tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Recommended Posts

A chunk of one of my wisdom teeth just decided to go solo and break off. Doesn’t hurt thank god but looks like the tooth is dead inside so that’s going to need to be removed. Unfortunately my health insurance doesn’t cover dental so looking like a $2k bill to have that sorted out.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The overflow/pressure relief pipe for the property I'm renting is running water and we can't seem to figure out why. None of the bathroom fixtures or kitchen sink are overflowing and turning off rhe water to the property doesn't stop the stream lf water flowing out of it. The only possible issue could be the boiler which is old but still works reliably.

Unfortunately I can't say for certain the issue is from our property as someone bought the flat below us over the summer and has spent over 2 months doing work in there, including working under our floor on pipes. I overheard that he had a balance issue in his boiler and that it needed fixed so it could be that or could be the new owner downstairs has redirects pipes in amongst all the work thats been carried out but can't say for certain beyond them turning off the water for the entire building yesterday and that being the only point at which the water stopped streaming out of the overflow/pressure relief pipe. This new owner has also attached some uPVC piping to what should be our overflow pipe for some reason so we know from that that they're at least fine with messing with other people's pipes and saying loudly outside that we can fix the problem if we want.

Got in contact with the letting agency but they're not exactly quick at getting back. We went 4 weeks without a shower because they couldn't be bothered sending out an electrician to replace the one we had with a broken thermostat. Thank god my partner's sister lives in the same street.

So yeah, no idea where the water is coming from but suspect there's either an issue with the old electric water heater or that the new owner downstairs has messed with pipework but either way, its going to be a long drawn out process to get things sorted, especially as like I say they think we need to sort things (even though turning our water off did nothing to the stream of water coming out). ::shrug:

Just what you need during a pandemic, potentially big plumbing and electrical work and new neighbours who think they own the bloody building because they bought a £30,000 studio flat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the neighbours messing with the pipes will cause them to investigate the issue much faster, as it means they have the possibility of claiming the damages from them. 

You could potentially contact your local council and explain the work that they have had done (especially messing with your pipes without permission) to see if they could provide any advice. Doesn't need to be an official complaint just yet, just for advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just be hassling the letting agency the whole time. That's the benefit of renting isn't it? That when stuff goes wrong it's not on you to provide fixes or do any work. Or worry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

The overflow/pressure relief pipe for the property I'm renting is running water and we can't seem to figure out why. None of the bathroom fixtures or kitchen sink are overflowing and turning off rhe water to the property doesn't stop the stream lf water flowing out of it. The only possible issue could be the boiler which is old but still works reliably.

Unfortunately I can't say for certain the issue is from our property as someone bought the flat below us over the summer and has spent over 2 months doing work in there, including working under our floor on pipes. I overheard that he had a balance issue in his boiler and that it needed fixed so it could be that or could be the new owner downstairs has redirects pipes in amongst all the work thats been carried out but can't say for certain beyond them turning off the water for the entire building yesterday and that being the only point at which the water stopped streaming out of the overflow/pressure relief pipe. This new owner has also attached some uPVC piping to what should be our overflow pipe for some reason so we know from that that they're at least fine with messing with other people's pipes and saying loudly outside that we can fix the problem if we want.

Got in contact with the letting agency but they're not exactly quick at getting back. We went 4 weeks without a shower because they couldn't be bothered sending out an electrician to replace the one we had with a broken thermostat. Thank god my partner's sister lives in the same street.

So yeah, no idea where the water is coming from but suspect there's either an issue with the old electric water heater or that the new owner downstairs has messed with pipework but either way, its going to be a long drawn out process to get things sorted, especially as like I say they think we need to sort things (even though turning our water off did nothing to the stream of water coming out). ::shrug:

Just what you need during a pandemic, potentially big plumbing and electrical work and new neighbours who think they own the bloody building because they bought a £30,000 studio flat.

Time to start saying such words as "lawyers". You don't have to follow through, but I've found it gets a fire under a letting agents arse most times.

Bad news: We haven't been anywhere since the lockdown, because obviously. But we decided to book Edinburgh to celebrate my 30th this past June. We go on the 30th, just as the restrictions are due to lift...maybe? 

I give up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

neighbours who think they own the bloody building because they bought a £30,000 studio flat.

:eek:

Did they buy it in 1999?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got home from work to find my garden in an absolute state, it looked like someone had half mowed it, but some of the parts that were mowed were done far too short, with the dirt showing.

