NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Arrival is an absolutely beautiful film. The music, the cinematography, the acting, everything is absolutely top nothing. A real thought provoking science fiction film.
Saw the movie yesterday and have to say i agree.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve, who also made Prisoners, Enemy, Incendies and Sicario. Only seen Prisoners and Enemy myself, but those movies were pretty good.

Also really looking forward to his take on Blade Runner.

The final trailer for Beauty and the Beast dropped. Everything about it looks perfect and I hope it is. I haven't been this excited for a film since Fantastic Beasts. The casting looks perfect, the song sounds so good and I need the soundtrack in my life.

I've already put £20 aside to see this in 2D and 3D. I'm just so ready for this film.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ok, so the director of Arrival and some other really cool movies is not just doing Blade Runner, but also Dune.

With that last title, he is going to try to do what David Lynch didnt do decades ago. Thats a pretty bold move.

Just saw Paterson....wanted to like it but did anyone else find this mind numbingly boring?

Glad to see Arrival getting love here. Really enjoyed it!

Just watched Arrival.

Absolutely incredible. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Everything was top notch and I can't stop thinking about it.

Oscars.

I generally don't care for them, but my brother was watching, plus I entered a prediction contest. Caught a bit of the beginning, checked the rest afterwards.

Janelle Monáe's dress. Just wow.

I'm glad Emma Stone won.. I'm in love with her, and she's great. I was almost in tears during her rant in Birdman, and she was awesome in La La land's audition scene. Those facial expressions.. I could watch a whole film that's just a close-up of her face. I guess I'm just into crack whores.

Glad that Zootopia won, that was a nice suprise! I predicted Moana. My personal favourite was Ma vie de courgette, but I knew that wasn't going to win. Zootopia would be my personal 2nd choice, but I felt it too "edgy" for the Oscars, so I went with Moana for my prediction. The animated feature catagory is (so far) the only catagory where I've seen all films, and they're actually all great, though some more than others.

And how about La la land Moonlight winning the best film huh?

I can't remember all my predictions, but I have at least 4 correct. I predicted best film, best director, best supporting actress, and best actress correctly. Was hoping Viggo Mortensen would win best actor though, Captain Fantastic is a great film, which I don't think many people have seen.

Edited by Sméagol

Went to see Their Finest last night. Pretty good.

Adam Sandler is apparently really good in The Meyerowitz Stories

I love his early "Adam Sandler" movies (Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, Big Daddy, Anger Management, The Longest Yard; yes, I also like Click - don't shoot me) but damn it he's so much better in serious movies.

Punch-Drunk Love is awesome and Reign over Me made me cry like a little bitch. He's such a good actor and it seems that in The Meyerowitz Stories he proves it once more.

Can't wait to see it.

Adam Sandler is apparently really good in The Meyerowitz Stories

I love his early "Adam Sandler" movies (Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, Big Daddy, Anger Management, The Longest Yard; yes, I also like Click - don't shoot me) but damn it he's so much better in serious movies.

Punch-Drunk Love is awesome and Reign over Me made me cry like a little bitch. He's such a good actor and it seems that in The Meyerowitz Stories he proves it once more.

Can't wait to see it.

I'm a huge Sandler fan and enjoy all his films. I love how he puts little cameos of various characters from his past films into his newer stuff. He also looks after his mates, as well as his wife, and gives them roles in most of his movies.

I LOVE Reign Over Me. It's such a hidden gem. I find it to be quite a powerful and moving movie. I recommend everyone give it a watch, even if they can't stand Sandler.

I LOVE Reign Over Me. It's such a hidden gem. I find it to be quite a powerful and moving movie. I recommend everyone give it a watch, even if they can't stand Sandler.

This gets me everytime. I have tears in my eyes now...

It's such a powerful performance.

Roger was probably my second favourite Bond. Sad to see him go, but he did get to a good age.

I expected that trailer to be completely crap but I actually laughed a couple of times. Seems like they updated the premise a bit from the old 90s-movie. May watch it once it hits Netflix. 

That actually looks quite good...it seems only related to the original in vague premise only, and the cast looks top notch.

Edited by bob

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like absolute garbage then? :p

I probably would watch an actual pile of garbage if it had Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in it.

54 minutes ago, bob said:

I probably would watch an actual pile of garbage if it had Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in it.

I hear this is what the new Baywatch film is.

As a child of the '90s, I'm very interested in the Baywatch film, but they'll never match the artistic quality of the TV series.

Baywatch and Jumanji look like absolute dog shit. The Rock is becoming the new Adam Sandler.  

• Like 1

Been watching a lot of Ghibli lately (it's quickly becoming one of my favourite summer traditions) and it still amazes me that these films are a) that beautiful, b) that rich in depth and story, and c) so subtly accurate in its depiction of humans.

I genuinely think that especially minor touches, such as a character accidentally hitting their head in an interior location or kicking their shoes against the floor to make sure that it's on correctly, not only deepen the characters, but make them so much easier to empathise with: these are small daily challenges/reassurances many of us face/act out. Compare that form of storytelling to the majority of blockbuster films releasing these days and it's relatively easy to understand the difference in the design of each character and how that betters the film they're in.

Onto newer films, I'm hoping to see Spider-Man: Homecoming and Wonder Woman in a double hitter next Wednesday (I was waiting on WW reviews anyhow after feeling burned by BvS and Suicide Squad last year, but being pretty severely ill has dragged that through to this month), and I can't wait. I love movies, but I've had a really tough time this year personally, which has made it nigh-on impossible to go to the cinema, which is an experience I typically love. Especially excited because of the great reviews for both films so far :)

• Like 1