N-Europe

Getting rid of those awful sticks (PS3 Pad)

Goafer

Do the 360 sticks keep their tighter feeling of control, or is this simply just a case of getting some concave sticks.

Just a case of having concave sticks really. I suppose it would be possible to transfer the whole stick (electrics and all) to keep the feeling of the 360 pad, but to be honest it's too much work, involves soldering and I didn't realise there was a difference in feeling.

err...

cross_battle_adapter_small.jpg

It's not even expensive... And it's absolutely perfect, you have my word.

I looked into those ages ago, but when I was looking the trigger buttons weren't analogue when using it. Have they fixed that yet?

Also, it was too expensive (£60 on Amazon). I just had a couple of spare 360 pads since my 360 RROD'd so figured I'd spruce up my PS3 pads.

Also also, they adapter is kind of pointless now that this is out. Especially considering that you'll need to buy the adapter and a 360 pad if you don't already own a 360.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a case of having concave sticks really. I suppose it would be possible to transfer the whole stick (electrics and all) to keep the feeling of the 360 pad, but to be honest it's too much work, involves soldering and I didn't realise there was a difference in feeling.

I looked into those ages ago, but when I was looking the trigger buttons weren't analogue when using it. Have they fixed that yet?

Also, it was too expensive (£60 on Amazon). I just had a couple of spare 360 pads since my 360 RROD'd so figured I'd spruce up my PS3 pads.

Also also, they adapter is kind of pointless now that this is out. Especially considering that you'll need to buy the adapter and a 360 pad if you don't already own a 360.

Has some awful reviews though...

Has some awful reviews though...

Yeah. From what I've read some people love it and some people hate it. I think there is a better one from a different company coming out soonish.

nyko-raven.jpg

I have also read awful reviews of the XCM too. I guess both depend on how fussy you are when it comes to pads. I'm not that bothered. I used to hate the PS3 pad, but now I can deal with it although I do prefer the 360 pad.

Also, the tutorial again since it might be missed at the bottom of the last page:

Since other people seem to want to have a go at this, I thought I'd put together a quick tutorial whilst I was doing my second pad. Turns out a current Dual Shock pad is much easier to put back together than an old SixAxis (not sure about the early DualShock pads or later SixAxis ones. There have been several revisions). If you look at your L1/L2 buttons and see if there is a separate bit of plastic between them. If the divide between them is part of the back panel (no seams), it's easier to put back together. If the divide between them is separate from the front and back, it's a bit tricky, but doable. I have no patience and I managed to get it back together.

Stuff You'll Need

1.jpg

Wire cutters to cut the sticks with

Hex set to take apart the 360 pad

Screwdriver to take apart the PS3 pad

PS3 Pad

360 Pad (or just the sticks)

Taking Apart the 360 Pad

2.jpg

3 screws on either side and 1 in the middle under the barcode sticker. It took me a while to find the middle screw since I figured there would be one under the bigger sticker. It's the smaller barcode sticker that the screw is under.

3.jpg

I unplugged the rumble motors to make things easier. There are no screws holding the circuit board to the front of the pad, so just jiggle it around for a bit and it should come away, revealing the lovely sticks. They just slide off of the electrics. I didn't bother reassembling the 360 pad as it was pretty knackered anyway. I had a look to see if the PS3 sticks work on the 360. They do, but you'll need to stuff something down the hole of the PS3 sticks as they are deeper than the 360 ones.

Taking Apart the PS3 Pad

4.jpg

Six normal screws. There are no screws under the stickers, so you don't have to worry about battered/missing stickers on the finished product.

5.jpg

The battery is just rested on a plastic tray. Unplug it from the board (just pull it).

6.jpg

This screw holds the board to the front of the pad. Unscrew it and juggle the board free. The rumble motors are soldered to the board so be careful not to yank them out. I didn't really touch the motors, but they seemed to be secure to the front panel, so be careful not to yank at the wires too much. There isn't much room to maneuver the board to get to the sticks.

