N-Europe

Stella Cider?

ReZourceman

_51078326_sacidrebottle.jpg

Beer giant Stella Artois brews up Belgian apple cider

Page last updated at 11:58 GMT, Thursday, 3 February 2011Cidre is a new cider fermented in Belgium and imported to the UK

The world's biggest brewer is getting into the cider business.

It's further proof that products like Magners and its "cider over ice" have reinvented the drink.

Called Stella Artois Cidre, the cider will be available from Friday 29 April, the same day as Prince William gets married to Kate Middleton.

Cider sales in the UK have risen 46% to 840 million litres over the last five years, according to consumer research experts Mintel.

The organisation also says pear and fruit ciders are attracting a new type of cider drinker, mainly women aged between 18 and 24.

Dirk Seldeslachts, head of Stella Artois Cidre product development said: "Stella Artois Cidre is a premium-crafted Belgian cider and is made from high quality apples which are bursting with flavour."

Stella Artois Cidre will be 4.5% abv.

The company that owns Stella Artois, Anheuser-Busch InBev, is the world's largest brewer and also produces the likes of Beck's, Budweiser and Brahma as well Staropramen, Leffe and Hoegaarden.

The announcement that Stella are entering the cider market comes days after reports beer rivals Heineken, who own Strongbow cider in Britain, are considering taking that drink global.

Any good?

Ine mentioned that Stella were doing one, and that we should try it out. (Cos she's a patriotic Belgium :heh:)

We picked up a bottle in Asda, have to say that it tasted pretty nice. Very appley, with a trace of mango perhaps. Well, my housemate said it had a tinge of mango to it, but we mostly tasted apples.

I really liked it. I reckon you should give it a go. :)

From your surprise it sounds like there didn't appear to be much of a market for it?

It was just so long ago I'd assumed they'd decided against it.

Does anyone know how much it is? They were wanting to market it as more premium than other ciders. They were benchmarking the price against magners RRP (about £3.30 a pint I think), but I wouldn't be surprised if they went a little higher.

Does anyone know how much it is?

Judging from whats been going through the tills a box of it costs £9.00 which gets you about 8-10 cans I think? Not 100% certain on the number of cans but it probably works out at around being £1.00 + per can which doesn't sound too bad.

You can also buy it in a four pack which - naturally - is slightly more expensive, I can find out the exact amount of cans that are in the larger box later for you if you'd like... I'm sure more of it will be going through the till, seems somewhat popular atm.

Nevermind... I gogoled the stuff - Stella Cidre - it's £9.00 for an 8-pack, £3.29 for a 4-pack or £1.39 per 568ml bottle, all of those prices are introductory so expect them to be almost a pound or so more when they go back up to their regular price, hope this helps. : peace:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/ProductBuylist/default.aspx?id=L00002724

Edited by S.C.G

Jim and I bought a bottle of it in ASDA. It wasn't expensive at all, like SCG said it was about £1.39. And I liked it really. Was afraid it would taste bleh compared to other ciders I'm used to, but I actually really liked it. =)

Now it's just a shame they won't release this in Belgium. Doesn't make sense! D:

• 2 weeks later...