Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mafia General Discussion Thread

ReZourceman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely re-wrote my Isle of Apate mafia yesterday (while waiting for my train home*) so it's much more balanced. Just some filler text and it's ready.

The bad news, however, is that if it reaches my game before the 21st August it will have to be delayed until that date (I don't want to risk anything on the off chance it's a long game and has to go on hold for a week).

*I re-read my post and that part conjured up an image of a house that is also a train.

Mafia games need a shakeup, and one thing I was contemplating(not that I'm likely to run a mafia) that Danny mentioned(when i saw him for like 5 minutes irl) and a lot of new players to the game assume; is that there isn't a majority per se.

There IS a majority, but basically the majority vote is what happens at the end of the day regardless of numbers. So if no one votes that day except for person A voting for person B, person B will get lynched at the end of that day.

1>0

Mafia still win they hold an unchallengable majority, and if the players don't want to lynch that day they have to vote a majority no lynch.

Games drag too long at the moment and are too open for abuse of inactivity, I'm not sure how well this'd work, but I think it'd definitely cut back on some of that. If anything, it'd at least end a game sooner(some of the ones we have without time limits last forever!). That's the other thing, this'd obviously need rough time limited phases/explicit intervention from the GM.

The idea where everyone has to vote for someone each day phrase (no "no lynches") and the player with the most votes (no majority needed) gets lynched is also a good idea.

I'm thinking of something like this for my mafia:

- First 24 hours of day phase. It works as normal. If a standard majority is reached the lynch works as normal.

- In the second 24 hours, each person's first post must include a lynch. This can be changed to someone else later.

- Anyone not voting would be a mark of inactivity (like not sending in a PM). Obviously those unable to do so due to affect of powers won't be marked for inactivity.

Edited by Cube

Then the game may end too quick and the mafia has much greater chance of winning. It will make pressure votes obsolute and you may kiss good bye after 4-5 votes you can't rely on alll 4-5 come back _and_ remove their vote. A mafia could easily come in the day after say he was out with family or something. This is as risky as my no night phase attempt. But if you want it, you are of course free to introduce it in your game. I highly doubt it will reduce mafia inactivity much though. As soon as the town get on the wrong tracks they won't interfer of course, other than putting on a mandatory vote like Cube suggested following the lynch train.

Edited by Tales

Well I've got a few ideas for games, though not all the time/creativity to run them so it wouldn't happen for quite a while if it does.

I did wonder about the mafia storming the votes, but then that also runs the risk of easily revealing yourselves because you're all voting the same(or, possibly, increasing suspicion even more!). Sometimes I feel the tension can fall out of a game depending how people are playing, and especially when inactives are so inactive it can be hard to reach early majorities!

Of course, it is each to his own, but it's something that might be interesting to see.

I mean like all voting for the same person, they'd need to to still get the lynch. Obviously it'd need to actually be tested, but that's the thing, for them all to vote for the same person can increase the suspicions on(if had) alignment reveals. It assumes a broader activity, and also when a mafia is being voted for, can help avoid the issue of staying quiet/avoiding suspicion and hoping to avoid majority. Some people wait to hear more before voting, and the person in question just doesn't post to avoid it. I dislike it, yet I've done it myself.

A GM should be the one to end a day phase if people are being indecisive. I used to believe days should end on a majority, but the whole No Lynch element of the game is generally overlooked or underused (by both town and mafia).

A GM may be slightly unwilling to end a phase if they feel someone ought to realise that they're sitting on some decent info... but stagnation is easier to occur with large numbers of people. Some may actually have info they're withholding during the first few days - in a sense it's to build a case and to get a 'sense' of who is who. The last few phases in a game are always quick, but the first few will always be slower. Imagine playing with 50 players, or 100. Waiting to hear from everyone, or sifting through the information to see who is trustworthy and who is not, or waiting for 51 votes to be planted? Ages. We play with 20-30 players so you're going to have a slow start.

Ultimately, the pay-off between mafia getting a night-kill and town getting another night worth of information is plenty worth it. I never see why people talk for so long in teh first few day phases (however, the paranoia and suspicion presented provides for a good resource towards teh end of a game).

RE: Majority; I think a good technique could be whereby a player's default vote is no lynch, unless they actually say otherwise. Therefore the end of a dayphase time limit a majority HAS been reached (I'm sure there's a word/phrase for this.. opt-out?). One may still actually vote no lynch, but that should be to actually bring the end of the phase closer (where the phase is ended when a majority vote has been actually specified, if you follow me).

That way, you could theoretically decide to allow the player with the most votes against them to be lynched without a majority, but only if the number of people who DON'T vote is a definite minority. Mostly, this wouldn't alter current games except for the latter stages where you see, say, 5 players and votes are split.

So yeah - for me, it's the ill-use, or hesitance to use no lynch that can be addressed here.

Of course, GMs are still only human and may not be around as often as they thought when they originally planned the game (games tend to last around a month!).

Long post. Forgotten if I had anything else to say.

I've always been put off running a mafia game myself because of the insanely long queue that never seems to shorten. But now I've figured that I may as well put my name down and it will force me to actually start writing one, even if it's not going to get started for another six months.

I have a few ideas of themes. I might try a small one South Park themed mafia, but I also have some great ideas for one based off of The Wire.

Currently active Mafia Games

Bare Bones Mafia II - Taking Over Dystopia (By Dyson)

Pokémafia X : The Tournament of Champions (By ReZourceman)

The D.I.Y. Video Game Mafia (By MadDog)

Currently Signing up

X-men mafia part 2 (by Paj!)

Signing Up Soon

The Ace Attorney Mafia (By Jonnas)

Mafiawesome: Lucid Drift Mafia (By Jayseven)

Isle of Apate (By Cube)

Pokémafia 11 : Gold and Silver (By ReZourceman)

Medieval Mafia (By The Peeps)

Disney Mafia 2 (By Chairdriver)

Sci Fi/Fantasy Mafia 2 (By Esquiel)

Pokémafia Yellow (By Diageo)

Heaven and Hell Mafia (By Diageo)

The Simpsons/Family Guy Mafia (By mr-paul)

Animal Mafia (By heroicjanitor)

Advance Wars Mafia (By ReZourceman)

Rage Comic Ultimate Edition X (By Esequiel)

Fire Emblem Mafia (By Jonnas)

The Book With No Name Mafia (By The Peeps)

Shadow Mountain Mafia (By Mr-Paul and ReZourceman)

Dune Mafia (By Yvonne)

LOST Mafia (By Tales)

Scream Mafia (By Dazz)

Assassins Creed Mafia (By EEVILMURRAY)

TBC Mafia (By Zell)

Mafiawesome: Chicago Fish (By Jayseven)

Pokémafia 12 : Ruby and Sapphire (By ReZourceman)

Announced, Highly Anticipated and Unscheduled

The Gentlemen's Mafia III (By Jonnas)

Yvonne was just talking of doing a wire one :P

I'd like to be put down for another maff game too -- Mafiawesome: Chicago Fish. It's a mafia game about the mafia.

Why have I not heard of this sooner.

Or the fact Yvonne has seen The Wire.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!