N-Europe

Mafia General Discussion Thread

ReZourceman

Well it doesn't have to work that way. Its just slightly unfair that a mafia member basically has to prepare his deathbed as soon as he's targeted.

On HCR there's always discussion whether townie roleblockers are too powerful or not.

Because if they target the mafia killer, they know if they've targeted mafia regardless of whether they appear in the write-up or not. If they are in the write-up, they see themselves targeting mafia. If they aren't, they notice there's a death scene missing, and they can assume they must have hit gold.

This is why most of the time mods say that mafia kills are optional -- so the mafia can sit out a night and hopefully out a overzealous town roleblocker.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are people finding the DIY mafia? If you're not enjoying it please tell me, I'd appreciate it if you tell me why aswell :heh: unless you can't say till after the game.

Think its awesome.

Hey, ReZ, put my name there as well. I'll do mine after yours. The roles are pretty much set for the Gentlemen's Mafia. There's just one thing I'd like to ask all of you:

Would you rather have known characters in roles (like we usually do) or would you prefer me to use "blank" roles (The Detective, The Doctor, The Judge, etc.)? Either way is fine by me.

Sure thing. I'd prefer non-actual-characters personally.

Oh and regards to wanted themes ; I'd love Spider-Man, or comics, or Star Wars, or Sonic or Street Fighter would be amazing. Or Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat. OOORRRR Fighting Throw Down, someone could do it as a story driven series starring, Marvel VS Capcom VS Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat VS Tekken VS Dead or Alive.

--------

And yeah, I just didn't really realise that not everything should appear in the write up. I'll probably just keep it the way I've been doing it but with more vagueness in future. I don't explicitly say that "blah investigated blah" and because its colour based its pretty easy to false claim anyway. Also the next one is called "Trust No One"....heh he he he he mawhawhahwhaha.

But yeah, after that I'd have to see how we as a forum have evolved.

I'll say one thing though, all the mafia's on here I've enjoyed more than the ones over there. Not sure why exactly. Just seems nicer and better here. Less pissing around as well.

Currently active Mafia Games

DIY Mafia (By MadDog)

Super Smash Bros Mafia (By Diageo)

Currently Signing up

Mafiawesome : In God We Rust (By Jayseven)

Signing Up Soon

Colours Mafia (By Dannyboy-the-Dane)

Pokemafia : Trust No One (Start date projected 18th October)

Gentlemens Mafia (By Jonnas)

Edited by ReZourceman

In the Colour Mafia the characters will simply appear as their colours in the write-ups, but I have a number of things planned. A number of mafias have been too easy for the town lately IMO, so I'm ramping things a bit up. I also have some interesting powers and features in play this time around, so it should be good!

I'll see if I can't get my arse in gear and get most of it done this weekend.

My previous mafia game had everyone 'named' in the write-up, and was heavy in text because at that point the mafia games were really tricky when you didn't get an investigative role that earned you a PM each night. I dealt with this by having a shared pool of information, then nearly everyone getting some info at night. The problem here was that some people simply didn't share their info at crucial times.

I've got a couple of ideas that I'm hoping with amend the balance.

My previous mafia game had everyone 'named' in the write-up, and was heavy in text because at that point the mafia games were really tricky when you didn't get an investigative role that earned you a PM each night. I dealt with this by having a shared pool of information, then nearly everyone getting some info at night. The problem here was that some people simply didn't share their info at crucial times.

Exactly this, except my write-ups weren't as detailed or flavourful as yours.

My mafia will start, but currently experiening some really annoying internet issues (two phone-lines in the house, one died last week, came back, the other died, now both are extremely tempermental). Engineer(s) are coming round tomorrow/thursday so I'm hoping to start it on the weekend.

My mafia will start, but currently experiening some really annoying internet issues (two phone-lines in the house, one died last week, came back, the other died, now both are extremely tempermental). Engineer(s) are coming round tomorrow/thursday so I'm hoping to start it on the weekend.

Presuming one of the current mafias have ended, right?

I'm going to be away the entire weekend, so if it starts there, please don't kill me off for inactivity.

About to end

DIY Mafia (By MadDog)

About to start

Mafiawesome : In God We Rust (By Jayseven) 23rd September

Signing Up Soon

Pokemafia : Trust No One (By ReZourceman) (Start date projected 18th October)

Expressed interest

Battlestar Gallactica (By Cube)

Battlestar Gallactica (By Smeagol)

Spider-Man Volume 1 (By ReZourceman)

Right so although I think they can be edited slightly for our slightly more relaxed version of the game, I think we need to post the rules in the first post of each game as there are so many newcomers to the forum recently who may not know about the rules we usually play. I'm going to hunt out one of chair's early mafia's and copy them here, then any GM can copy them, edit them as they wish and it'll be awesome :)

Right so although I think they can be edited slightly for our slightly more relaxed version of the game, I think we need to post the rules in the first post of each game as there are so many newcomers to the forum recently who may not know about the rules we usually play. I'm going to hunt out one of chair's early mafia's and copy them here, then any GM can copy them, edit them as they wish and it'll be awesome :)

Also old timers who post when they're dead. :p

So here is the first post from the third ever mafia game, 'Mafia Game #3: Stranded in the Mushroom Kingdom' (which was awesome, by the way):

IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING IN THE GAME, PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

ALL PLAYERS MUST READ!

