Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Wolverine

Retro_Link

2009xmenwolverine006.jpg

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/113/1134208p1.html

Wolverine Title Announced

Plus director reveals that the film will be a standalone project rather than a sequel.

Darren Aronofsky gave a brief update on the status of his Wolverine project at the weekend, revealing the title and explaining that it will be a standalone film.

Speaking to HitFix, Aronofsky said that the film will simply be called The Wolverine, and that it will very much be a "one-off."

The feature will therefore be unconnected to both the X-Men movies and Gavin Hood's X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Best decision to distance this film from the others, as all the latest films have been rubbish!

Seems like The Wolverine story is being retold yet again, hopefully better this time!

Edited by Retro_Link

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such a surreal situation, having Aronofsky direct this. It's like he's doing them a favour, out of goodwill or something. :D It feels like if David Lynch announced he'd be directing the next High School Musical.

Hopefully he'll make it awesome. He's a great director.

I can't imagine anyone else playing him to be honest...

I actually like a lot of the Casting from the X-Men films. Thought Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, Professor X, Magneto etc were all great. And Rebecca Romijn was a great movie Mystique, if very different to the comic version.

IMDB's synopsis says "Wolverine travels to Japan to train with a samurai warrior." Not sure if there's enough salt in the sea to take with that, but there you go. I have no idea if there's any work done with wolvie and Japan that's at all canonical, either.

Too sooooon, for me. Reeks of money-spinning.

Yeah, Japan is a big part of Wolverine's backstory. I have no opinion on it as I have very little opinion on the character himself these days (despite my avatar and sig).

But yeah, Japan isn't some random addition. He was even gonna get married to a japanese betch.

X-MEN173_15b.jpg?t=1282398767

X-MEN173_17a.jpg?t=1282398732

And Lady Deathstrike is from there etc.

p.s I love Madelyne Pryor's hair in that second scan.

I'm tired of superhero movies. Just like I'm tired of Zombies, Cowboys, Aliens, Mobsters, and all the other overdone, deeply annoying ramparts of the film industrys inability to approach their medium with anything other than fiscal considerations.

That said, I did go and see Jackass 3D. Can anyone say "part of the problem"?

• 11 months later...
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/121/1211063p1.html

The Wolverine Will Be Unlike Any Other Superhero Film

So claims director James Mangold.

The Wolverine director James Mangold declares that "we're out to make that Wolverine movie that people have been looking forward to seeing."

In a chat with The Playlist, Mangold said he and screenwriter Mark Bomback are aggressively revising the screenplay and that he is glad to be free from having to tell an origin story or a save the world yarn. "I think that this movie is much more an intense psychological and action-packed character piece, that's much more about Logan getting lost in this very unique and insulated world of Japanese culture, gangster culture, and ninja culture," said Mangold of the Japan-set tale.

Saying it has more in common with classics such as The Outlaw Josey Wales and Chinatown than it does other comic book movies, Mangold said The Wolverine "is like a foreign-language superhero movie that's as much a drama and a detective story and a film noir, with high-octane action as it is anything like a conventional tentpole film."

He called the film "a character piece, asking really interesting questions that are what pulled me in about what it means to be immortal. What is it to live forever, when you lose everyone you've ever loved? Either you watch them get killed, or you just lose them by attrition. What is it to feel the burden of saving mankind through all of its mistakes, over and over and over again. What's the toll it takes on you as a living being that is somehow living this Frankensteinian, eternal life? And there's a lot of interesting dramatic questions we're going to deliver on as well as some really inventive action."

The Wolverine aims to finally start filming next year.

I've never really been impressed with anything they've done with Wolverine up til now, so I really do hope for something different.

I think I'd rather they just handed the character back to Marvel... let them dress him in Yellow, and stick him in the Avengers 2! :p

Mangold said The Wolverine "is like a foreign-language superhero movie

Yes, I'm sure there won't just be a majority of Japanese characters all speaking english with a Japanese accent.

Wolverine speaks fluent Japanese in the comics - but I don't expect Jackman to learn that...nor that any producer/s would let such a potential money-spinner be foreign language.

[/mildly pedantic/nitpicky]

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!