7.jpg

The inner stick has to be cut since the 360 sticks are shallower than the PS3's. I cut mine about here, but you could cut less and keep cutting more to suit. I wasn't precise with either of my pads and they work just fine. Trial and error is a good bet. Just screw the circuit board back onto the front of the pad and you'll soon see if the inner stick is too long.

Then just put the pad back together the same way it was taken apart. Don't forget to put the battery back in though. I did that on the first one!

Edited by Goafer

Yeah. From what I've read some people love it and some people hate it. I think there is a better one from a different company coming out soonish.

nyko-raven.jpg

I have also read awful reviews of the XCM too. I guess both depend on how fussy you are when it comes to pads. I'm not that bothered. I used to hate the PS3 pad, but now I can deal with it although I do prefer the 360 pad.

Also, the tutorial again since it might be missed at the bottom of the last page:

yeah the raven that ones called! I dunno i just have this inherent distrust of third party controllers...

The 360 pads are pretty much annoying besides the triggers. It feels as if they wanted to indent or add a feel/shape to everything. Unfortunately it makes the controller feel uncomfy. The buttons and sticks grate after any decent amount of play. Move has a really nice trigger('influenced' no doubt) that Sony should copy though. I hope they copy the feel of that as its solid. So hopefully they all use that in the next pads.

Ninty and MS need to also perhaps spend afew more pennies making their build quality better. One of the obvious differences is the lower dpi/sensitivity on 360 and especially Wii compared to PS3 games. Wii is just hopeless, its closer to a digital stick than anlogue on fine movement. I tested COD and you can aim faster yet have more control on the DS3 than the 360 or sixaxis pad. Having said that on actual targets the auto aim works either way. On HD TV's the extra dpi helps. Try playing GT5 Prologue with Sixaxis and then DS3. Its a huge difference. I cant play with the sixaxis at all on that or fps games.

The 360 pads are pretty much annoying besides the triggers. It feels as if they wanted to indent or add a feel/shape to everything. Unfortunately it makes the controller feel uncomfy. The buttons and sticks grate after any decent amount of play. Move has a really nice trigger('influenced' no doubt) that Sony should copy though. I hope they copy the feel of that as its solid. So hopefully they all use that in the next pads.

Ninty and MS need to also perhaps spend afew more pennies making their build quality better. One of the obvious differences is the lower dpi/sensitivity on 360 and especially Wii compared to PS3 games. Wii is just hopeless, its closer to a digital stick than anlogue on fine movement. I tested COD and you can aim faster yet have more control on the DS3 than the 360 or sixaxis pad. Having said that on actual targets the auto aim works either way. On HD TV's the extra dpi helps. Try playing GT5 Prologue with Sixaxis and then DS3. Its a huge difference. I cant play with the sixaxis at all on that or fps games.

Your relation with Sony is like my grandma's relation with the catholic church.

I did notice that the PS3 pad (especially the DualShock) seemed to be put together better when I was taking them apart. The circuit board and rumble motors were just wedged between the 2 halves of the controller on the 360 pad, whereas the PS3 controller had the rumble motors secured to the front panel and the board screwed down.

Still doesn't change the fact that the triggers are shit (the fact that the real triggers even exist proves that), the left stick is in the wrong place and both sticks are stupidly shaped. I don't despise the PS3 pad as much as I used to, but I still can't say I like it.

FYI I'm going to delete any fanboyish posts from now on. I'd rather this thread concentrated on the modding angle, or at the very least a weighted and unbiased opinion must occur at some point in the post.

I.E. If your post annoys me, I'll delete it.

good idea if you ask me!

All done!

Took me ages to get the back of the case on once I was finished, I thought I had to be really precise and was worried about messing up the triggers (they can be a bitch :heh:), but once I found the knack i could pop it off and on in an instant.

Haven't actually tried playing a game yet bet I turned the ps3 on and they still work fine in the menus. Took some pictures as well...

IMAG0006.jpg?t=1288110094

IMAG0009_edit0.jpg?t=1288110391