Turns out it was a council employee on a ride on lawnmower. I have no idea why, as it's a private property and not council. It's not the nicest of gardens, but even when it's slightly overgrown it looks miles better than it does today.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell? I guess you have to give credit for the initiative of doing some work but question the idiocy with which it was done. On the positive side I imagine you’d have a pretty good case for the council to pay for your garden to be completely re-done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's my birthday on Tuesday and I booked a table at a nice Italian place saying they were going to be open on the 27th but now they've closed for an extra week and won't open again untill November so I guess I'll just get a fucking chinese and a couple bottles of wine or something.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, martinist said:

a couple bottles of wine or something.

Should be in the good stuff thread. :p

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, martinist said:

So it's my birthday on Tuesday and I booked a table at a nice Italian place saying they were going to be open on the 27th but now they've closed for an extra week and won't open again untill November so I guess I'll just get a fucking chinese and a couple bottles of wine or something.

For my 30th we found the fanciest sushi place in town that did take away and bought cupcakes from my wedding cake maker (who now has to make the cake for fucking next year. Sigh). 

I'd highly recommend it, whack your favourite game on, eat until your nearly sick and have a drink. Happy Birthday for Tuesday <3 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, Will said:

A chunk of one of my wisdom teeth just decided to go solo and break off. Doesn’t hurt thank god but looks like the tooth is dead inside so that’s going to need to be removed. Unfortunately my health insurance doesn’t cover dental so looking like a $2k bill to have that sorted out.

Had this removed yesterday and it was no where near as bad as I’d feared - recovering nicely today and it only cost me $1k so that’s definitely good.

I feel the birthday pain. Mine is in a few weeks and I just found out my favourite restaurant here is closing down just a few days later. Guess I’ll get one final meal there and then it’s all over. One of the few authentic Japanese places in the country so going to suck not having it around anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Costochondritis, (inflammation of the front of rib cage) likely as a result of spinal arthritis

naproxen isn't working, further treatment involves more complex medication or steroid injections, authorised by rhematology. I'm on the wait list which is 4+ YEARS.  

Hoping my GP can write to rhem and have my referral upgraded, but not optimistic 

it basically feels like having a heart attack 24/7 and any pressure on any part of my rib cage is awful

 

 

Edited by Raining_again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, martinist said:

 I guess I'll just get a fucking chinese and a couple bottles of wine or something.

So every single Chinese in Dumfries is closed on a Tuesday. >_< Ended up getting a pizza and a box of wine. Rebooked the dinner for the 6th of November.

best birthday ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, martinist said:

Ended up getting a pizza and a box of wine.
[...]
best birthday ever.

True :p

Happy birthday :peace:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martinist said:

So every single Chinese in Dumfries is closed on a Tuesday. >_< Ended up getting a pizza and a box of wine. Rebooked the dinner for the 6th of November.

best birthday ever.

Happy birthday!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 2:22 PM, Will said:

A chunk of one of my wisdom teeth just decided to go solo and break off. Doesn’t hurt thank god but looks like the tooth is dead inside so that’s going to need to be removed. Unfortunately my health insurance doesn’t cover dental so looking like a $2k bill to have that sorted out.

Had similar this week, a cusp of one of my molars just fell off while I was eating my breakfast. very odd experience. no pain in the tooth, but the edge was on the inside, everytime I swallowed I discovered my tongue brushes against that area of the tooth, and it felt like a knife edge. very uncomfortable.hope the rest of my teeth are in better condition than that!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to cancel the dinner since they called and said they had to close untill further notice. Guess I'll use the money for christmas presants or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother and I had a dual tattoo planned for 7-8 Nov, as you can imagine, has now been cancelled... 2020 just made it personal.

Now on leave for a week and got the sniffles, as is tradition this time of year. Naturally I hope it's nothing worse, but I'm going through my yearly ritual of plowing myself of Lemsip sachets and Beechams flu plus. Should resolve in a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update to my problems with the overflow/pressure relief pipe on my property.

Letting agency, despite repeated attempts to phone them (no answer each time) and several emails was not getting back to me. Yesterday evening, the owner of the downstairs property who has been causing bother appeared at my door under the pretense that my partner and I are causing too much noise (he put it that it was like cannon balls being dropped every 20 minutes even though were were sitting watching TV for much of the day and not moving around the property. My partner did accidentally drop a bottle of shampoo just before he came up though so clearly we're terrible people for doing that :blank:).

