Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows, maybe with this season's tires we may get lucky and get a decent spectacle, so fingers crossed.

I'm hoping so too, all the other races have been decent with plenty of overtaking. I reckon we could all be surprised by Valencia this time round!

Can't wait for Spa though, I think with the new rules that track will be incredible!

Just my thoughts on the race...

Firstly, they are becoming too cautious with regards to the safety car. Remember races like Spain 96 and Spa 98 where it was truly soaking and the best rain drivers could make their skill apparent? I was so annoyed they started behind the bloody safety car, I mean come ON the start is the best part of the race! They did the same thing in Korea last year too :( And we had SO many laps behind the safety car, eugh.

Secondly, Schumacher was FUCKING BRILLIANT! His pace on a damp track was mindblowing, he was the fastest man on the track for several laps in a row, just fantastic. Anyone who doubts the old man needs their head examined, his defending on Webber and Lewis was great and some of his overtaking was vintage old MS :) That said, this brings me to my second point......

DRS. The zone was too big. Webber and Button got past Michael BEFORE the braking zone, and that is NOT overtaking, that is just cruising past someone. What was worse is that when Button got through he could use his DRS again to get further ahead! Eugh, they need to look at severely reducing the DRS activation length, it's not cool at all.

On Lewis, well his incident with Jenson was a 50/50. He'll come back strong though, he's undoubtably the fastest man on the track.

As for jenson's win, just fantastic to see. I've said it before and i'll say it again; on a track where you can overtake, I don't see Vettel being able to match Lewis/Button/Fernando. I'm sure I speak for most of us but Vettel wouldn't have won in Spain had the track been the hardest on the calander to overtake on. That said, his last 12 race results consist of 8 wins, 3 2nd places and 1 DNF. That car is a bullet.

So many memories!! :D

If that video doesn't sell F1 to you, I dunno what will!

2010 has to be one of standout years for momentous crashes! Webbers takeoff! Buemi loosing his front wheels, Heikki in Monaco, Vettel at Spa, Webber in Korea, Schumi in Abu Dhabi... and Lewis had that title turning run in Monza, Singapore, Sazuka!

The BBC do a truely amazing job, it has to be said, fantastic coverage and off-track moments like the Lewis/Jenson pub quiz, Lewis and Jake driving the F1 game, the drive to Spa, the scooters round the streets of Monza, and the Silverstone stuff... just great!!

Though Vettels dominance aside, 2011 is already more than a match! Loving every race! [stupid Valencia]

Edited by Retro_Link

So many memories!! :D

If that video doesn't sell F1 to you, I dunno what will!

2010 has to be one of standout years for momentous crashes! Webbers takeoff! Buemi loosing his front wheels, Heikki in Monaco, Vettel at Spa, Webber in Korea, Schumi in Abu Dhabi... and Lewis had that title turning run in Monza, Singapore, Sazuka!

The BBC do a truely amazing job, it has to be said, fantastic coverage and off-track moments like the Lewis/Jenson pub quiz, Lewis and Jake driving the F1 game, the drive to Spa, the scooters round the streets of Monza, and the Silverstone stuff... just great!!

Though Vettels dominance aside, 2011 is already more than a match! Loving every race! [stupid Valencia]

This season has already been fantastic, i just hope the DRS doesn't make it too easy to pass (Webber on Schumacher in Canada, ALL OF TURKEY). Really hope Vettel has a couple of DNFs/low point scoring races otherwises it's over.

Shame we have valencia next and Abu Dhabi left this year.

I don't understand all the hate for Valencia, sure it's yet to throw up a decent race but this year it WILL be different. I absolutely adore the track on F1 2010, it's very fast and very challenging and mastering it requires a lot of patience and skill. Sure it's no Monaco but it's still a good circuit (with decent overtaking spots), so I hope this year we get a good race.

I don't understand all the hate for Valencia, sure it's yet to throw up a decent race but this year it WILL be different. I absolutely adore the track on F1 2010, it's very fast and very challenging and mastering it requires a lot of patience and skill. Sure it's no Monaco but it really is a great circuit (and there are good overtaking spots), so I hope this year we get a good race.
Yeah but that's because it's good from a drivers perspective!... the drivers have always said they enjoy doing laps round the circuit and that it's challenging... but that come the race it's a procession with little opportunity to pass.

