NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

Well it isn't a fan theory, it's how it went and what they said happened :heh:

Until I read it in an interview i'll take all that with a pinch of "fan theory" lol.

From Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream:

–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

Full translated interview can be found here.

Well it isn't a fan theory, it's how it went and what they said happened :heh:

I said until I read it with my own eyes, so no need to get sarcastic with your smiley bud. A random users word does not mean anything to me, so you saying "that is how it went" doesn't prove anything.

Thanfully a fellow use has linked me to the article, and upon reading that, it sounds exactly like the way I put it

"It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be."

He didn't do anything else, they decided to off him because of what they knew and what he could do.

I said until I read it with my own eyes, so no need to get sarcastic with your smiley bud. A random users word does not mean anything to me, so you saying "that is how it went" doesn't prove anything.

Thanfully a fellow use has linked me to the article, and upon reading that, it sounds exactly like the way I put it

"It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be."

He didn't do anything else, they decided to off him because of what they knew and what he could do.

Oh, you don't need to worry, it wasn't sarcasm. It was the same as your 'lol' stuck on to the end of your post. However, I did say Aonuma had said it in a previous post, so it wasn't my just my word or fanfic. This has been dubbed "A cleaner translation of the Aonuma interview". Whether it's 100% translation or not i'm not sure, but it has been called cleaner.

–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there’s a scene showing Ganon’s execution. Link and Zelda left him be and he then did something outrageous, so it was decided that he should be executed. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

I'm up for Zelda debates as the next guy, but I don't want to be the only one pulling up interviews/statements to prove a point, but that's me personally.

And again, if Ganon didn't do anything and got accused, he would've been arrested first time around, not for Link just to tell Zelda "He's evil!!!", and Zelda to re-say again to the King, Ganny here is bad.

Edited by ShadowV7

Where is this "cleaner" source from as it differs from the "The Hylia" one ever so slightly, and changes the context of the key area we are discussing.

Cool. if this is a superior translation then I accept it. I just hate the ambiguity surrounding it now, just explaining it as "something outrageous" really is a let down.

Yep, i'd certainly agree with you there and a faithful translation would be handy. As for what could be 'outrageous', I found this.

Ancient Sages: His name is... Ganondorf. He was the leader of a band of thieves who invaded Hyrule in the hopes of establishing dominion over the Sacred Realm. He was known as a demon thief, an evil-magic wielder renowned for his ruthlessness... But he was blind... In all of his fury and might, he was blind to any danger, and thus was he exposed, subdued, and brought to justice.

So being a direct quote from a Twilight Princess sage, perhaps it could be this?

So, I'm wearing the Hover Boots, I take out my Bow, fire arrows at him etc. Then he bangs the drum and I bounce. What? I'm wearing the Hover Boots, aren't I...? Well no, I'm not, because using the Bow unequips them! I still managed to do it without a fairy, but I think this is something of a problem in this remake.

Just tested this because I don't think this happened to me, but the Hover Boots stayed equipped after using the bow. This would happen with the Iron Boots as well but it doesn't so I'm not sure what was going on there.

Just tested this because I don't think this happened to me, but the Hover Boots stayed equipped after using the bow. This would happen with the Iron Boots as well but it doesn't so I'm not sure what was going on there.

If you can use the hookshot underwater and maintain the iron boots, the logic applies to other stuff with the hover boots.

I already threw out the split timeline theory back in the Twilight Princess thread when irritants like Motion were still around. What I said was basically the same as the quoted above. Nice to know I was thinking along the right (time)lines.

I already threw out the split timeline theory back in the Twilight Princess thread when irritants like Motion were still around. What I said was basically the same as the quoted above. Nice to know I was thinking along the right (time)lines.

Wait you don't agree with the split timeline theory? The one that's been confirmed by Nintendo? :hmm:

The only games that are easy to place in the split timeline are OOT, MM, WW, TP, PH and ST. They all fit together very well. Minish Cap can probably come before OOT as well. The earlier games are the problem, back when Nintendo didn't care or plan for a timeline.

This is why I normally treat games like these as seperate entities, unless it's blatently obvious it's a follow on [Ocarina > Majora]

There's no link between them all, they're just using some of the same names and shit.

Kinda like what I do with movies based on games/comics. If you stop comparing them to the source material they don't seem half as bad.

There's no link between them all, they're just using some of the same names and shit.

There are plenty of links between every game from Ocarina of Time onwards, and those links were clearly well planned by Nintendo. The games fit together perfectly, you just refuse to see it.

There are plenty of links between every game from Ocarina of Time onwards, and those links were clearly well planned by Nintendo. The games fit together perfectly, you just refuse to see it.

I'm not saying that there isn't. I'm just saying when it comes to all this timeline dispute I can't be bothered with it.

Almost like the Final Fantasy games, except not to such an extreme.

I'm not saying that there isn't.

Ah ok. I must have misread:

Fair enough don't pay any attention to it, but there most certainly is one for the more recent games since OOT and it's not that tough to understand.

Ah ok. I must have misread:

That's what I say to myself when these disputes arise, because even if there is part of "confirmed timeline" people will still speculate this and that.

Fair enough don't pay any attention to it, but there most certainly is one for the more recent games since OOT and it's not that tough to understand.

It's not tough to understand, but the games are set 100 years before/after each other, it's tough to actually care that much.

It's not tough to understand

You seemed to have trouble on the previous page.

but the games are set 100 years before/after each other, it's tough to actually care that much.

You cared enough to suggest there'd be seven years of pain for Hyrule after Link went back to being a child. Events from Twilight Princess (sages banishing Ganondorf to the twilight realm) shows what happened after Link went back to being a child and warning the Zelda and the King.

You cared enough to suggest there'd be seven years of pain for Hyrule after Link went back to being a child. Events from Twilight Princess (sages banishing Ganondorf to the twilight realm) shows what happened after Link went back to being a child and warning the Zelda and the King.

Because completing the game again got me thinking.

Wait you don't agree with the split timeline theory? The one that's been confirmed by Nintendo? :hmm:

Sorry, poor phrasing on my part. Threw it out as in literally threw the theory out for everyone to read as part of the ongoing discussion. Of course back then there was no confirmation interviews to refer to, so it was purely speculation.

The only timeline that exists for the Zelda series incorporates the recent games. Ocarina's split timeline onward. Looking for links between the early and current games is a waste of time.

Edited by Guy

Sorry, poor phrasing on my part. Threw it out as in literally threw the theory out for everyone to read as part of the ongoing discussion. Of course back then there was no confirmation interviews to refer to, so it was purely speculation.

The only timeline that exists for the Zelda series incorporates the recent games. Ocarina's split timeline onward. Looking for links between the early and current games is a waste of time.

Ahh fair enough. Totally agree then.

Miyamoto confirmed there is a written down timeline involving all the games

Skyward sword takes place early in the chronology

I generally agree with most of the theories

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

apart from some of them like the alternate position of LA

the problem is they don't have planned out new games in this and as new games are added parts are retconned often confusing the tales

the simple solution is to remake ALttP, LOZ, LA, and the Oracles using a 3D Zelda Engine (OoT, TP/SS engines) :grin: