NEurope
Jimbob

Space and the Universe

It was like a laugh/amazing.
That's the one!

1) a collision between two stars would occur approximately once every 3 x 10^17 years, or 3 x 10^7 times the age of the universe.

2) When (or if) Andromeda and the Milky Way collide, there is good chance that the solar system will be swept further from the galaxy core, or even out of the the galaxy all together. This would have no adverse effect on the solar system itself.

3)This shouldn't matter anyway, because in a billion years time the Sun will have warmed up enough to destroy all life on Earth, and Andromeda is set to collide with the Milky Way in about 4 billion years time.

OK so...

1) I have no idea what this means!

Your still saying sun collisions will take place, and what about all the planets/moons/meteorite of which there are far more of?

2) Yeah he did explain about suns/galaxies gettings thrown out the system.

3) Yeah I did kinda say I expected this would be the case.

Your still saying sun collisions will take place, and what about all the planets/moons/meteorite of which there are far more of?

Because the space between each body is (incomprehensibly) massive. Two of them colliding would be (relatively) rare.

That's the one!

OK so...

Planets would still be bound by the gravity of their star.

OK, but it wasn't just sun I was talking about, it was collisions between all objects up there... and the fact that any collisions are going to result in even more debris being flung about. I would have thought this knock-on would have had some effect.

EDIT, yes but I assumed there would be overlap and changing of orbits, but I guess everythings happening too slowly and within too much space then.

Because the space between each body is (incomprehensibly) massive. Two of them colliding would be (relatively) rare.

Planets would still be bound by the gravity of their star.

Pretty much this!

I smell Dunning-Kruger effect - the idea that most other people know what you do. It's the same reason I get bemused when people don't know the capital of, say, Turkey or Ukraine.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm a terrible offender (I hope not, at least), especially since I actually really dislike it when people do it. It often comes with a heavy vibe of arrogance. That being said, it was most likely the case in this ... case.

I loved the Hubble image that peered into the farthest reaches of space and captured the most distant objects bathed in red light. Spooky!

Edited by Retro_Link

... No mention of it on news 24 - a google search produced this article/clip from 3 days ago.

NASA to announce manned trip to mars in 2012? My money is on it!

NASA to announce manned trip to mars in 2012? My money is on it!

I expect NASA's funding will be one of the first things to go when the Americans realize that they actually have to cut spending to decrease their deficit. So I wouldn't really count on it.

So a Meteor Shower started the other day... and continues for about another week I think... though getting less and less all the time.

I think I saw one last night, though I can't be 100% as I stuck around for a couple of minutes afterwards, watching the same area of sky and didn't see another.

But when there aren't clouds (which there are plenty of atm), it'll be well worth watching the skies.

And from twitter...

@Astro_Ron

Ron Garan August 14, 2011

What a "Shooting Star" looks like #FromSpace Taken yesterday during Perseids Meteor Shower Thanks @JakeGaran 4 camera settings

meteork.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah it's the Perseids meteor shower we're going through again. I think the peak was on August 11 and 12, but you couldn't see anything here because of the bright moon and the clouds heh.

Not sure there's still many to spot now, but it's always worth a try.

^ I read about that the other week - Bjork posted it on Fbook (lel). Kinda cool.

I wish discovery of planets were more of a *thing*. As in, people cared. :/

"Theoretical physicists in Great Britain are now conducting tests for the very first time to find evidence of multiple alternative universes, otherwise known as a multiverse --

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/309875 "

Oh god, I love the idea of an "anti-universe," reminds me of Time's Arrow, a Martin Amis book about a WW2 German vet in America living in reverse chronology.

Interesting, read this earlier. Long way off yet, doubt we would see anything like this in our life-times.