N-Europe

MGS: Snake Eater 3D (£9.95 @Zavvi)

Retro_Link

Glad to see you enjoyed it. I shed manly tears when...

Eva was telling the story of The Boss and how she gave up her life for her country, even though she would be remembered as a traitor. The scene where Snake is at the graveyard and salutes is such an iconic moment. Truly inspiring.

I give a salute to one of the greatest games of all time.

Did you enjoy Ocelot in the game? He so different in this one compared to the other games, but I still love his character and the little hand sign he does.

645AE4D2-D216-11DB-88FA-F4A7242849F0.jpg

It's such a shame you haven't got a PS3 to experience the whole series.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's obviously a great game to be had in Snake Eater but any time I have tried to delve into the PS2 version, I can just never get motivated to play through the opening section :hmm:

Is that small part of the game really as lacking in enjoyment as I think it is or does it all transform into something much more impressive as you progress? Metal Gear Solid is one of my favourite games of all time and I feel that that fact alone should be incentive enough to entice me into Snake Eater..

There's obviously a great game to be had in Snake Eater but any time I have tried to delve into the PS2 version, I can just never get motivated to play through the opening section :hmm:

Seriously... get past the opening section, the game gets so much better in such a short space of time and before you know it, you won't stop until you're at the very end, saluting the best entry in the series which will truly never be bettered by any future sequels. : peace:

Did you enjoy Ocelot in the game? He so different in this one compared to the other games, but I still love his character and the little hand sign he does.
Yeah, a great character. Genuinely annoying too, they absolutely nailed the cocky attitude. :hehe:

On my second playthrough...

I stabbed him while he was unconscious near the beginning of the game, but it created a time paradox.

:heh:

Finished my second game yesterday as well, I took a different approach on the final section with Eva, which led to a very funny situation...

On my first game, the section after the bike crash was a right nightmare! She was moving so slowly, and I had to keep feeding her like every 5 seconds! :shakehead

So this time I shot her with a tranquilliser round, and just dragged her to the location. :heh: And that's where the comedy started...

mgslol.jpg

Hilarious! :D

The Fido one crosses the line though surely? :laughing:

That Hideo Kojima (he worked on this game, in case you didn't know :heh:) is a messed up fellow. :woops:

It's such a shame you haven't got a PS3 to experience the whole series.
Well I've played the best of the lot now anyway. ;)

And perhaps Konami will make a HD collection for WiiU too.

By the way, @nando, you should definitely play this game through to the end, there's some fantastic stuff in there.

And after watching footage of the PS2 version, I'd also say that you should just play it on that, as it runs a lot smoother than the 3DS port. :o

Quite how the developers managed to get it running worse on more powerful hardware is a complete and utter mystery, but there you go. ::shrug:

Edited by RedShell

Yeh, @RedShell.. I've kinda made up my mind to play it on the PS2 on the bigger screen with "surround sound" instead of investing in the 3DS version (certainly until it comes down to a very low price :heh:)

Strangely, I go into it almost knowing that I won't like it as much as the original Metal Gear Solid but it would be brilliant to be proved wrong. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it kicks off :grin:

Currently doing a no kills / no alerts playthrough on this... It's actually terrifying. :heh:

I get so nervous that I'm going to be spotted by the enemy. :shakehead

It's fine in the Jungle areas, but now that I'm up to the later stages of the game, which is crawling with guards, booby traps, spotlights, dogs, etc... It's really messing with my head.

I just want to run around with a machine gun like Rambo damnit! :laughing:

I'll tell you what's more worrying than all of that though...

The fact that this thread is soooooooo dead! :o

If the activity on here is anything to go by, then this version of the game has bombed. And that's a huge shame, as it's such an awesome game. ::shrug:

If the activity on here is anything to go by, then this version of the game has bombed. And that's a huge shame, as it's such an awesome game. ::shrug:

I see what you mean, not many people have this version or they don't need it because they have/played the original/HD collection.

Anyway IMO, this version was awesome, but this game NEEDS to be played on a TV.

I've been pretty quiet only due to the fact that the only game I've played since the launch of MGS 3D is MGS 3D! (and a spot of revelations)

Currently doing a no kills / no alerts playthrough on this... It's actually terrifying. :heh:

I get so nervous that I'm going to be spotted by the enemy. :shakehead

It's fine in the Jungle areas, but now that I'm up to the later stages of the game, which is crawling with guards, booby traps, spotlights, dogs, etc... It's really messing with my head.

I just want to run around with a machine gun like Rambo damnit! :laughing:

I'll tell you what's more worrying than all of that though...

The fact that this thread is soooooooo dead! :o

Are you doing it of your own accord, or are you playing on the extreme difficulty where it game overs on alert?

Are you doing it of your own accord, or are you playing on the extreme difficulty where it game overs on alert?
Just on Normal difficulty. I'm guessing the boss fights must be brutal on Extreme, which would be too annoying seeing as I'm only using the tranquilliser gun. ;)

Will probably try Extreme one day though... for a laugh. :heh:

Having never played MGS3 for more than 5 minutes, but loving MGS 1 and 2, I picked this up off ebay for £24 even though the demo didn't impress me due to the controls and I turned off after a few minutes.

