Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

^ Definately watch the Senna movie, it's fantastic!

Only just caught up on the race today on iPlayer, as I was at Silverstone Classics this weekend... but it was a great one!!

Brilliant stuff from Hamilton, Alonso [and Webber]!

Hamilton making that move stick around the outside of Alonso was great stuff!

Both he and Alonso were in a different class today... not quite sure what happened to Webbers pace in the end, in spite of changing his tyres early not working out, the pace just didn't seem the same in the final stints.

Yeah this is hopefully a great sign for the second half of the season! But the gap to Vettel is just so huge atm! With the mistakes he was making in this race, I was hoping he might come together with someone (as he so often does trying to make his way through the pack), and bring himself a little closer to the others in terms of points. We still need 2 DNF's from him I feel.

I couldn't believe Ferrari gave that place away to him in the end!... I was just sat there thinking... ok that was incredibly lame!

Only 1 weeks to Hungary!!

Which is a lovely track... even if there's only a single line around it! But hopefully more action on the long main straight this year.

I absolutely LOVE the second half of the season (Silverstone onwards)... so many great tracks!

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's gone from 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

to... 25, 18, 15 etc...

A few reasons are that it now gives points to the Top 10, instead of the Top 8... which gives the midfield a chance of fighting for a few points, rather than the Top teams grabbing them all. More incentive.

Also there's more of a gap between first/second now, so there's meant to be more incentive to fight for the victory, instead of settling for second.

However, it hasn't really had any noticable effect, but it kinda works.

This points system has been used in the World Rally Championship, and F1 just decided it was a good system to use.

it was to allow more points to be distributed overall and to make winning a race worth more than just two points more than second place, which should mean that the person who wins the most races wins the championship

Basically the point system was something along the lines 10,6,4,3,2,1 up until 2003, when it was changed to 10,8 etc. This was because in 2002 Schumacher won the championship by July and to stop a similar thing happening again, they changed the system to give the winner less of an advantage. Ironically, schumacher did the same thing again to everyone in 2004 :heh:

But yeah, the reason they changed the points again was to reward winning more and give midfield teams more of a chance to score (and the 3 new teams). It's a bit pointless imo, kinda ruins the history of the sport massively but oh well. 12, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 would make more sense if they wanted to give the winner more points.

As for this race, it was fucking awesome, I loved it. The best of the season imo, mainly because it was about one thing: the racing. There was no politics involved, no rain, no severely degrading tyres and no overpowered DRS use. Watching Alonso, Lewis and Webber battle like that was simply something else and it's something I'll remember for a long time. Yes, Vettel has been gifted this title due to a dominant car early in the season but now that Lewis and Alonso seem to have better cars we can really see them fight for wins. Hungary next will no doubt be boring BUT I actually quite enjoy the track as it's pretty fun to drive on and tests the cars well unlike other crap tracks...

Interestingly, I've got a feeling a DNF or just a low point scoring finish at Hungary for Vettel could really spice up the championship, as the next tracks (Spa and Monza) are gonna be the RB's worst races of the year. Alonso and Lewis have always been quick at Singapore too and Suzuka is really the only track left when downforce is really important.

Went to Silverstone Classics last weekend, and they had loads of Classic Grand Prix cars racing. Just some pics of some of them for anyone who likes the...

dav3339a.jpg

dav1882a.jpg

dav1899b.jpg

dav1901a.jpg

dav1908a.jpg

dav1910c.jpg

dav1911a.jpg

dav1912a.jpg

dav1923.jpg

dav3359.jpg

dav3422a.jpg

Includes Nigel Mansells '83 Lotus, James Hunts '76 McLaren, Graham Hills '73 Shadow Embassy... there's probably many more big names but I've gotta look them up.

Edited by Retro_Link

YOU'RE GOING TO MONZA?!?!?!
Yeeeeeeh man! :yay:

I'm sure I said at the beginning of the year I was thinking of maybe Spa, you were thinking about it too... then I said if I was gonna go to one I was gonna look at Monza... hmm... maybe I didn't post I'd decided. :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Sweet, you know where you're gonna sit? Take an Alonso flag :heh:

Also, fml. F1 is going to Sky Sports next year and BBC will only be getting half the races.

:(

Such a stupid stupid move.

is that cause BBC can't afford it? does that mean they'll lose Wimbledon coverage too like was rumoured?

Horse shit :(

This new deal is sort of depressing but I figured it was going to be something like this. Quote from the Guardian:

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for Formula One fans

No. No it bloody isn't.

Edited by gaggle64

It doesn't seem like anyone is happy about it in the world of F1.

Martin Brundle: BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options Not impressed.

Eddie Jordan: This is terrible news. Im actually in a daze. All of the team are as shocked as the wonderful F1 fans.

Seems like no-one actually knew anything about it.

Despite the fact I have Sky, I'd much prefer it to be all on the BBC :(

Yeah this news is absolute bollocks!

And what annoys me even more is the fact the BBC are continuing to show half the races!

If they're going to/need to drop it, then DROP IT! Don't do some half assed attempt at it.

It just seems like throwing money away that they supposedly need so much!

- Overall F1 viewing figures will drop.

- I'd imagine the BBC's race figures will drop, as some people won't bother if they can't watch a whole season.

- Sky's figures will be low in comparison anyway.

- When both the BBC and Sky are showing the same race... who the fuck is gonna watch the Sky programme with advert brakes?... NO ONE! Meaning surely Sky will have very low viewing figures for those races, making it not worthwhile for them...

The whole things a joke!

Regarding presenters... are the BBC even gonna bother with build up show/a presenting team?... I can't really see the point. Just the race with 5Live commentators would probably be best.

Sky really should be doing its best to nab the BBC team/commentators because they're the best out there.

But again, what does that leave the BBC with... another reason why they shouldn't even bother!

Urgh... Hates!

EDIT: There are so many sports on the BBC that they don't need... Womens Golf is on right now for example! :p and the Horse Racing... just give that to Channel 4!

Wimbledon would have made more sense to share with Sky, because honestly who's interested in about 80% of the matches anyway! It's only the Top names that people tune in to watch!

Edited by Retro_Link

Pubs will be playing it more often. It's a commercial-led world so it's not really surprising that Sky's waved dosh around. They can easily outbid BBC with sports. F1 is more interested in the money than in getting as many people as possible to watch the sport. What's better, immediate money that they can spend or potential exposure which rewards the sport in subsequent years? Who's not to say that the immediate money won't achieve the same sort of potential success from higher exposure?

It's just 'sensible' to take the money. People who want to watch the race can do so by finding a pub with Sky. No doubts that'll happen more. Of course, youngsters will be less exposed, so demand for F1 may diminish over the years, but then the price F1 will be able to get for television rights will go down, so BBC get them back at a more affordable price...

... Yeah.

Yeah I just dunno what to do.

I don't have Sky, I don't want to pay for it, and I have no interest in watching half an F1 season!

I might have to at least look into Sky, I love F1 too much... but it wil also depend who they have doing it... I wouldn't want Sky Sports presenters/commentary [on top of adverts!!].

---

EDIT: from Twitter

Jamesallenonf1 James Allen

#f1 From their comments on Sky News website looks like John Watson and Tony Jardine positioning themselves for a role with Sky F1 next year

No thanks. Edited by Retro_Link

Fuming Sky has bought F1. I only have freeview, but that's not the main problem. I just hate how Sky go around buying everything up, programmes they couldn't give a toss about years ago and now they want them to make an extra quid. Wankers, the lot of them.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93461

Sky Sports says it won't show adverts during grands prix next year

Sky Sports has confirmed that it will not run adverts during its broadcast coverage of Formula 1 races next year, and will instead limit them to the pre and post-race show.

Well that's something at least.

The broadcaster has no plans to introduce a 'pay-per-view' scheme for races, meaning that fans will have to purchase a Sky Sports package and pay from £31.95 per month for it.
Fuck!... Considering it's all I'd be getting Sky for... thats £383.40 a year to watch F1!!! Edited by Retro_Link

The BBC couldn't drop F1 completely, I'm pretty sure that the British GP at least is on that protected list of things that need to be on free-to-view channels.

But its such a stupid deal, I for one can't afford to dish out for Sky Sports and so my interest in the sport will decline simply because I can't watch half of it!

Really, it's the best deal the BBC could have gotten. It keeps the sport on the channel for another 7 years at a cut price, at a time when the corporation is having to make cuts. Plus we still get the extended highlights shows and Radio 5 Live commentary on the race they don't broadcast. There's no way in hell I'd pay that sort of money for Sky even if I had it. Just a sign of the times really.

The Highlights shows don't have the same feel though. I like to see the entire race evolving... yes they might be the best bits of the race, but I still feel like I'm missing out.

I couldn't just sit there and listen to an F1 race on the Radio without being able to see it aswell, that's crap!

BBC should have dropped some other crap!

Why didn't they drop the Moto GP (amongst other things), who cares about that!

I'm sure I heard somewhere the other day that all the Top BBC TV/Radio presenters earned a combined salary of over £70million (maybe even more) a year... F1 costs £40million a year to run... the bastards should have their wages cut! :p

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!