N-Europe

Stolen

Daft

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost got into a fight a few months back with a berk who stole my drink. I couldn't have cared less about it but he then made out the drink was actually his and I was trying to steal it. He eventually realised he was being a twat when he said his drink was a Vodka/Redbull and finally noticed the drink was contained in a bottle with a Millers logo plastered all over it.

It's weird you should say that as it's a marketing phenomenon that people don't usually relate to themselves. It basically means that people use products or brands to try and tell other people what they're all about. Common ones are people using the iconic white Apple earphones (not so much any more, but 6/7 years ago before they got hugely popular). One major one is parents dressing babies up in certain ways.*

I don't really get you. I think you're getting confused between product and practice. My bike is what gets me where I want to go. The number of times I've left the house without it this year probably numbers around 20. My ability to use it completely reshapes London, it stops becoming an obscene obstacle to overcome. It makes it much smaller and much more manageable.

Also, as dumb as it might sound, how I use my bike and how much control I have over it can literally make the difference between life and death. I've lost count of the number of times I've almost been seriously/fatally injured on that bike due to moronic pedestrians or drivers. Basically my life is in the hands of my bike every day - I think it would be bizarre to not get attached to something that has that much power over your life.

Not to mention it's damn good exercise that I recognise. This may also sound silly but it's important to me.

I honestly don't care for the most part what my bike looks like. It's quite a striking bike visually but I actually don't really like its look. So I guess on that superficial level it is a miss with me but what it is and does is much more important that what it looks like and what people think of it/me.

It would be silly to not think of my bike as an extension of me. It plays a very big part in who I am and how I can be.

I don't really get you. I think you're getting confused between product and practice. My bike is what gets me where I want to go. The number of times I've left the house without it this year probably numbers around 20. My ability to use it completely reshapes London, it stops becoming an obscene obstacle to overcome. It makes it much smaller and much more manageable.

Also, as dumb as it might sound, how I use my bike and how much control I have over it can literally make the difference between life and death. I've lost count of the number of times I've almost been seriously/fatally injured on that bike due to moronic pedestrians or drivers. Basically my life is in the hands of my bike every day - I think it would be bizarre to not get attached to something that has that much power over your life.

Not to mention it's damn good exercise that I recognise. This may also sound silly but it's important to me.

I honestly don't care for the most part what my bike looks like. It's quite a striking bike visually but I actually don't really like its look. So I guess on that superficial level it is a miss with me but what it is and does is much more important that what it looks like and what people think of it/me.

It would be silly to not think of my bike as an extension of me. It plays a very big part in who I am and how I can be.

Obviously that's not what you were referring to then.

It's Belk's (1988) Extended Self Theory. In my hungover state I'm not the best at explaining it.

"The Possessions and the Extended Self theory states that many of the products we buy are like extensions of our inner desires, wants, and beliefs about ourselves. "

http://www.simplysearch4it.com/article/48066.html

There's a basic article about it because I can't be bothered reading the proper journal on it.

Only thing I've ever had nicked is the phone I left in the bar once. Amazing how quickly phones get swiped that way- even if you call it within an hour or so your phone will be switched off, sans sim card faster than you'd imagine. Nobody ever returns a lost phone, they just take it.

Oh wait, I do have one. I lost my debit card on the way to the train station at the beginning of my Disneyland holiday last year. I literally got off the bus and realised it wasn't there. Without it, I couldn't collect train tickets or anything. I thought I was screwed, thought I'd ruined the entire holiday we were totally excited about, before we'd even left.

As it happened, I was able to beg and plead our way not only to London, but also onto the Eurostar and even into the hotel.

And someone handed my card in to my nearest bank!

I can't recall ever having anything stolen from me the way that a lot of people have here. Someone broke into my parents house before I was born though. They didn't take much, but they did eat a week old pizza that my dad had forgotten to throw out before my parents had gone out of town. The the thieves also tried to take my dad's car, but the battery had died before my parents left, and they decided not to replace it until they got back into town. They also found the stereo sitting on the back step.

I also recall having a textbook (one that was borrowed from the school though) stolen from me a few years back. The kid who did it made it very obvious that he did it though (Came up to me right after I realized it was missing and said "WHERE'S YOUR TEXT BOOK" and kept going on and on about me not having it). Eventually someone found it sitting on a shelf in some random classroom after it had been traced between a ton of kids who had passed it around and one of them eventually hid it there.

Nobody ever returns a lost phone, they just take it.

Happenstance will vouch that that isn't true. He found a phone, I ended up with it and called a number called "Nan" as there was no Mum or Dad on there. They picked the phone up later that day. Was a nice phone too.

Only thing I've ever had nicked is the phone I left in the bar once. Amazing how quickly phones get swiped that way- even if you call it within an hour or so your phone will be switched off, sans sim card faster than you'd imagine. Nobody ever returns a lost phone, they just take it.

Happenstance will vouch that that isn't true. He found a phone, I ended up with it and called a number called "Nan" as there was no Mum or Dad on there. They picked the phone up later that day. Was a nice phone too.

I found a phone on a train once. Phoned 'mum' and she came to pick it up later on from my work.

In a club I left my wallet in my jacket and handed said jacket into the cloakroom, realising I had left my wallet in my jacket I went back to the cloakroom and my wallet had gone from my jacket, I called up the club the next day, my wallet magically returned with 40 pounds missing, typical.

When I was in sydney, I met a bloke from the USA who when out in pubs and clubs would do a bit of mine sweeping, basically going round swiping people drinks and drinking them, nice chap he was.

Can't really think of anything important...

I think my phone was robbed/found by someone before. I rang them, explained but they just told me to leave them alone...

I didn't bother calling back as the phone wasn't that great anyway and I don't really use my phone that often.

*waits for someone to say they've had something silly robbed, like their virginity...*

Edited by Frank