Things to remember:

1) A full writeup of the rules can be found here.

2) When you vote to lynch, please do so by saying Vote: [Player] in bold. If you wish to change your vote, please say Change Vote: [Player] instead. Voting "Nobody" is a valid vote; if a majority votes for 'nobody' then nobody will be lynched and we'll move on to the Night phase.

3) If your role says you may use your power, you don't have to do anything at night if you so choose. Even so, it'll speed things along quite a bit if you'd still just send me a PM saying "Not using my [whatever] power tonight, thanks."

4) If your role says you must use your power, and you don't PM me, I'll randomly pick what you do. Or, perhaps, not-so-randomly. Don't blame me if you end up dead because you targeted the wrong person.

5) You may NOT send a PM to anyone about this game unless your role explicitly says you can. This is cheating. Nor can you discuss this game in any other thread than this.

6) Do NOT edit your posts in this thread. This is cheating.

7) Please do not copy-and-paste anything from any PM I send you to the thread. This is also cheating.

8) Please do not post in this thread after you are killed. This, too, is cheating and can ruin the game if done wrong. Dead men tell no tales. Also, do not discuss anything with other any other players (alive or dead) if you are dead. In situations like this, death is not always the end.

9) Please do not post pictures in this thread, it will get very tedious if it's clogged up with crap.

10) Remember, it's just a game. You will get paranoid, you will be stabbed in the back by someone, you will see somebody do or say something stupid and want to smack them. Just breathe deep and relax. If things get out of hand, we do have a mod playing who will forcibly remind you to chill out if needed. It hasn't happened yet, and we'd all like to keep it that way.

11) Have fun!

I advise this is copied and edited to the GM's liking so that everyone knows the rules going in :) Also it gives the URL for the mafiascum wiki page which will help people learn the game. Make sure you update the URL if you copy and paste this into your thread so that it isn't a dead link!

Also old timers who post when they're dead. :p

If not MOSTLY for these people. Whoever they are :p

So am I right in thinking that what people are saying on here are that writeups in normal(or at least ones not done on here) mafia games are much less detailed that the ones people have run on here? I've never played in a mafia not in an N-E setting.

So am I right in thinking that what people are saying on here are that writeups in normal(or at least ones not done on here) mafia games are much less detailed that the ones people have run on here? I've never played in a mafia not in an N-E setting.

Yeah pretty much. After I ran my Pokemafia on the other forum they basically said the rule of thumb for the write up is "Only really concentrate on the kill and actions pertaining to the kill" so folk tracking each other and stuff wouldn't really be touched upon.

Definitely an interesting way to do it. I'd really have to see how it plays out on these forums however.

In older days, write-ups were more cryptic.

Here's a write-up I made in the older days. You may notice that the only people who appear are those that targeted the dead.

EDIT: ReZ, by all means, read the rest of that thread. There was also a townie with the power to describe one of the other players in the write-up (with a twist: the description would always be exaggerated to make the character sound suspicious)

Edited by Jonnas

Five new ones to get through Dawg, unless Smeagol or Cube wanna go before you.

About to end

DIY Mafia (By MadDog)

About to start

Mafiawesome : In God We Rust (By Jayseven) 23rd September

Signing Up Soon

Pokemafia : Trust No One (By ReZourceman) (Start date projected 18th October)

Expressed interest

Star Wars Mafia (By MadDog)

Battlestar Gallactica (By Cube)

Battlestar Gallactica (By Smeagol)

Spider-Man Volume 1 (By ReZourceman)

Hmm, I have most of the roles I'd like to use written up (which aren't super crazy by the way, for my potentially first game I only want to have some minor variations). But I'm not sure about a certain mechanic I want to have in it yet. That said, if I want to (and you want me to) go through with this, I guess I don't have many actual preparations left to do, except for getting some more experience of course, in playing the 4 other Mafia's on the stack.

It would perhaps be fun though, if Cube and I both do the Battlestar Galactica theme simultaneously.

I like the sound of a star wars mafia

I don't know anything about battlestar galactica... will that matter if I want to play?

Also 2 mafias with the same theme probably isn't such a good idea. Once you're a few days in people might forget what happened in which mafia in the earlier days.