N-Europe

The Death Of DVD & Blu-ray

Murr

It's time to start selling off your Blu-ray and DVD collection, because Hollywood is getting serious about digital content. Today six studios have announced their support for the UltraViolet digital content system which gives users the ability to "watch digital entertainment across multiple platforms such as connected TVs, PCs, game consoles and smartphones."

Lionsgate, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. are the studios behind the format, which was created by the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE).

"Complementing the physical DVD and Blu-ray home entertainment markets, studios will begin offering UltraViolet content this year through digital online retailers and digital rights that come with packaged media," says a press release. But really, how long until the DVD and Blu-ray part of that equation goes away? Ten years? Five? At the rate we're going, don't bet against it.

ultra_1294337160.jpg

More from the press release:

"The UltraViolet experience is powered by a cloud-based UltraViolet Account, which includes a Digital Rights Locker and account management functionality. Consumers can create an UltraViolet account, free of charge, via one of the many participating UltraViolet service providers or through the UltraViolet website. Once created, this account will allow consumers to easily access and manage all of their UltraViolet entertainment, regardless of where it was purchased."

Users can register up to 12 devices with UltraViolet and content can be downloaded or shared between them. Streaming to set-top boxes and Internet-enabled devices (computers, Blu-ray players, tablets, etc.) will also be available.

Titles will be announced by the individual studios as they become available.

But hey, note the lack of the words "Disney" and "Apple" above…

Source - IGN.com

Eh, I'm unconvinced. For one, UltraViolet is a terrible name. For another, Digital Content is something anyone can take a slice of, no one company is going to grasp a monopoly on providing digital content so easily.

I do think digital content is in our future, for sure, but I doubt this is it.

I don't think it will ever completely replace physical media in our lifetime. How many of you can honestly say your parents would be fine dealing with digital distribution (without calling you up for help)? It will grow, sure. But replace? I remain unconvinced.

This could work as a potential update to Bluray anyway, allowing you to access your library from anywhere. Best of both worlds. Hopefully, we'll see an update to Bluray to compete with this UV service.

I fail to see streaming movies really take over from physical media, major markets like America and Europe simply don't have the infrastructure to deliver image anywhere near Bluray quality. Blow Apple TV, iPlayer, LoveFilm up to a 40" screen - and even below - you'll clearly see evidence of compression, couple that with the lack of 5.1 sound and streaming is a Steve Jobs' pipe dream.

*reads thread title*

'The Death of DVD & Blu-ray'

*reads first line of press release*

"Complementing the physical DVD and Blu-ray home entertainment markets..."

Somehow I doubt this'll be the end for disc-based media... :indeed:

Thing about digital distribution is that you can only buy the write to watch/listen/play something on that service alone. Instantly you become tethered to that service and have to cope with throwing away all of your hard spent cash if you want to go elsewhere.

That's where physical product wins. If I want to watch a movie on a different DVD player doesn't mean I have to go buy the movie again.

Its not waste if you keep it.

Clutter, but not waste!

Of course it's waste.

About 50 million copies of Finding Nemo have been sold. That's 50 million plastic cases with 50-100 million metal discs (special editions!) and 50 million cover slips and 50 million little useless leaflets that nobody reads.

But 50 million happy happy people.

Besides, who cares about the waste as long as the dvd is mine.

Mine mine mine mine mine mine.

Mine.

Many of which would be just as happy with a digital copy. And a fuck load less waste.

A lot of people care.

Adding to the waste problem?

Honestly? I don't give a damn.

Many of which would be just as happy with a digital copy. And a fuck load less waste.

I don't understand how digital copies can seriously be considered an alternative to boxed products. Most people struggle setting up a film on a DVD/Blu-ray player; short of just watching it on the computer/laptop, it would be a nightmare for some people to set it up on the TV.

And as has already been said by david.dakota, the quality of the product pales in comparison to Blu-ray/DVD anyway.

Cutting down trees and using up oil for plastic then.

Because computers are made from dreams and happiness...?

How does the quality pale is comparison?

I fail to see streaming movies really take over from physical media, major markets like America and Europe simply don't have the infrastructure to deliver image anywhere near Bluray quality. Blow Apple TV, iPlayer, LoveFilm up to a 40" screen - and even below - you'll clearly see evidence of compression, couple that with the lack of 5.1 sound and streaming is a Steve Jobs' pipe dream.

Because computers are made from dreams and happiness...?

A computer is necessary for many things, package for a CD and the CD itself are not.

He is talking about streaming movies, which depends on the speed of the connection. But if you download them you can even watch blue-ray quality films. They are a few GB, but it doesn't take that long to download.