He quickly moved on from that and shot to questioning me about when the boiler was getting fixed. We've never talked to him and he hadn't talked to us about anything. We only found out about the issue with the pipe because he was mouthing off outside the property (shouting I might add to go along with the rest of the noise he's been creating in the last 3 months but again, its us that he's had to put up with for 3 months of noise despite no complaints from other neighbours in the building) yet he's adamant its our boiler and demanded to know when it was getting fixed. Told him we're trying to get the letting agency to sort things but he was being dismissive and then started to threaten getting legal aid because he's getting condensation on the inside of his £450 windows that he had to replace on his £40,000 studio flat (for some reason he felt a need to labour these points home not that it makes any difference other than he's a mug for paying that price for the property where we are as every other flat has sold for £30,000 or less in recent years. And for paying that much for 3 windows, I'd love to know why he's painted one of them on the inside that you can see from the car park, either dodging tv licence or doing something on the side).

He was getting quite aggressive but saying he isn't trying to cause bother because, "You know, we have to live with each other", but still trying to intimidate me. I just listened and reiterated that we're trying repeatedly to get in touch with the letting agency and will continue to do so so we can get it sorted as soon as possible. He eventually ran off, however, after my partner appeared at the door as well (he'd been trying really hard to maintain eye contact and be intimidating but bottled it when my missus showed up) saying "We'll see."

Didn't bother to go into all the bother he's been causing as I'm not away to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Anyway, shot a strongly worded email off to the owner of the letting agency hoping for a reply again while my partner phoned but no dice. Has my partner send the same email I sent from her address and wouldn't you know it, she got a reply. Looks like they're not going to respond to my emails (she's the lead named tenant on file, though my name is also on there) and they have in the past blocked my number when trying to resolve the shower tray issue we had a few years back.

All we got back is that they'll get a plumber out but so far we've heard nothing.

So we're now stuck in limbo with the looming threat of the man downstairs seeking legal action even though we're doing everything we can to resolve the issue, all while he saunters about the building like he owns it, creating noise at any time of the day he likes and we're to put up with it (I've been woken up several times at 4am with really loud bangs followed by laughing so I know he's purposefully making noise to be disruptive beyond the thumping House music at 2pm while my partner sleeps for night shift).

Its a bit of a nightmare to be honest. We can't afford to move at the moment either. So yeah, we're terrible neighbours causing too much noise and ignoring a problem with our property that only started when he moved in ::shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

So we're now stuck in limbo with the looming threat of the man downstairs seeking legal action even though we're doing everything we can to resolve the issue, all while he saunters about the building like he owns it, creating noise at any time of the day he likes and we're to put up with it (I've been woken up several times at 4am with really loud bangs followed by laughing so I know he's purposefully making noise to be disruptive beyond the thumping House music at 2pm while my partner sleeps for night shift).

Keep a record of days and times of when this occurs. The council likes it when you have information like that for complaints (while it's not illegal to play music stupidly loud in the day, it will still count alongside the 4AM noises).

You're not responsible for the boiler anyway, so there's zero legal action he can take against you, not to mention that his own work would need to be investigated as well. Perhaps give him the contact details of the letting agency so he has absolutely zero reason to talk to you about it, then also keep a record if he continues to badger you.

Are there other flats in the building? Are any of those having issues with the new people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My girlfriend has had to go to A&E due to massive head and neck pain. I absolutely hate having to leave her alone (I understand why, I still hate it). Hopefully it's nothing, but it's the second time in three nights it's happened and is much worse migraines she has had in the past.

 

Edit: It turned out it was a really bad migraine. Everything else checks out (including the cyst in her brain, which is still benign). She's been given advice on how to deal with them as they're unfortunately likely to be a regular thing.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Cube said:

Keep a record of days and times of when this occurs. The council likes it when you have information like that for complaints (while it's not illegal to play music stupidly loud in the day, it will still count alongside the 4AM noises).

You're not responsible for the boiler anyway, so there's zero legal action he can take against you, not to mention that his own work would need to be investigated as well. Perhaps give him the contact details of the letting agency so he has absolutely zero reason to talk to you about it, then also keep a record if he continues to badger you.

Are there other flats in the building? Are any of those having issues with the new people?

Yeah, we've been told to take down times of when he's making noise so have started doing it. Its a bit of a pain but if he's going to actively go out of his way to make noise and keep waking me up (as happened again this morning), then I'll need evidence if I'm to take it further.

Not sure if anyone else is having the exact same issues as us but I know fhat others in the building aren't too happy about his noise either and how he's trying to claim the back garden for the building, which is all communal space, as his own personal garden. He's made a concerted effort to get to know all the neighbours in the building bar us and one other flat where they don't get on (and that has to do with the use of the front garden which he isn't happy about which again has nothing to do with him). Do need to see what others in the building say but obviously with everything going on pandemic wise, and very few going out with masks on, not the best but will see.

