N-Europe

Christmas: The season to see more stuff YOU want (thrip)

Shorty

Genuine surprise at the number of people buying themselves DVDs/CDs/games/gadgets in mid-December.

I remember when I was younger my mum used to have a go at me for buying myself things in December. Of course this weekend she decides to buy herself the Take That album, despite the fact she'd mentioned to me she wanted it so I'd already bought it for her.

I'm not surprised that people are getting things that they might recieve as presents, I am surprised they can afford to spend money on themselves!

Lol, thinking I meant "someone else might buy you that" makes it even worse.

I can see what you mean, I spent £150 today, either on presents or my £80 electric bill.

For shame. :(

But to be fair I spent a whopping £30 each on my family (sister, mum, dad) and my parents combine usually spend far, far more than that. So I can never complain.

Genuine surprise at the number of people buying themselves DVDs/CDs/games/gadgets in mid-December.

It's quite logical in my case, really. Most of the stuff I am interested in getting I can get online cheaper than in stores, and since my parents don't shop online, it's silly for them to get those things for me. Besides, I have two well-paying jobs, so money isn't an issue for me.

It's quite logical in my case, really. Most of the stuff I am interested in getting I can get online cheaper than in stores, and since my parents don't shop online, it's silly for them to get those things for me. Besides, I have two well-paying jobs, so money isn't an issue for me.

If I see something I want online cheap (such as the recent new vegas bargain) I tell my mum where to get it.

I suppose that's a step up from Ashley's "this is what you got me for christmas".

I'd do that, but no one in my family can order online (from the UK) since they lack the credit card. Boooh.

So I end up asking for cheap shit they can just get in the local stores. =P

And I still need to do all my Christmas shopping, oops.

If I see something I want online cheap (such as the recent new vegas bargain) I tell my mum where to get it.

I suppose that's a step up from Ashley's "this is what you got me for christmas".

You're missing my point. My parents don't know how to/don't feel like shopping online. Despite not being strangers to modern techonology, they're not exactly up to speed with a lot of it and probably never will be. Thus it's easier for me to get those things myself and make a wish list of things they can get me through their preferred channels at the same prices I could get them myself. It's the smartest tactic any way you look at it.

How do they survive without a credit card?

You don't really need a credit card to survive? They all just have a normal bank card/debit card. The only reason I own a credit card is because sites outside of Belgium require it to buy stuff with. Otherwise I wouldn't have a credit card either.

You don't really need a credit card to survive? They all just have a normal bank card/debit card. The only reason I own a credit card is because sites outside of Belgium require it to buy stuff with. Otherwise I wouldn't have a credit card either.

I thought you meant they didn't have a card.

Have any of them asked their bank if they do a Visa Debit Card?

I wouldn't know the difference?

Also don't think my mom or sisters have any need for a credit card. They don't order from sites abroad really (probably wouldn't know where to look).

The problem with christmas buying is that I constantly stumble across things that I want. Every search for a gift for a friend or family member, especially online irrevocably leads to me seeing something I want. Shorty's main argument is that someone might get this for you, so why get it? My argument is that the shit I want - games and dvds primarily - my social circle is unaware of my catalogue.

I'm sorted for 7/10 people, yet I've bought myself three things. I would love for others to buy them for me but either for the point I made previously or because I've discovered it on some distant or discreet website, i know i won't get it. Christmas is an inevitable time for self-buying. Ultimately we always feel we are the easiest person to buy for, but for whatever reason it simply is not true.

This is why I always make a christmas list for my mother, so she can pass it to those who are buying me presents and I just avoid buying those things.

Yes at 20 a christmas list is childish, but when I put 6 books on it, it really does stop me from buying them until after christmas.

Besides why on earth is anyone buying not in the sales? You'll buy something now and see it 50% cheaper next month.

I remember when I was a kid and used to make my Christmas list, my parents still make fun of it to this day. I was just trying to be helpful by adding the Argos catalogue page and item numbers for each present! :p

I still do that, haha! This is a piece of paper that gets sent around my three sets of family, which is beyond amusing. But it works for them so I keep doing it.

Why does it matter?

As long as you're still buying gifts for your friends and family, I see no problem in buying stuff for yourself with any spare monies you might have.