N-Europe

Mafia General Discussion Thread

ReZourceman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we sort some kind of queue for the next mafias as there seem to be a few ready to go now..

Are we sticking to one mafia on the go at any one time?

The order people have posted so far goes..

Yvonne. The Wire.

The Peeps. C & D 2.

DuD. Front Room Mafia.

Jimbob.

EEvil. DIH Mafia.

My original DIH mafia (where I looked around my room for characters) was surely higher up in the list than that?!

• 3 weeks later...

Mines all set and ready, characters are complete and roles are all written. Based on the popular T.V show Red Dwarf. Just got wiped from The Wire mafia, my own fault for lack of participating on many days. Had a lot on my mind though, so sorry about that.

Cool, I've a few suggestions for your next one based on what I remember on the last:

- having one town and one mafia roleblocker etc. may not be the best of ideas since we can use that to work stuff out. Lie detectors also can be overpowered...if you include them, I recommend gimping them.

- consider how long the game might go on and how balanced the roles are. I think last game it was worked out that that only a few townies needed to die before Mafia essentially/basically had majority

- double check people's roles before you send them and make sure to read all people's target e-mails. :p

- consider mixing it up a bit. You don't necessarily need completely vanilla roles like straight roleblockers, redirectors, etc. I like when people put their own spin on things.

- do only survivors win, or does the team? Lately I've been contemplating how this can be unfair as sometimes you might want to sacrifice yourself for the team, or because you got involved a fair bit you might have been seen as a threat and therefore murdered. Likewise with inactives or people who did next to nothing - you can decide if they win or not! You are teh power.

- don't end the day abruptly/when you want. :p

- use healthy dollops of flavour. I like Red Dwarf, I reckon you can make a good plot out of this one.

Late to the party, but saw this and likes the idea.

I have another twist on the DIY format for another future mafia.

People send me their characters, and I assign them abilities based on what slip of paper I draw outta hat/something similar.

The target of their night powers will also be drawn out of said hat/something similar and people will get PM's regarding their results. Naturally I would record myself doing this as to preserve the integrity (which may be viewed at the games end)

God I'm good.

But then this levelled some fair criticism;

I agree with Jonnas. You'd basically be randomising the whole game, mafia would end up killing mafia, people would target who they don't want to target, and would make half the point of having a night phase pointless. Doesn't sound fun to me, sorry.

And if the character's power is randomised and not based on their character, it won't really feel right in terms of the theme... you might as well not have characters and be called "Roleblocker", "Doctor" etc.

The question though...how would you see to get around it? Maybe make all the town randomised, let the mafia be co-ordinated? Give it a 50% chance randomisation to everyone(so you send your target, but have 50% chance to hit either random/swap with someone else/i dont know maybe something else?), I think shaking up the current 'standard' mafia formula is really good, and I'd be more than happy to play in any game that attempts to! Varying degrees of the above?

The question though...how would you see to get around it? Maybe make all the town randomised, let the mafia be co-ordinated? Give it a 50% chance randomisation to everyone(so you send your target, but have 50% chance to hit either random/swap with someone else/i dont know maybe something else?), I think shaking up the current 'standard' mafia formula is really good, and I'd be more than happy to play in any game that attempts to! Varying degrees of the above?

My initial idea was to let the mafia decide who was going to make the kill and their target. Whether they suceeded would be the result of the night's draw.

Or when drawing the mafia killers target if I draw another mafia member, simply ignore it. But I thought the first option would be the best.

Cool, I've a few suggestions for your next one based on what I remember on the last:

- having one town and one mafia roleblocker etc. may not be the best of ideas since we can use that to work stuff out. Lie detectors also can be overpowered...if you include them, I recommend gimping them.

- consider how long the game might go on and how balanced the roles are. I think last game it was worked out that that only a few townies needed to die before Mafia essentially/basically had majority

- double check people's roles before you send them and make sure to read all people's target e-mails. :p

- consider mixing it up a bit. You don't necessarily need completely vanilla roles like straight roleblockers, redirectors, etc. I like when people put their own spin on things.

- do only survivors win, or does the team? Lately I've been contemplating how this can be unfair as sometimes you might want to sacrifice yourself for the team, or because you got involved a fair bit you might have been seen as a threat and therefore murdered. Likewise with inactives or people who did next to nothing - you can decide if they win or not! You are teh power.

- don't end the day abruptly/when you want. :p

- use healthy dollops of flavour. I like Red Dwarf, I reckon you can make a good plot out of this one.

I'm not going to give anything away with the roles, but it's better than the "Happy Days" mafia. Last time, i tried to balance it out and it didn't work too well. This time, with the advice of many i've rectified my mistakes i believe. All will be revealed when my time comes. All i can say is, you and everyone who wishes to play are in for a good treat/game. Got a few surprises in-store.

• 2 weeks later...

My first idea is completely done all roles written and everything.. I will be looking for 14 people please.

While I've been waiting for my turn I've come up with another mafia idea which is much simpler and can contain any number of people. It's only a structure at the moment.. no theme or flavor as yet.