N-Europe

2010 in Music

Ashley

(in my defence I've been meaning to make this thread for days)

2010 has been a better year than 2009 for music for me personally. I finally got to see Nate Ruess live in some capacity, after waiting five years, three times and met some awesome people at the gigs.

Albums wise:

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life (not as good as their others but still fun and features a Veronica Mars reference)

Spoon - Transference

Hot Chip - One Life Stand

Broken Bells - Broken Bells

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening

Kanye West - MBDTF

Steel Train - Steel Train

I'm sure there's more too...but whatever.

And Andrew Dost has become my new favourite (used in a Pajairian sense not really attached to any specific noun).

Andago!

I got to see Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem at the same concert, both touring off a new album. Awesome. Other favourites of the year include:

Glasser

Big Boi

Best Coast

Beach House

Caribou

Four Tet

Vampire Weekend

Sleigh Bells

Jamie Lidell

Autechre

(Arcade Fire)

Pretty good year, though there's no absolute stand out favourite album for me like there was last year (Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport). Favourite song is probably Apply by Glasser or One Life Stand by Hot Chip.

Edited by ipaul

The new Kylesa and Arcade Fire records are pretty boss, but the two that have been battling it out for favourite album of this year as well as most playtime have got to be:

Ariel Pink's Haunted Grafitti - Before Today

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me.

Of note was also Ihsahn's new album, After, which saw the ex-Emperor frontman experiment with Saxophone solo's in fuckin black metal. Unreal, and very much encroaching on the boundaries of what Opeth are well known for. I expect next year will be a better year for metal; expecting releases from Mastodon, Nile and Opeth.

Both absolutely phenomenal records. Its been a bit dry in terms of gigs, although I did see Baroness in January which was absolutely phenomenal. Drunkenly got up on the stage (which was barely elevated anyway) and started giving out hi fives to the whole band, who just didn't seem to be bothered in the least =p.

Download fest was also cool, connected very much with the teenage metalhead in me =D.

Not much else comes to mind, just perusing the oldies that I've never gotten into before, mostly.

bow down, bitches

(I've been mostly listening to old EP's this year. I got into Edith Piaf, Yves Montand, Jacques Briel and then after all the praise in this forum I decided to listen to Joanna Newsom and Fiona Apple. I'm now in love with Fiona :p Nothing new though. Next year will hopefully be great with Adele's, Amy Winehouse's, Fiona Apple's and Lady Gaga's new album :D)

Edited by Frank

Lady Gaga has epitomised the worst aspects of 2010 personally. I just cannot stand her or her attempts at music :p

And that picture below sums it up perfectly. Its all about attention for her (IMO).

Edited by Ashley

I've discovered hardly any new bands this year. Although i did develop a sudden appreciation for The Hoosiers after seeing them live. Didn't think much of them before.

Anyway, not listening to new music... is badness. Going to listen to more new music in 2011.

Didn't quite buy as many CDs as I did last year but I definitely discovered numerous new bands, some of which I just took a punt on but ended up really enjoying their stuff. Of the albums released this year that I purchased and have had a chance to listen to, this is how I'd describe them:

Fantastic:

Halestorm by Halestorm

Cosmology by Rolo Tomassi

High Violet by The National

Believe (II) by Orianthi

Good:

April Rain by Delain

Love Is Gone by Dommin

Invented by Jimmy Eat World

Immersion by Pendulum

Catching A Tiger by Lissie

Danger Days- The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys

Disappointing:

A Star-Crossed Wasteland by In This Moment (it had some good stuff but was lakcing in comparison to The Dream or Beautiful Tragedy)

Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practise, Chapters 1-13 by HIM

Stone Temple Pilots by Stone Temple Pilots (actually, disappointing is being generous. This was extremely disappointing. At least I can still take pleasure in their earlier stuff)

That's only some of what I bought that came out this year as I've still got some stuff that I haven't even listened to yet. But yes, 2010 has been a good year for music for me as I've listened to all of the aforementioned stuff but also been introduced to the likes of Metric, My Morning Jacket, We Are The In Crowd and Emilie Autumn (who I haven't been able to stop listening to all year) to name a few of the bands which have definitely proved a hit with me this year.