Put 4 hours in to it so far last night and this morning, and it's awesome. Looks and soudns great, camera controls took a short period of getting used to, but throughly enjoying it so far, the plot is awesome.

I successfully completed my no kills/ no alert mission the other day. :yay:

It was really tough, especially towards the end. But certainly worth it, because of the absolutely awesome reward you get...

The Stealth Camouflage!!

:heh: :awesome:

Major Predator vibes off that one, so damn cool. And a lot of fun to use, especially in combination with the Spirit Camo. ;)

Although using that completely ruins the game. :D But you need to have played through properly to unlock it anyway, so it's all good. Adds a little more re-play value too. :)

WOW! what difficulty was this on, I mean that must really be hard, cos there are times where I am trying my best, going slow + optimum camo (depending on environment) + NVG + Thermo Goggles and yet I was caught off-guard by a FRIGGIN' SCIENTIST! lol their senses are far greater than most sentries and the dogs too! :o

WOW! what difficulty was this on, I mean that must really be hard, cos there are times where I am trying my best, going slow + optimum camo (depending on environment) + NVG + Thermo Goggles and yet I was caught off-guard by a FRIGGIN' SCIENTIST! lol their senses are far greater than most sentries and the dogs too! :o
On Normal difficulty.

You're so right about the scientists. :laughing: They were really bloody annoying...

And I like how they're also able to see through the disguise with ease.

:heh:

That section of the game was probably the most tricky to "no alert" just because of them.

Your continued enjoyment of this is practically forcing me to put Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2 at the top of my priority list, @RedShell.. though I want to carry on with my progress in GTA III, something I've only recently returned to :heh:
Well, you've already waited for what, 8 years? A little bit longer isn't going to hurt. :heh:

Just be glad that you've got a great game in your collection to look forward to finally playing. :)

I really can't decide whether I should get the 3DS or PS3 version!

(I keep forgetting I have a PS3 because I haven't had the chance to play it yet because of Uni, and it suddenly dawned on me the other day I could get the PS3 HD remake).

I'm not interested in MGS2/PSP MGS, so it's really just a decision on this game.

I'm guessing the PS3 HD version is unlikely to fall in price, where as this one probably will, so the 3DS version it has that in it's favour. Plus for some reason I like the idea of playing it on the 3DS...

But I don't know if playing it on a big screen is the way to go?

Well, you've already waited for what, 8 years? A little bit longer isn't going to hurt. :heh:

Just be glad that you've got a great game in your collection to look forward to finally playing. :)

I bought Snake Eater and Sons of Liberty around the same time when I was starting to build my PS2 collection after buying the console (probably around 2009 ::shrug:)

MGS 2 was cleared back in 2010 so I'm perfectly ready to jump into MGS 3 when I feel the time is right but there are plenty of games staring at me from that particular console to get to. ICO, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Onimusha 2 & 3, God of War 1 & 2, Devil May Cry 2 & 3 and Odin Sphere all await whilst others, such as Shinobi and Grandia II, will probably never be touched and therefore can be moved on (if there are any takers :heh:)

I've certainly bumped Snake Eater to the top of that list now, though..

I think that this game should be played on the TV, having the 3DS version is fantastic, but there are a few times where it is quite difficult to make out an enemy soldier in the distance, especially in the thick jungles.

I would have said your getting 3 games for the price of 1, but your in the same boat as me, I'm not interested in playing the others as they're not as interesting & I've already played them before (but who knows, maybe one day if you get the HD collection you might play the others).

but I would prefer to play this on a TV.

BTW do you have a CPP?

Also I do expect the price of the HD collection to fall soon, at the moment the cheapest price is £27.92 from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-HD-Collection/dp/B0058H1YOG

Edited by -Dem0-

@Retro_Link, if you don't mind the controls/camera and flaky framerate of the 3DS version, you should definitely enjoy playing Snake Eater on the 3DS. But if either of those issues are too much for you to overlook, then just get one of the home console versions.

Either way you'll be experiencing a great game, it's win-win. :)

I bought Snake Eater and Sons of Liberty around the same time when I was starting to build my PS2 collection after buying the console (probably around 2009 ::shrug:)
Oh I see. I just assumed that you'd done a @darksnowman™ and had the game sitting in your collection for years, begging to be released from its cellophane prison. :heh:

In all honesty, higher resolution trumps everything for me. I'm not saying I'll never buy this on 3DS (I might, because I don't have a PS3 yet), but if I wanted it and I had the options, I'd go for the highest-res version.

• 2 weeks later...
..before you know it, you won't stop until you're at the very end, saluting the best entry in the series which will truly never be bettered by any future sequels. : peace:

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Snake Eater had moved up in my list of gaming priorities.. and with GTA III cleared, the time has come :hehe:

I've put nearly 6 hours into the PS2 version of the game so far and while it is good, I'm definitely not finding it as special as the original Metal Gear Solid.. yet :heh:

If the game keeps improving, as you say @S\.C\.G, then I'm in for a treat but it'll definitely have to pull out all the stops now if I'm to start saluting it as the best entry in the series..