NEurope
Guy

Blu-ray/High Definition Media!

I figure it would be a pretty sweet idea to have a thread where any Blu-ray nuts like myself can come and discuss upcoming discs and purchases they've made.

I most recently picked up The Neverending Story in HMV for £7 and I gotta say it looks about a thousand times more amazing than I'd ever expected it to. It's still chock full of grain and print damage, but everything is so much clearer than the DVD.

The effects hold up fairly well too, at least any that don't involve the terrifying Wish Dragon Falkor flying anywhere. That just looks rubbish.

Anyone else into this expensive entertainment medium?

Blu rays are awesome, but they aren't done justice till they're played through a 24p TV.

Picture moves so smooth.

i have the spiderman 3 blu-ray that came with my PS3.

and thats about it.

My tv only does 720p so i probably wont bother until i upgrade

My tv only does 720p so i probably wont bother until i upgrade

I'm pretty sure that unless a TV is more than around 24 (I think) inches, the human eye can't actually distinguish between 720p and 1080p.

I have a TV with like, 100hz or something. I keep it to the minimum setting since on full it makes everything look like a soap opera. Basically gives me added sharpness, clarity and smoother motion without absolutely destroying the illusion of cinema.

I can't wait for the upcoming Blu-rays of Back to the Future. I'm staying away from limited editions from now on as a rule, but the man set of this has the incredible inclusions of the OUTTA TIME license plate, Sports Almanac and all sorts of other goodies to tempt me oh, so badly.

Blu rays are awesome, but they aren't done justice till they're played through a 24p TV.

Picture moves so smooth.

Pfft!

I paid more than that for my TV!

I watched my first Blu-ray all the way through recently! (although strangely I've started watching Iron Man twice but never finished it). It was this and it looked...pretty much the same ::shrug: But I appreciated all the extra special features that I watched with aplomb.

My favourite Blu-rays are CG animation or old hand drawn stuff in HD. Old cel animation looks almost too real. New stuff is great too, but it's almost too shiny and perfect. With cel animation you can see the shadows from when it was shot in layers and everything, as if the setup is right infront of you. Nerd wank.

My favourite movie Gremlins has an absolutely abysmal HD transfer though. It's not right.

Pixar films on BluRay = Epic Win.

Even the old stuff like Toy Story looks amazing in it.

SciFi stuff is always good for the special effects. Star Trek & Stargate Universe for example

I've yet to buy a blu-ray...

Just seems odd to go from ditching my DVDs in favour of digital content, to then go back to physical media.

I think I'll still buy box sets of TV shows when they come out on blu-ray though.

I'm slowly building my bluray collection, all my purchases from now on will be bluray, everything just looks so much clearer. Espcially older films like the Original Stargate movie, most of that looks like it was only recently filmed when watched on bulray it's amazing.

I got a 60inch 1080p Samsung Plasma which is almost like having a private cinema whenever i watch stuff (and play my Wii.. which looks pretty awesome with component cables).

I do have a ton of DVDs though so I have said I won't buy anything on Bluray that I already own on DVD, so like the aforementioned Back to the Future, I got the dvd trilogy boxset so no need for the bluray.

Blurays I have:

Battlestar Galactica Complete Series Boxset (includes the movie Razor)

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan

Stargate (original movie)

Toy Story 1 & 2

Karate Kid 1 & 2

I've got enough with my HD tv and upscaling DVD player... Maybe if it gets cheaper/mainstream I would consider it.

Most of my media is watched through my laptop anyway..

lol mokong 60 inch?? how much did that cost you!?

I've got enough with my HD tv and upscaling DVD player... Maybe if it gets cheaper/mainstream I would consider it.

Most of my media is watched through my laptop anyway..

lol mokong 60 inch?? how much did that cost you!?

A cousin of mine found it on sale in Dublin only like 900 euro I think it was.

That was last year, but now I do wish I had waited a bit longer for the price of LEDs to come down.

I could afford a nice 42 inch Samsung LED TV, but I don't want to go down in size and the larger LEDs just outside my price range :heh:

In retrospect had I not gotten the current one I would have been more than happy with a 42inch

Edited by Mokong

Never watched a Blu-Ray, don't own any, as I don't have a player.

I'll wait until it replaces DVD.

And fact is, you're not going to walk into Fopp and find some amazing arthouse/weird/arty/foreign/stunning film for £3 on Blu-Ray (yet). So I'm not sold.

Got my 46" LED Samsung...is awesoe. The picture clarity on the BluRays is amazing

My BluRay Collection;

Fantastic Four (Came with my PS3)

Cloverfield

Cars

Monsters Inc

Ratatouille

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

Up

WALL-E

Star Trek

Stargate Movie

Stargate Universe - Season One

Doctor Who - The Specials

I'm also considering getting all of LOST on BluRay

Favourite Blu-Ray is obviously The Dark Knight.

This is an amazing Blu-Ray, probably the best thing to put on to show people that there is a difference. The detail of Hong Kong and Gotham is just incredible.

Only Blu-Ray I have is The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Season 2 and it looks great. Bit too expensive at the moment for me, and I'm fine having my DVDs upscale as they still look good enough.

This is an amazing Blu-Ray, probably the best thing to put on to show people that there is a difference. The detail of Hong Kong and Gotham is just incredible.

I dunno. The constant aspect ratio change completely annoys me and takes me out of the film.

Picture quality is good, yes, but that is a massive issue

Gotham? I only saw Gotham City in Begins. It was all Hong Kong and New York in The Dark Knight.

Anyway, since I got my laptop I've been renting Blu-Rays from Lovefilm. I also own Serenity and Pan's Labarynth on Blu-Ray.

The film that surprised me the most in terms of picture quality was Total Recall (it was the first oldish film I saw on Blu-Ray).

I've currently got about 90 Blu Rays and have just added Avatar, 2012, The Proposal and some other cheap ones. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of The Pacific on Blu Ray.

How does the Lord of the Rings Trilogy look on Blu-Ray?

More importantly, when are the proper versions of the films coming out on Blu-Ray?

More importantly, when are the proper versions of the films coming out on Blu-Ray?

Touché. That'll be whenever someone rescues MGM, or their stake in the Hobbit films is purchased by someone else. Peter Jackson said he's releasing "Ultimate editions" on Blu-Ray to coincide with the release of the Hobbit, but it's probably not going to happen till 2013 now, even if Jackson does take over direction duties.

I own one Blu-Ray, Kick-Ass. I don't have a Blu-Ray player though, but it came with a DVD version and was $5 more than plain old DVD.

I'm considering getting a PS3 as a player, but can't bring myself to do it yet.