N-Europe

Mercury Music Prize 2010

Paj!

Here it is! The nominees for the only music prize in the UK worth paying any attention to;

Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

I Am Kloot - Sky At Night

Dizzee Rascal - Tongue N' Cheek

Paul Weller - Wake Up The Nation

Corrine Bailey Rae - The Sea

The Xx - XX

Vilagers - Becoming A Jackal

Kit Downes Trio - Golden

Foals - Total Life Forever

Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can

Wild Beasts - Two Dancers

Mumford & Sons - Sign No More

SO glad Laura Marling got her second nominations in as many albums. :) It's 10x better than her outstanding debut, and obviously my choice to win, but some great others in there like the Xx and Foals. Mumford and Sons rub me the wrong way, despite being Laura Marling's famous best friends/partners in indian-influenced music crime. Wild Beasts I liked, and Dizzee Rascal is nothing to me. I never really got Biffy Clyro. They're fine, but it always sounded like less than you expected, considering if you dare say a negative thing about them in polite company, you're stoned.

I plan to give all the albums a listen.

Only Revolutions is a great album. Perhaps only one track on there that I don't care for and will skip in a playthrough, which to me is a good album. Dizzee Rascal's Tongue in Cheek is very meh, don't expect that to do too well. The XX wouldn't surprise me if they won, definitely a sleeper hit and quite popular among the right people. Hope Foals don't even come close to winning as Total Life Forever is complete bum compared to their debut album. Wild Beasts would be a welcome victor here too, another great album. Mumford and Sons need some refining imo. This album doesn't quite cut it but they're not far off.

Don't care for the rest of them. I'm sure there's some great stuff there but I've not come across much of it. The lack of Two Door Cinema Club or Frank Turner (Poetry Of The Deed ftw) is disappointing.

Wouldn't mind any from The XX, Laura Marling, Foals or Mumford to win. Although I love Weller the new album is not all that.

I was at Latitude festival last weekend and was lucky enough to see The XX, Laura Marling and Mumford. All were superb. The XX sound is truely amazing live.

Listening to Only Revolutions now, it's entertaining. I kinda hate affected american male accents, and the lead singer's becomes that slightly due to a scottish lilt, though only annoyingly on a few tracks. I like how loud and melodramatic it all is. The soundtrack to an airship falling slowly from the sky, in flames.

Not listened to most, as it usually goes. Mumfords I have. The xx I have but always forget it. Bit of Foales the other day. Dizzee I have, although not his best album... and that's it.

To Spotify!...when I have time.

Edited by Ashley

How the HELL has dizzie got nominated?!

I can understand why Boy In Da Corner won it a few years back, that album is so raw and full of quality, but this has got to be a joke, it's like the biggest sellout album I think I've ever heard (as much as I love Holiday..).

Only Revolutions and Sign No More are 100x more deserving.

It seems to be "Obscure winner this year, "mainstream" winner the next, obscure, "mainstream" etc etc. Speech Debelle won out of nowhere last year (I'd never heard of her and I'm fairly on the pulse, in the sense that I usually at least hear about people.

So I predict Xx will win too.

• 1 month later...

The XX won it!

Lots of good competition, but they were one of the best, and most obvious to win.

I would have been a bit "..." if Mumford had won, since they're like a Poundstretcher version of Laura Marling most of the time (wth flashes of greatness). XX were my second faves to win though, so I'm happy. I liked Wild Beasts too.

I like the XX's album... but, honestly, the intro is my favourite track. I still love a lot of their stuff; it already has itself engraved in memories for me... but it was never that good. Never classic.

Mind you, out of its competitors, I've heard the mumford album a few times in my old house. I think the mumford album demanded more attention than XX did, and I think it was more cohesive. XX feels very lazy and doesn't really present anything new, or any real promise.

But yay and stuff.