N-Europe

Apple 'traitorware' can take your photo and shut down your jailbroken iPhone, iPad

Wesley

APPLE has been accused of creating "traitorware" for trying to patent security software that tracks down people who jailbreak their iPhones and iPads and locks them out of their devices.

Jailbreaking allows users to access software and features for their devices that have not been sanctioned by Apple.

The process was declared legitimate by a US court earlier this month, but Apple said any such interference in their device will void its warranty.

Apple's patent, which went before the US Patent and Trademark Office earlier this week, is for "systems and methods for identifying unauthorised users of an electronic device".

Using the software, Apple can remotely access your sensitive information and data, ostensibly to determine if you are an “authorised userâ€.

Among the information they can access, the system can take a flashless, undetectable photo of the users' face (with the iPhone 4's front-facing camera) and multiple photos of the surrounding location.

It can also record the users' voice regardless of whether they are making a phone call, monitor their internet usage and record the heartbeat and “vibration signature†of the user.

According to the patent application, if these identifiers do not match the "authorised" user, the system then determines if there is "suspicious behaviour".

Suspicious behaviour, says the application "comprises one or more of hacking the electronic device, jailbreaking the electronic device, unlocking the electronic device, removing a SIM card from the electronic device, and moving at least a predetermined distance away from a synced device".

If Apple decides that all this adds up to unauthorised use they will remotely lock or shut down the offending iPhone or iPad, making it unusable.

It's been labelled by watchdog organisations as dangerous spyware. They even invented a new word for it – “traitorwareâ€.

US civil liberties group, Electronic Frontier Foundation, has called the patent "downright creepy and invasive" and overkill for technology that is to track down a lost or stolen phone - something already possible with the "Mobile Me" app.

"This patented process could be used to retaliate against you if you jailbreak or tinker with your device in ways that Apple views as 'unauthorised' even if it is perfectly legal," it said.

There are obvious financial incentives for Apple putting an end to the legal process and the Electronic Frontier Foundation believe this could be the greater motive behind the software.

“This patent application does nothing short of providing a roadmap for how Apple can - and presumably will - spy on its customers and control the way its customers use Apple products.â€

Electronic Frontiers Australia shares their concerns.

“There are huge privacy implications.†Colin Jacobs, chair of EFA told news.com.au

“It raises the risk of what happens if someone gains unauthorised access to the information… if this information is stored then it's pretty clear that someone will come looking for it.â€

http://www.news.com.au/technology/apple-traitorware-can-take-your-photo-and-shut-down-your-jailbroken-iphone-ipad/story-e6frfro0-1225909901032

Mental...

Actually, Library of Congress has ruled that Jailbreaking is in fact legal. And with certain wording and restrictions so is circumventing DRM.

I can see this causing trouble in the US when users are punished for doing something deemed legal.

I don't think it means it's legal for them to shut down your device if it's jailbroken... rather that they're allowed to put in place security from stopping you (from originally doing it) because it voids your warranty.

But really the shocking case is indeed the whole picture and voice thing...

Has anyone shown Steve his 1984 advert recently...?

Well it's not fair, because it's a legal practice to jailbreak the devices.

Yeah but it's not to download Cydia and pirate paid apps. That's the main reason people jailbreak which isn't fair on Apple or more importantly developers.

Yeah but it's not to download Cydia and pirate paid apps. That's the main reason people jailbreak which isn't fair on Apple or more importantly developers.

Actually, it's legal to Jailbreak specifically to install apps otherwise unavailable. From what I can tell Cydia is for that purpose more so than pirating apps (which would be illegal regardless).

Right... yeah, some people pirate apps...

Some people also jailbreak so they can have the simple options that Apple don't allow as well though...

I'm amazed that people are seeming to excuse this ridiculous idea.

I just get the feeling that if this was a Microsoft idea for their Windows 7 phones a lot more people would be calling them on this.

Why would one need to pirate apps? There's more than enough free ones that you don't even need to look at the paid ones. And the games you can download, finish them in a few minutes/hours and get a complete refund by simply uninstalling them within a day.

Hang on. Wrong OS.

To be honest I kind of hate pirates sometimes...

It feels like a lot of excuses they give are just that, excuses.

I mean everything on the app store is super cheap and it's an incredibly efficient system to suit the user.

I'd be calling them on this if it was actually a planned 'feature'. Until then I couldn't really give a rats arse.

Fair enough... I just think it's insane that they plan these things to the extent that they want to patent them.

Why would one need to pirate apps? There's more than enough free ones that you don't even need to look at the paid ones. And the games you can download, finish them in a few minutes/hours and get a complete refund by simply uninstalling them within a day.

Hang on. Wrong OS.

How about for Tom Tom? A £70 app that works just like the dedicated sets. Or for Street Fighter IV? A great game but with a hefty £6 price tag.

Also playing a game, completing it in a day and requesting a refund is pretty much piracy anyway.

I don't use jailbreak for piracy - I mainly use it for things like SBSettings which cuts down simple tasks and adds a fair bit of functionality to my phone. But I can see why people would use it for that.

Edited by Shorty

Also playing a game, completing it in a day and requesting a refund is pretty much piracy anyway.

Well, as the money isn't taken out of your account it's actually a 24-hour demo. Which should be standard for the more expensive apps (that, or a demo one available for free).

I saw someone mention this on the old feebs, crazy ass shit. Also, I think Jailbreaking is probably illegal kind of in the sense of breaking a contract/civil sense, cos it breaks teh EULA, not illegal criminal illegal though, basically only illegal cos apple tells you not to do it if you want to use their product?

Addressing the actual point of the original post however, whether or not it's just a patent they're seeking, it's an actual idea they're contemplating. A really fucking creepy idea!

Edited by Rummy

How is it any more creepy than Google remotely killing apps on your phone?

But that is rather simple. Your records are stored in your marketplace history and Google put a flag to remove it. They can't do anything if you install the app without using the marketplace.

How is it any more creepy than Google remotely killing apps on your phone?

Some pervert in an Apple cubicle could be remotely controlling the camera in your phone or recording a private conversation, or monitoring your pulse if this came to fruition.

How is that anything but terrifyingly creepy?