NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Damn straight :yay: Finding Nemo is my favourite Pixar film, and considering the marvellous job they did with the Toy Story sequels, I'm really looking forward to this.

If only life was actually like She's out of me league, and we could all pull smoking chicks like Alice Eve.

One day.

Movie related - Roger Ebert, the great American film critic, is dead. His last written words was in his online journal, published on Tuesday, announcing a leave of absence to deal with illness -

So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I’ll see you at the movies.

RIP Roger. See you in the lobby.

I don't like critics in general, but that is sad news. Jaw cancer wasn't it?

Thyroid cancer, took the use of his jaw from him in surgery. Didn't speak a word after 2006. He had been diagnosed with cancer in his hip earlier this year too.

If anyone needs to know what sort of awesome he was, here's his take on the idea of media causing violence -

"Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking soundbites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, ‘that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about ‘The Basketball Diaries’?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machinegun?”

The obscure 1995 Leonardo DiCaprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. Kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, “The NBC Nightly News” and other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them.

The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.”

Edited by gaggle64

Didn't he condemn violent video games, though?

Anyway, though I widely disagreed with Ebert sometimes (and agreed wholeheartedly with him at other times), there's no denying he was a great man in the business who will forever be remembered.

Didn't he condemn violent video games, though?

He said that they "weren't art" and didn't like them. He did say something about media and violence:

Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.

Dude, that's the same text that Gaggle posted :heh:

I thought I'd read it somewhere.

Just thought I'd post the trailer for Ron Howard's upcoming racing movie Rush (now in HD) in here. It looks like it could be as fabulous as I dared hope. There's something very Apollo 13-esque about the way it gets a camera right into the machines and the man/machine/danger realtionship, not to mention the period of the setting. Looking forward to it tremendously, I really hope it stands up.

Edited by gaggle64

1st trailer for Elysium - Neil Blomkamp's (District 9) new movie.

It looks fucking spectacular.

Edited by gaggle64

Looks awesome!

Wish they wouldn't put dates to these films though. Find it hard believe that humanity would be able to anywhere close to that in 140 years from now though.

(Elysium also looks a bit like the Killzone 4 city :p)

Looks awesome!

Wish they wouldn't put dates to these films though. Find it hard believe that humanity would be able to anywhere close to that in 140 years from now though.

(Elysium also looks a bit like the Killzone 4 city :p)

Yeah! Just give the Tories another few years in power and we'd be there :heh:

I finally got to see:

PHGEpnF6vD0UJP_1_m.jpg

The Croods (Chris Sanders & Kirk De Micco, 2013)

The opening to this film is phenomenal. Wildly inventive and very fast paced. It reminds me of the good part of Tin Tin during that long action sequence where the scroll is being passed about albeit in The Croods it’s with an egg. That whole scene is really well animated introduces you to the Crood family along with their nuances and sets the whole tone of the film.

At its centre it is really a tale of Grugg, the father of the Croods, he is the one who struggles the most with the adapting to the new surroundings. He is afraid of being forgotten in a larger sense with his world (and cave) crumbling around him but also of being replaced as the patriach of the family with the arrival of Guy who is less stone age and more of a new age man with less brawn but more brains.

The rivalry between them is cleared up too quickly and had a better foundation been laid out during the movie then the impact of the scene when they both realise they can work together would’ve worked so much better. The better played out relationship is between Grugg and his daughter Eep who are at the heart of the films idea of being able to adapt to things around you including family members.

The middle part is where the film gets a bit stagnant. It’s set up this larger than life characters and highly gorgeous environment to play in but they don’t know exactly what to do with them so the result is more of a linear approach to the story which was a shame. Much like How to Train your Dragon the humour came out of the situations they were placed in rather than being purposely crass. The use of weird animals in this is an absolute delight and how they are incorporated into the story at times is charming, especially Belt.

The last third of the film brought it back to being a great animated feature. It re-instilled the themes from the first part, racked up the stakes that actually had an emotional punch behind it and the cinematography was superb culminating in a uplifting finale.

:grin:

Marvel have confirmed they have the Daredevil rights back! ;)

Phase 3, then?

I went to see GI Joe: Retaliation last night.

Do not, under any circumstances, go to see this film.

Marvel have confirmed they have the Daredevil rights back! ;)

Phase 3, then?

Was Daredevil even in the Avengers much in the comics?

Though I guess with a lack of Spiderman and others they need to fill in the gaps somehow.

Who do ye think could play the new Daredevil?

Saw Oblivion last week, went in not expecting much came out feeling like this -

Everything_went_better_than_expected.png

Actually really enjoyed it, Didn't find it predictable at all which was something I read as a major downside to the film. Enjoyed the portrayal of Earth after the war, looked stunning, and also loved the location for the little house that Jack built.

Liked the designs for guns, for the personal flying thing he had, and also the defense droids.

Lot's of 'inspiration' shall we say from other classic sci-fi films like Planet of the apes, Alien, Independence day & Matrix.

Worth seeing if you enjoy sci-fi movies.

Just seen Dredd on Blu-Ray.

My god, what a cool movie.

Everything was about fucking shit up.

That's all I can say. Loved it.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver Confirmed for Marvel's The Avengers 2

The siblings set to join the superhero sequel -- unless script changes.

Yes, as it turns out twins Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will indeed be in Marvel's The Avengers 2.

Avengers 2 director Joss Whedon recently hinted as much, but now Entertainment Weekly has confirmed that the siblings will join the team's ranks for the sequel. Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige would only tell the outlet, “I’m not confirming or denying. The draft could change six months from now.”

Provided they stay in the final draft, here's where things will likely get tricky for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch on their journey to the big screen. The characters were introduced in the X-Men comics as the children of Magneto, but later became members of the Avengers. While Marvel can clearly use them in Avengers 2, they won't be able to use (and probably won't even be able to mention) Magneto, the X-Men or, perhaps most importantly, the fact that they're mutants since Fox owns the screen rights to all things X-Men. So how will Marvel get around this issue to explain the characters' powers? We shall see.

I'm sure they wouldn't even be in the script if they couldn't do something really cool with them/have a way to get round the licensing issue. Again, that stuff is all so damn stupid!