N-Europe

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Retro_Link

Hmm, a very interesting point. Has anyone noticed how many series are seeming at home on the 3DS now we have a handheld roughly as good as the GameCube? There's this and Animal Crossing, just to name two.

Can't wait for this, by the way. A must-buy!

Luigi's Mansion as well!

tumblr_m9xzvaikMa1rw70wfo1_500.png

Re: The MCM thing, I think I'm almost certainly going to go if I can convince my friend from work, and possibly my other friend too, to go. So if that happens(I'll post in general or something anyway) and other folks are going it could be a minimeetup!

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luigi's Mansion was always meant for the Wiimote.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario Tennis Open and Kid Icarus: Uprising would all have made much more sense on the Wii given the controller ::shrug:

Heck, with all of the 2D platformers the Wii got over its lifetime, it irks a little that they never developed a new Yoshi's Island for Wii where you use to pointer to determine the direction you fire your eggs. It's almost like they choose the wrong platform for their games on purpose :indeed:

Alright, I'll come clean.

I had the change to play this at a gaming event a while back, and, because I took part in a Mario Kart 7 competition, I was allowed entry to it before the masses.

I could've easily played this game many times without too many people around, but I didn't even so much as glimpse at it, because I am dead sure of buying this at launchday.

Instead, I had a lovely day with WiiU games :D

I'd have done the same.

And me. Paper Mario is a known quantity (not that I'm ungrateful for the previews of it) and I'm definitely going to buy it, so if I tried the demo all I'd be doing is seeing some of the story that I'm definitely going to play through anyway.

Well, I say that... I was never even tempted to buy Super Paper Mario!

• 3 weeks later...
The removal of the companions in this game makes me a sad Guy Hodge. Please tell me I'm misinformed. I love the companions in the earlier games.

I felt like this for a while, and too thought it could be misinformation, but after a while I think the idea of the new questing/level up system outside of battles made me happy to know we might get to see a much wider range of characters with, well, with character really.

That was an excellent review, I thought.

I'm a little bit sceptical about the changes they've made to the formula. Whilst I'm not going to pre-judge the sticker system in general, the "Thing Stickers" sound very out-of-place. Furthermore, I think the lack of companions and levelling-up will be sorely felt. In other words, I think they should have stuck to the traditional, RPG formula Paper Mario had in Thousand Year Door.

On the other hand, none of this will change whether I buy the game or not. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I actually prefer the N64 original over TYD (which I still enjoyed tremendously of course). It just has that *Classic* Nintendo feel and charm in spades, not to mention much more memorable music! What I played of this seemed to suggest it had gone back to that vibe and I remember BitBlock Josh saying he thought so too after completing it.

Regarding the "thing" stickers: this game seems to have a real self-aware 'meta' dimension to its sense of humour, especially playing around with trompe l'oeil effects, enhanced of course by the extra tangibility and 'mini-world' effect of the 3D. Paper Marios always have a touch of that, but I thought it really stood out when I had my short go.

The new battle system and sticker collecting/management I can definitely see being divisive, but honestly it's just a new spin on the rpg system. Then again, I didn't spend too long with it to really sink my teeth in.

Did you watch IGN's review? They said the game can be frustrating due to some gameplay/design choices... don't know if that's the reason.

Ah, no, was at work and couldn't when I posted - kept meaning to on my phone but actually ended up working! Gonna have a looky now...

From what I've heard, the game needs you to find certain key items to progress except it doesn't really tell you where to get them so it left people wondering around not knowing what to do next. Not 100% sure if that's it mind, so don't quote me on that. ;)

Really tempted to play Thousand Year Door again.

Yep people have wanted Nintendo to implement those type of things in modern day Zelda. It's ironic that when they take away their hand holding people still complain. Some reviewers apparently had to contact other reviewers for tips to progress further into the game.

I think there's an issue here with the utilitarian manner in which modern reviewers have to race through a game in a matter of days to get the review out. I have no problem with a lack of "go here, get this" hand-holding. It's funny but Josh Thomas didn't seem to have these issues because he enjoyed exploring the different areas.

The one thing that remains questionable for me is the lack of reward for battles with no levelling. In the long term it might lead to a lot of fleeing from encounters to save stickers for the all-important boss battles.

Ever since the GameCube, I've thought the biggest challenge facing gaming was how to make games understandable to less experienced players (and those of us who simply get stuck) whilst still keeping all their exploring and integrity. For example, I thought it was such a shame my friends couldn't play Wind Waker, but at the same time I don't want it set up scene-by-scene like more modern Zeldas.

To this end, you'll never hear me complaining about "helpers" like Fi, and I actually think the Super Guide, Super Leaf and the Oracle Stones in OOT 3D are works of genius - easily some of the best innovations in recent years. There was a bit where I just couldn't remember how to get up the steep slope in the Water Temple - I simply climbed into an Oracle Stone and it knew which set of obstacles I was stuck on. No connecting to the internet and looking at an FAQ... brilliant, in my opinion.

Regarding Paper Mario, it does sound like they've made it a bit too obscure, but we'll see. As one of the "system sellers" shown many years ago, I don't think it ever needed to be a work of genius. Future "big" titles will probably be held to higher standards. For now, I just want to play it! :)

Good news for me today: NOE seem to have started sending out download codes rather than carts for press previews. I now have a new copy of Sticker Star downloaded onto my SD card! :D Only been on for twenty minutes so far, but I'm enjoying what I've seen! I'll report back later with a few more impressions, but let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Mike