Edited by Ganepark32

New album wise, for me these are my favourite new albums of the year:

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

2. The Scott Pilgrim OST (A compilation of goodies, but every one of them new to me.)

3. Plan B - The Defamation of Strickland Banks

The biggest disappointment of the year was Oracular Spectacular by MGMT, following their first album which was spot on, this felt lacklustre in comparison.

However, defining my 2010 of music is different for me. The albums above are my favourite of this year, but my year has been taken up mostly by listening to other bands. According to Last.FM (which I believe to be somewhat inaccurate) my top 3 artists of the last 12 months have been Arcade Fire, Elbow and Groove Armada. I would actually define my 2010 in music with the following top 5 for the year:

1. Arcade Fire

2. Elbow

3. The Beatles

4. Florence and the Machine

5. Plan B

(and the Scott Pilgrim OST, but that's VA so w/e.)

:bouncy:

I bought Avenged Sevenfold's new album... Nightmare. its still playing in my car :)

That's the only music i've really paid much attention to this year.

I came in here to post:

"A7X - Nightmare

Close this topic, its over."

Great album.

I was just about to mention why you didn't say Rihanna given your picture/avatar.

I'm also SHOCKED that you haven't even mentioned Willow Smith :shocked:

Have you...stopped whippin yo hur?!

OF KOHSE NO^

It was a debate between posting my "off the cuff" bests of the "top ten tracks of 2010", of which Willow is one.

I opted for the definitive stunners.

Top 5 albums for me were;

1. Brothers - The Black Keys

2. How I Got Over - The Roots

3. This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem

4. Only Revolutions - Biffy Clyro

5. Le Noise - Neil Young

Plenty of other quality ones this year though, along with two in particular that I'm yet to get (Spoon and Arcade Fire - thought I was getting them for Christmas but it seems no).

Oddly I've not been to a single gig this year. Picked up tickets to see BRMC and LCD/Hot Chip but missed both due to flu :(

Oddly I've not been to a single gig this year. Picked up tickets to see BRMC and LCD/Hot Chip but missed both due to flu :(

Hmm who did I go see in 2010:

30 Seconds to Mars

Elton John

Hit the Lights

My Passion

Avenged Sevenfold & Stone Sour

Anberlin

Bullet for My Valentine

Think thats it, chances are I'm forgetting someone early in the year.

I always forget what albums came out this year when it comes to compiling these lists.

The Script - Science & Faith

Linkin Park - A Thousand Sons

Goo Goo Dolls - Something For The Rest of Us

Michael Buble - Crazy Love

Jimmy Eat World - Invented

Gigs i've been to this year.

OneRepublic

Blink 182

30 Seconds to Mars

She and Miley's new albums are probably two of my most played this year. Love em. Not particularly great though, as you might expect. (Though Taylor's one is a million times better than her last album)

Actually, let me go check.

EDIT:

Haha! Yeah, my top 5 most played albums on the last 12 months:

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can

Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed

Taylor Swift - Speak Now

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

:yay:

Liz wins for being a 20 year old album.

Edited by Paj!

Ooh my favourite albums from 2010. :grin:

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me.

61kEsRajDaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed.

1.jpg

Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can.

8.jpg

Vampire Weekend - Contra.

3.jpg

Wavves - King Of The Beach.

afas.jpg?t=1286635058

Kanye West - My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy.

Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.jpg

Kate Nash -My Best Friend Is You.

5.jpg

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach.

4.jpg

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles.

9-1.jpg

Bitch Brigade - Dendrite.

6.jpg

Bring Me The Horizon - There Is A Hell Believe Me I've Seen It, There Is A Heaven Lets Keep It A Secret.

Bring-Me-The-Horizon-There-Is-A-Hell-Believe-Me-Ive-Seen-It-There-Is-A-Heaven-Lets-Keep-It-A-Secret-2010-300x300.jpg

Kanye wins best album art of the year!! Great album,

I do love Vampire Weekends album as well, so good to listen too. Always gets me in a good mood whether it is meant to or not.

Annnd thats about it, I'm old and don't listen to much music now.