N-Europe

Film Club :: Current Film = Primer

Daft

Yeah, I'm thinking Primer was not a great choice. Sounded ace, though. I'm going to watch it again. Actually try and concentrate this time.

Agreed! I started watching this with my girlfriend earlier. Needless to say, about 25 minutes in and we couldn't watch anymore. It was actually a chore to listen to what they were saying and we derived no enjoyment from what we saw. It's such a terrible direction to take; explaining little and having groups of people ranting jibberish back and forth.

It does actually get more interesting after the beginning. Although I just didn't get it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed! I started watching this with my girlfriend earlier. Needless to say, about 25 minutes in and we couldn't watch anymore. It was actually a chore to listen to what they were saying and we derived no enjoyment from what we saw. It's such a terrible direction to take; explaining little and having groups of people ranting jibberish back and forth.

5 minutes and was thinking 'shit murmery dialogue, it'll probably improve'.

15 minutes in I was thinking 'shit, it's gonna be like this the whole film? Surely not! I haven't understood anything since it started'

30 mins in, thinking 'shit, what am I doing? I can't stop watching this drivel now. That was a bad move 15 minutes ago - thinking I should carry on and hope to understand what the fuck is going on. I think what's happened is that I needed to know what's been going on in every single minute, including the first 5, otherwise I have no chance of grasping it all. Ah well, may as watch the whole thing'

At the end 'shit, I gained nothing by staying with it'.

----------------

I totally understand what you meant with the 'couldn't watch it'. I was in sheer boredom and it took roughly 7,500 acres of effort to just keep with it.

And yet you have the ability to pull yourself up for another viewing Daft?! Wtf is wrong with youuu!?!?!

Jesus Christ N-E, don't waste your time with it. Sorry, watch week 2 film now or summut, or just shout at an OAP or something more productive. Argh.

"Man are you hungry? I haven't eaten since later this afternoon"

Well that was pretty awesome. Managed to follow most of it until about an hour in, then it all moved a bit fast and I got lost a little. But I think I got the gist of it.

Reminds me alot of Donnie Darko. Definately needs 2-3 watches at least to fully understand.

8/10

You'll probably have to help me with Primer. I saw it yesterday and...well, I need to see it again.

I've seen it about four times. The first time I watched it with a physics and maths buff, and between us we used to watch confusing/mind-fuck movies and have the most joyful of discussions/debates afterwards.

Primer was written, iirc, by physics PhD students so the logic behind it, while confusing, is not erronerous. I agree that the audio is a bit poor (from what I remember), and there was a lack of subs *for an obvious reason* which didn't help.

It's not a film to watch with a girlfriend, and not necessarily by yourself either. Probably best to watch stoned and/or with a physics buff :P

Totally in this et cetera...

If people can get their hands on La Haine (The Hatred) or for something more accessible and more English speaking: The Bad Lieutenant: Port Call New Orleans.

La Haine! I only watched this a couple of months ago. Great movie!

Meh, I'd rather watch something good, not 'interesting because it's old'.

Well just because it's old definitely doesn't mean that it's not good. I definitely enjoyed this film, and actually found a few parts of the movie genuinely scary despite it being made in the 60's.

Psycho is worth watching even just to see the end of the movie which is just whack.

Well just because it's old definitely doesn't mean that it's not good. I definitely enjoyed this film, and actually found a few parts of the movie genuinely scary despite it being made in the 60's.

Psycho is worth watching even just to see the end of the movie which is just whack.

I'd prefer it were The Shining, which is actually good.

I've seen it, I just thought it was a bit pants and I'd rather spend an hour and a half watching something that's what I'd call good viewing, something I'd watch today and respect. Not something that's interesting viewing due to its age.

Oh, well OK. I guess ye are entitled to that opinion. Even if ye are wrong :P

I thought it was a pretty decent film even in today's times of special effects and explosions etc. I also was shocked by the ending and feel that it has a story that is just as relevant today as it was back then.

Mustn't be everyone's cup of tea, then.

I'm being very blunt, it isn't actually a bad suggestion, a bit of variety is a good idea. Plus there'd be a lot of discussion about it I guess.

The music in the 'action' parts is actually quite frightening.

I still wouldn't want to watch it on my own in a dark room, heh.

Psycho is an alright watch, but its significant lies more in when it was released and how it was different from everything else from that time.

I would rather suggest watching Rear Window when it comes to Hitchcock.

Mostly because its the only other Hitchcock I have seen.

Watched Primer.

At first I was like "I hate this because I don't understand or like Physics or maths".

But then I got to the main point.

I got lost at the very end.

I get vaguely that there were two Aaron's (is that his name? The David Tennant wannabe) in the same time or something...what was that thing with Thomas Granger? Why was he there, then randomly in a coma in the backyard? What was the whole Shotgun thing, other than a plan to stop a shooting? But didn't their friend's recounting of the story suggest no one died anyway?

While it was interesting and unconventionally directed, it just could've done with more explanation of things.

oh jesus I remember that movie haha.

You need a science degree to understand this one.

No it's not a very good movie to be fair, You could argue it's intended for certain people and it IS more believable and whatever but there are annoying things about the film itself.

It could at least TRY to simplify it for it's audience because its a good idea.The characters speak so fast and any film that recommends you turn on the subtitles ISN'T doing something right.

I don't know how to rate this stuff but it's a NO from me

It's hard to do something like this with a budget of just 7000 dollars, but they could have at least cut it better and made each scene more defined. Plus not knowing about the narrator means it is hard to follow unless you rewatch it.

Oh, if we are still suggesting movies then I would 100% recommend the movie "What's love got to do with it?"

I won't spoil anything but it's the movie about Tina Turner and her relationship with Ike Turner. Absolutely amazing film, with great acting and brilliant music to back it all up.

Definitely one of my favorite movies.

I'll happily watch The Fountain etc, but seriously, The Midnight Express is fantastic, and I wouldn't say many have heard about/seen it.

It's a fairly old film, but it has aged tremendously well and is really gripping, in some cases avery haunting. Plus it's very watchable because it's a film about escape and life changes, similar to that of Shawshank, except a lot different. Really deserved of being on the list.

I won't press for anyone to watch a film in the 'club' anymore, my suggestions will be just that - suggestions.

I just got round to watching Primer.

From impressions here I thought it was going to be a bit dull but I felt the film was quite quick and I enjoyed all the talking and found it all very interesting. I obviously didn't understand all that was going on it but i liked how quietly fascinating it all was and how the terms were not dumbed down for the audience.

I liked the concept and how the accidentally stumbled upon it like actual science but the overall execution of the time travel wasn't that great. Like they did all the obvious things.

At times it felt it was being confusing for the sake of being confusing what with the quietness of the whole thing I had to stick in my headphones to get what they were saying since my latop isn't loud enough. :)