Did manage to wrangle the letting agency to get someone out for the boiler. Just threatened them with legal action and would you believe that someone appeared and fixed it in under an hour (and that included a trip out to get a new ballcock for the boiler). So at least we've solved that. Didn't bother informing him that it was fixed because of his attempt at intimidation the other night but there was a faint knock at the door during dinner that I suspect was him but I wasn't answering.

We have been looking to see if there is another flat going in the area as him offsetting his noise and complaining about us is impacting on how we do stuff in the flat. Having to change my entire exercise routine because he was thumping the roof at me doing step ups on a box step (when there wasn't even that much noise). Not much going and shouldn't have to move but can't be dealing with someone like that below us if that's how he's going to act.

Glad it wasn't anything serious with your girlfriend Cube. Can't imagine having to drop my partner off at A&E at the moment (bad enough when she heads off for night shift in a care home with everything going on and with it being a home that takes a lot of extreme dementia cases in top of Huntington's, Schizophrenia and any other neurodegenerative disorder you can think of) but sucks that the migraines are something she'll have to deal with going forward. Hopefully she'll manage to find something to minimise them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So situation in my building has deteriorated to the point we're actively looking to move out. Got a flat viewing for somewhere just along the road for Tuesday with the intention that we're taking it, viewing is pretty much formality and my sister in law and her partner are helping get money together to get us out of the current flat as soon as possible because of events that have transpired.

Got the overflow sorted on Tuesday only to find there was no hot water Wednesday. Thought that it wasn't a big deal as with the boiler getting turned off to fix the overflow, I just thought that it had reset itself and it would be back to normal for Thursday morning. Cue Thursday morning and I decided to check if we had hot water, nope. None at all despite nothing tripped on the fuse board and all necessary switches for the boiler heating up being on. Emailed and phoned the letting agency multiple times Thursday and Friday, no answers on either end. So we've been without hot water since Wednesday due to another issue thats appeared with the boiler from it being switched off, possibly the thermostat but we don't know.

So tearing our hair out with the letting agency. That's not the worst of it though. Thursday we were stripping wallpaper in the kitchen and I was putting boarder tape round a wall on the bathroom for painting around lunch time. Cue the man in the downstairs property going ape shit, club music full volume, actively thumping the roof and screaming "Get a job you smelly bustards!". Tried to go and have a talk with him to be civilised but no answer at the door.

This continued for 15 minutes at which point I decided I'd try again to speak to him and find out what's going on. I get out of my flat and I'm at the top of the stairs and he starts slamming the front door and then he comes tearing out the flat up the stairs at me. Partner jumps in between and he starts going off about how it sounds like cannon balls on the floor again and f-ing this and that. Partner is trying to speak to him but he's actively trying to get passed her to take a swing at me, pointing at me and saying he wants a word with me, dismissing my partner by saying "Away you go you fucking woman!" and waving his hand in her face.

Man from another downstairs property comes in and starts swearing and tearing about whats going on and how its a disgrace, again having a go at my partner despite me trying to get passed her to stop them having a go at her, and then eventually the guy starts to quiet down while we try and explain what's happening.

He's used to being above everyone and admits he has a temper and over reacted but isn't really taking anything in when I'm telling him we're having to tip toe round the flat because the floorboards are creaking (because its cold in the flats, there's no DPC or insulation in the walls or floorboards and because they're old). He eventually says we shouldn't have to be tip toeing but I get the gist he doesn't really care as he wants things to be a certain way.

Anyway, we have a talk and leave it there, but I don't think he's been receptive to what we've said and its just left us feeling on edge and me and my partner especially angry at how she was treated. We later found out from one of the upstairs neighbours the guy's back story. Ex-army, tours in the Gulf and Afghanistan and may well have a criminal record as he was notorious in a certain really rough bar in Dundee for going in and actively seeking out fights (from the sounds of it, he got beaten up more often than not). We've been told to steer clear because of how volatile he is.

So having to move as we can't reasonably live with having to tip toe round everywhere. Can't really do anything at home as we don't know if he'll escalate and kick the door in or worse. Just not safe to be where we are and my partner isn't eating properly because of the stress so we're really hoping that if things go to plan, will have paper work and keys to a new place by middle of this coming week and can then start getting stuff moved to get away from things (we've already git people lined up to help, including a few older guys who can help try and keep the peace if the guy downstairs kicks off). We'll still have the keys for the current place for a month but at least we'll be living elsewhere and can get the painting that we were starting on Thursday finished and get the place tidied for handing the keys back.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites