Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Aneres11

I didn't say completely obsolescent. I don't know the exact details but some models of iPhone don't work with iOS4 and apps often integrate the functionality of newer models into their app which older hardware can't do.

That's not a criticism of the iThing model. I'm just saying an advantage of the PS3 is that a 5-year-old console bought at launch will be able to play the same games as, for example, any redesign Sony may release of the PS3 in a couple years time. Which is an impressive lifespan for technology.

I mean, that's where this premium price really came from. Sony attempted to future-proof their console and if you compare the functionality of a launch console to the functionality of today's console, it's massively different. It's almost a new machine.

But whatever, this is all based on 'perceived' value so it's going to be totally down to the individual. All I'm saying is I can see the argument for both ways and I find the vitriol directed at these strategies a bit bizarre. Yeah, you can not agree with them but as a consumer you cast your vote by not buying one. Loads of people didn't buy a PS3 until the latest price drop.

/Raaaaaaaaaaamble

Yeah, the iPhones actually end up struggling to keep up in operating systems and software. But yeah, it's all about the markets; people seem happy to pay premium on tablets and smart phones (or is it just apple?) but gaming people seem to get a tad tight, weird considering how much money the software costs!!

I really need to stop going into the Playstation thread rather than this one to talk about the Vita..

Quoting my post in there:

Looks like the price of PS Vita memory cards has popped up in gaming news again now that American retailers are starting to list their price for them rather than just the Japanese.

Every time I see those prices, I just can't help but facepalm. That magic price point worked so well. Even though Nintendo cut the price of the 3DS, it's still an incredible price.. that'll now work out to about £290 minimum in most purchases because of the high percentage of games that'll require the memory card.

Proprietary doesn't have to be so bad. It's annoying that you've gotta buy a new memory card. But in most cases when you buy a new electronic that requires one, even if you already own one chances are it's designated to something else so you buy a new one for your purchase. Then you have the reasons why they can't use memory stick pro duo such as the read/write speeds that wont be up to the standards required for digital games and the anti-piracy methods offered by the new format.

But why are we expected to fork out so much for those memory cards? The lower your margins, you'll entice more people to buy higher capacity cards which will most probably result in a larger revenue. PSP games were roughly 2gb, god knows how much those Vita games are going to weigh in at. And they want to entice people into buying digitally distributed games with savings of only a couple of quid per game which we'll need a £100 32gb card to fully experience the convenience?

Also @dazzybee, I imagine the premiums people are willing to pay are due to the convenient nature of them and for iPad, the Apple name factors heavily into it too.

I am annoyed at the price of the memory.

I am really really really looking forward to this console though. Like. Liek omg/.

I am too but think all in I might struggle to justify buying one straight off. I certainly think it is worth holding out till the likes of Sandisk make memory cards for it they were so much cheaper for PSP.

Yeah the memory card costs are high. I expect them to fall though. PSN games wont be cheap either, especially the retail ones.

Also i would like to single out some shitty developers/publishers such as Namco for Ridge Racer vita. What a mess. Looks like an obvious iPhone future port.

Yeah, the iPhones actually end up struggling to keep up in operating systems and software. But yeah, it's all about the markets; people seem happy to pay premium on tablets and smart phones (or is it just apple?) but gaming people seem to get a tad tight, weird considering how much money the software costs!!

Mostly just Apple ;)

Edited by Choze

It was confirmed this morning that the PlayStation Vita will only support one PlayStation Network account.

The news is sure to disappoint many a gamer, a poor move on Sony’s part. What this means is, if you share the handheld with someone else, you’ll both have to play under the same PSN ID and also, you won’t be able to purchase content from different regions on the same Vita.

The information was given at a public Vita event in Japan and credit to the first English language source, Neogaf, who translated as follows:

“Only 1 account. If you want to to use a different account, you need to format the system to factory settings.â€

Brad Douglas of Sony Japan then confirmed the news via Twitter:

“The only difference is that Vita requires you to do a factory reset when logging into a new account.â€

http://www.psnation.org/2011/12/05/one-account-only-on-ps-vita/

Dumb decision....basically means I will leave it now and won't get one at launch and will leave it until I am in Canada and have a canadian bank account so I can use the store properly...No point in investing in european one and getting games for it via PSN only to effectively lose the use of them when I move countries. Unique situation/problem to me sure but one none the less...

I haven't used my other PSN accounts in literally years so I'm not bothered. Not sure why they're doing this, though. I guess they think they may sell more consoles that way.

What as in you think people may buy 2 consoles?! Well it's done the opposite to me....I'm not buying one at all....for a while.

On another note I think it is so dumb that there is no way to change your region....I mean I don't expect it to be a thing you can just do all the time but why can't you change address and register a card to validate moving region?

no multiple accounts? what the mother fook! seriously why? for the NTSC market it makes some sense, but here in the pal region where they release sweet FA on the PSN compared to NTSC it pays to have two accounts. its been the only way to get some psone games on the psp, they've had resident evil for what 3 years and we have only just got RES1 let alone the others (its been awhile since i've looked if i'm now wrong on that)

the more i hear the more i'll be leaving it untill christmas 2012 for one, the whole complaints i've heard about the holding position to avoid the touch pad put me right off, as did the price and memories of getting burned on my 3DS

The difference between the UK PSN and the American PSN really isn't that big, though. On occasion there are lapses but more recently there has been pretty much parity between both stores.

Dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I think there were a couple titles recently that were delayed in Europe but they are the exception, not the rule.

And I we can only expect it to get better when the Vita places so much importance on downloadable games.

Still not sure why they did it, though.

It's easy to say there's not a big difference between the European PSN and the American PSN and that it really doesn't matter that you'll only have access to one of them, until that one game you've been looking forward to doesn't get released over here.

We dont know how it will all work. It could be that each person could keep their own memory card.

Oooooh knew you would defend it....they've pretty much come out and said that its one account yet somehow you act like it might not be the case. Sure memory card be a work around for having more than 1 save but really who the hell is gonna buy 2.

If it's anything like the PSP and the PS3, you'll be able to create up to a hundred save files (I think that's the limit?) for all games.

I've had no problems sharing my PSP with my brother, despite never bothering to create different accounts or anything like that.

Of course, I'm still in the "this sucks, stop being so backwards" camp. :p

Edit: I have no idea how this would affect multiplayer, though.

Edited by Magnus

We'll see. Technically PSP are not designed for multiple users either. After the whole hacking mess they were never going to give the freedom we got with the PS3 again.

I would imagine its a hassle but people will find ways to make it abit easier. My guess is seperate memory cards.

It's easy to say there's not a big difference between the European PSN and the American PSN and that it really doesn't matter that you'll only have access to one of them, until that one game you've been looking forward to doesn't get released over here.

I don't remember the last time I said that. That's why it's easy for me to say there's no difference.