As a viewer I just find it a really boring circuit because it had no definition, no landmarks... no nothing. I've gradually come to recognise parts of it as the years have gone on, but it's just plain dull!

Edited by Retro_Link

Just seen Senna again. Whole cinema was packed (was in Cineworlds biggest screen as well, was well surprised) and it was the only time i've ever seen a film and EVERYONE stayed during the credits.

Atmosphere after Ayrton's crash was horrific, you could have heard a pin drop.

Senna isn't out here for another two months and I was just thinking "damn, I hope these guys don't spoiler it for me" I'm such an idiot sometimes.

On a few of the points before...

Rain races are one of the things that's really annoyed me in recent years, all this safety car nonsense and stopped races is ridiculous. These guys are meant to be the absolute best in the world, the chance they get to prove this beyond any doubt and they are not able to. Obviously there is a point where it truly is undriveable but they seem to be far too keen to conclude this in recent years.

Valencia, I actually think it will be a decent race. If this years rules can make Monaco exciting then I'm sure they can do the same here.

Going to see Senna on Tuesday evening, only 1 showing at Vue in York, had my tickets booked for 3 weeks. I cannot wait.
Glad I read this, made me check availability at my cinema, and yeah it's only showing Tuesday next week, with one time already sold out. Just booked my tickets! :D

Going to see Senna on Tuesday evening, only 1 showing at Vue in York, had my tickets booked for 3 weeks. I cannot wait.

You are in for a treat. The music in it is simply incredible, just hearing the opening of the film made me cry yesterday. Such a beautiful human being and sportsman. Comparing him to some of our 'treasured' sports stars like Beckham is a joke, he is truly a role model and I'd feel honoured if I could show traits he did.

Gotta agree with Will about wet races, drivers were pitting for INTERS when the safety car came in the other day, was so ridiculous. Bring back races like Spa 98!

Yeah I can't wait to see it, the first race I ever watched was Spain 1994 with my dad just 2 races after he died. Didn't miss one for 10 years after that, and I only truly discovered about Senna in 2003/4 when I started watching old videos and stuff.

I absoluelty love the guy and I wish I'd watched a few of his races live, I knew my dad was a big fan (after Mansell of course :D ). I do think history has remembered him kindly, as he certainly was completely ruthless and I'm not looking forward to the fact that the movie doesn't look too favourably on Prost, another driver I admire. Senna was and always will be on another level though, a truly immense talent who I think will never be bettered. Despite his ruthless side in the cockpit, his compassion outside of it and push for driver safety and welfare is something which, again, no other driver has ever come close to topping. A true legend in every sense of the word.

On another note, I just submitted my entry to Hispania's VIP tickets for Valencia competition. You have to prove you're the biggest fan, and I took the piss a bit... a lot, so I doubt I'll win.

It only seems to have been the last couple of years that F1 has had a problem with wet races... remember Brazil '03 was it, with the multi car offs/car parks in the same corners... and exactly the same thing again Nurgurgring '07 when they were all sliding off at the first corner...

And the race wasn't stopped back then for either of those!

Malaysia '08 was understandable.

But Canada was a joke! as have some other races lately, whiney drivers!

Fuji '07 just kept going and it was much worse than the race last weekend! so what's the difference now?!

I remember that race where it was raining and at one point 5 cars or so slid out on the same corner into the barrier, Jenson managed to keep going despite being one of those drivers...Which was it again? I remember it was the first corner because there was a decline in the terrain going through it.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Rumours are going about that Nick Heidfeld is going to be replaced by Bruno Senna for the rest of the season. I've always been a Nick fan but I guess they are disappointed that he hasn't really outdone Petrov (unlucky in the last race it's got to be said) and they wanna give Bruno a shot.

How weird would that be? Ayrton's career kicked off in the black and yellow Lotus, Bruno's could give off in the black and yellow Lotus Renault.

And Emerald, you're thinking of Europe 2007 :) Alonso won it in the end, overtaking Massa with a few laps to go and rain pouring.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!