayley table for [which would tell you how to multiply and add each of the members].

Oh yeah, I guess so. That's cool.

Edited by Supergrunch
Automerged Doublepost

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!