NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Life of Pi.

Ang Lee fucking nailed it. Amazing. Except for one scene in particular, just an amazing adaptation. Incredibly beautiful.

8/10.

Which scene might that be?

Just watched Resident Evil: Retribution.

Really enjoyed it. Got to say, the openings to both the last two films have been absolutely brilliant, and the music in Retribution was also really good.

I wasn't a massive fan of the first film but as the series has gone on I've enjoyed it more and more. It's more enjoyable than the recent crappy games, to say the least.

I watched a few films on the plane;

... So the first half of the film was "hey I'm a new character and I'm going to answer a question about teh weather with a tangental description about something that will obviously be more important to the end of the movie" and "Hey I'm alfred and suddenly I can explain to the motherfucking batman what the baddies are all about."

Bane's voice was a different volume to the rest of the voices, and just sounded like a bad sean connery impression. The "batman montage" music from the previous films seemed to be endless for the firs 90 mins, as if that could forgive the shitty dialogue and general plot. No tone, no pace.

Robin's arrival was all "lol u need 2 kno da scripture" shit. I get it because I know it (a bit) but I thought it was weak.

Arthur seeing batman and catwoman? Sure, I get that it could be his fantasy, but it's just shit as well.

I enjoyed the latter half, but it really seemed like batman forever had been remade rather than a direct sequel to The Dark Knight.

Another example of a trilogy where the first two films are way better. The third film always should be viewed to complete the trilogy... but it didn't really deliver in terms of a complete stand-alone movie.

TED was greatgreatgreat. It will not do well for future generations but it was great to see a "what happens after 'happily ever after'" movie, even if it was predictable. It was in the execution that the laughs were found. I was watching this in a plane full of sleeping people and it was so hard to stifle myself.

.. I watched a bunch of other movies but I have nothing to say about them.

Jeez , I am exhausted. I've really spent the last week watching movies back to back with a supply of never-ending leftover turkey. It was perfect.

I watched Ponyo, Morocco, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now!, Rebecca, The Sound of Music, Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, On The Waterfront, Goodfellas, Some Like It Hot, Roman Holiday and Charades among a bunch of others.

I loved them all ! (This comment's purpose is more so to remember which ones i watched over the Christmas :p)

I think the most wonderful ones were Blade Runner (I wanted to live in that dystopian future, the film noir-sequence style was beautiful), On The Waterfront (Brando's performance really impressed me) and Ponyo (I spent days of Christmas watching black-and-white flcks along with war movies which are really only have a brown / grey palette so the colours made me high and happy)

The Raid

Fucking amazingly violent. Awesomeness. Kicking. Punching. Machetes. So many machetes.

8/10

BenX

Don't know if it's known outside of Belgium/Netherlands/Germany.

A movie about a guy who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome and who gets bullied to the extent that he wants to kill himself.

Beautiful movie with a great ending.

Jack Reacher

It was better than I expected it to be! As a big Lee Child fan I thought Tom Cruise was all wrong and I came out of the cinema still convinced there are better actors to play Jack but that Tom did a better than expected job of it.

I would like to see more Jack Reacher films as the books are great page turners but I'm not sure that'll happen.

Well, Pixar are doing a Cars 3...

Speaking of Pixar I just watched 'Up!' for the first time, it was on BBC one so no ad breaks; what a great animated film, I genuinely enjoyed it.

Definitely worth watching and a great film for the New Year. :)

Speaking of Pixar I just watched 'Up!' for the first time, it was on BBC one so no ad breaks; what a great animated film, I genuinely enjoyed it.

Definitely worth watching and a great film for the New Year. :)

You should be ashamed for not watching it sooner. One of my favourites. EVAAAAR.

Well, Pixar are doing a Cars 3...

They are?

Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, The Inside Out and the Untitled Dia de los Muertos Pixar Project are the only Pixar films I currently know about.

Oh wait. I was going by http://www.bigscreenanimation.com/ which is usually correct, seems they were wrong. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it happened one day.

But here's some concept art from all the films Cube mentioned (in the order mentioned)!

pixarfuture4.jpg

pixarfuture1.jpg

pixarfuture2.jpg

pixarfuture3.jpg

The Cars 3 thing was probably referring to Planes, a non-Pixar spin-off.

The way I see it, the Cars merchandising allows for Pixar to take more risks.

Just finished watching this:

series_16408.jpg

Nice art style and not a bad plot. Although at the end they were just casually on a construction crane and I wanted to scream "GET DOWN FROM THERE!!" I'm not fond of heights.

A movie about a guy who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome and who gets bullied to the extent that he wants to kill himself.

Beautiful movie with a great ending.

Are you sure those two paragraphs aren't for two different films...?

Just watched The Impossible with the girlfriend. An absolute emotional rollercoaster. Brilliant acting and an inspirational story. Early contender for film of the year for me.

I feel like i need counselling after that. Emotional stuff

You'll have to watch the film to understand that post I guess. =P

I've seen it a few times, but that's because it is Flemish and they liked showing it on tv all the time haha.

Christopher Nolan's possible next film -

Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Bros

With his Batman trilogy now complete, Christopher Nolan has found his next project.

According to multiple sources, Nolan has set his sights on a sci-fi project titled Interstellar, which he will next direct and produce. The project involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. The script is based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Sources say that dealmaking has been underway for months and is described as very complex.

Interstellar is set up at Paramount but would be made by both Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan and his Syncopy banner are based and for which he has made the three Batman movies as well as Insomnia and Inception. (The Prestige was made for Disney.)

The script for Interstellar was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, as well as Prestige. Jonathan Nolan (known as Jonah) also has a "story by" credit for Memento, Chris Nolan’s breakout movie.

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct Interstellar and produce with Lynda Obst. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.

Regardless of how a deal shakes out, Interstellar has all the elements that seem to attract Nolan. Apart from his brother’s involvement, there is the complex and multi-layered nature of the story.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-nolan-talks-direct-interstellar-410616

Which scene might that be?

The scene where they felt the need to over-clarify the alegory. After Pi explained the other version of the story, they used the author to over simplify a very clever alegory... and that was just unnecessary.

The scene where they felt the need to over-clarify the alegory. After Pi explained the other version of the story, they used the author to over simplify a very clever alegory... and that was just unnecessary.

Though obvious, i quite liked the summary and added clarity which that little moment gives to be honest. I wasn't sure how i felt about the film as a whole when i came out of the cinema, kind of felt like a bit of a let down and anti-climax at the end. Still, i'd probably watch it again.

Well, I should've written more :D As Eenuh said:

You'll have to watch the film to understand that post I guess. =P.

Just watched Carnage.

One of the best movies I've seen.

Going to treat myself to The Great Dictator this evening. First time I'll see a movie with Charlie Chaplin.

nobody-knows-wide.jpg

Watched this last night (and thus spent this morning going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole reading about child abandonment). Was a very quiet stoic film, but worked really well. Really impressive performance from the lead actor who was about 14 at the time.

Thanks Netflix!

Les Mis was good.

Visually stunning at times, but not often.

Very very strong performances all round.

I did find it difficult to connect emotionally though. In fact....spoilers?

Anne Hathaway died

I didn't really feel anything (as in after that event). Anne Hathaway's "I Dream A Dream" did send shivers down my spine.

But yeah...hmmm. Starts amazingly, and definitely dwindles throughout.

A new Pirates of the Caribbean has been confirmed for July 10 2015 . Has Johnny Depp.

Also, a new Muppets film is out March 21 2014. However, this one will be utter crap due to the presence of Ricky Gervais.