N-Europe

What Have You Bought?

Ashley

On 7/10/2024 at 3:47 PM, Happenstance said:

Liking the touch screen so I can turn lights on and off if I don't fancy speaking during the night.

So glad we finally solved that problem

Some shizzle from the eShop as they were cheap.

Green_Hell_Nintendo_Switch_(Digital_Rele

I was feeling the need to play Lost in Blue, and looking at similar games

H2x1_NSwitchDS_TheLastCampfire.jpg

This was a surprising find and a nice playthrough. It has feelings of Journey, coupled with the Shrine puzzles from Zelda. The only thing I would consider a downside is the narration, it's done by this lass with an accent who most of the time feels like she's reading it for the first time and there's no emotion. Plus the script is completely terrible. Everything said this game could've done without and been the better for it.

Buy it though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 8:46 AM, drahkon said:

81y93o7IKdL._SL1500_.jpg810KMGm3L7L._SL1500_.jpg

I've met someone at the beginning of this year and we've had lots and lots of talks about feminism. I realized most recently that there's way too much I don't know.
So I looked up some essential reads and these two books came up a lot.

Have you managed to read much of these? Look very interesting.

12 minutes ago, Will said:

Have you managed to read much of these? Look very interesting.

Delivery was delayed so I got them both yesterday.
Started reading The Second Sex and it is very interesting. de Beauvoir's writing style (which is translated pretty accurately) proves to be a little difficult for me, but I don't doubt I'll get used to it rather quickly.

Chapter 1 was already a fantastic read. de Beauvoir explains that in nature the division into two sexes is not a given and is not something the patriarchy should base their notion of "superiority" on.
I guess it's a good thing that I thought "well, yeah...that's obvious" (and I'm hopeful that a lot of people think the same as this is a sign of progress), but given the state of the world it is most definitely not so obvious for a lot of men. Or to rephrase: A lot of men are oblivious to those facts. Or to rephrase again: A lot of men choose to ignore those facts.

Can't wait to read more.

It's worth remembering The Second Sex was written 75 years ago so you would hope things by now some of its points are a bit more

marge-simpsons-well-duh.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&

Although as you say, maybe not to everyone! 

And as you seem to be reliving my degree, maybe try out some Judith Butler next. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

And as you seem to be reliving my degree, maybe try out some Judith Butler next. 

Any particular recommendations?
Oh, and what's your degree?

Edited by drahkon

24 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Any particular recommendations?
Oh, and what's your degree?

Gender Trouble is the one I recall most from my degree (and that is to say, looking at Wikipedia that is the one I said "oh yeah that was it"). Turns out they've written a few more books both while I was at uni and since so my knowledge is outdated. 

It was Media and cultural studies with a minor in film. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Gender Trouble is the one I recall most from my degree (and that is to say, looking at Wikipedia that is the one I said "oh yeah that was it"). Turns out they've written a few more books both while I was at uni and since so my knowledge is outdated.

Sweet. Gender Trouble is quite expensive it seems.
They also recently released Who's Afraid of Gender.

Gonna put both on my wish list for the future :)

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

It was Media and cultural studies with a minor in film. 

I'm still half asleep but I read that initially as your degree was called Gender Trouble and now I'm disappointed that it wasn't.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I'm still half asleep but I read that initially as your degree was called Gender Trouble and now I'm disappointed that it wasn't.

The book did feature heavily so it may as well have been. 

Although would have been better if it was named after another module; Evil. Turned out that was the most boring module too.