Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro_Link

I mean where are they gonna put the best music?!

The answer, my friend,

Is blowing in the Bramble Breeze...

The answer is blowing in the Bramble Breeze...

Anyway, I remember seeing a scan that revealed Cranky...

Honestly, if that doesn't show us Retro "got" DKC's feel, then nothing will.

P.S.: I remember seeing enemies fall to the side of the screen, though I don't remember where, exactly. The enemy had to be killed in a specific way, maybe rolling?

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus christ you guys are a picky bunch of freaks it's FREAKING DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!! All these little details you keep blurting out about how it's not identical to the other Donkey Kong games is pretty stupid. Don't like it and it don't feel like Donkey Kong Country? How about I get a marker pen and write on every Donkey Kong Country game the number 4, the game will have same levels, same enemies, same music, same animation, everything from the old Donkey Kong Country is there, you won't complain about that would you?

/rant

Jesus christ you guys are a picky bunch of freaks it's FREAKING DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!! All these little details you keep blurting out about how it's not identical to the other Donkey Kong games is pretty stupid. Don't like it and it don't feel like Donkey Kong Country? How about I get a marker pen and write on every Donkey Kong Country game the number 4, the game will have same levels, same enemies, same music, same animation, everything from the old Donkey Kong Country is there, you won't complain about that would you?

/rant

Apologies, I was under the impression that this was a free country.

The most important thing in DKC is by far the FEELING of the platforming itself, and thats what it appears to be lacking. You can put any kind of graphic over the top of it, because its just pictures, but if that base of the gameplay isn't right then....the game isn't a DKC....it may just be a very good Donkey Kong themed platformer.

The most important thing in DKC is by far the FEELING of the platforming itself

Interesting. I never really liked the way Donkey Kong felt. I always thought he felt a bit clunky in comparison to Mario (not a good thing).

Though the way things play changes all the times. I mean, Mario even feels different in Galaxy 2 compared to Galaxy 1.

Interesting. I never really liked the way Donkey Kong felt. I always thought he felt a bit clunky in comparison to Mario (not a good thing).

I agree to an extent. If I ever had a choice between Donkey and Diddy, it was always Diddy. Its a small part of the reason why I prefer DKC2, the other reasons of course being that it was better.

Word up on DKC2 ReZ, it rules. I'm actually starting to regret selling my copy of it to nando :( oh well, at least it's in a good home!).

With regards to the gameplay discussion, I don't mind so long as it isn't bad! Judging from watching videos is a little tricky, but I wasn't expecting the gameplay to be 100% identical anyway.

And the fact that it's a DKC game is purely because of the setting/branding. Ninty undoubtedly want to play on nostalgia in order to sucker people in.

I agree with Rez, DKC2 is where it's at! The latest video has got me pumped for this game even though I don't think it 'flows' too well, I loved being able to cartwheel through rows of enemies one after another or jump off one to the next and take them all out without touching the floor but - despite the obvious gameplay changes this still looks good.

I agree to an extent. If I ever had a choice between Donkey and Diddy, it was always Diddy. Its a small part of the reason why I prefer DKC2, the other reasons of course being that it was better.

But thats it. Donkey Kong Country 2 will always be the best out of the 3, heck Donkey Kong Country 3 had more content more variety in the worlds and lots of little extra's but that didn't matter in the end, as Donkey Kong Country 2 got to the top first (If that makes sense)

This is a good reason as to why Retro SHOULD change the setting and the enemies and such and try to create something new and as far away as the games before yet still have the same style of gameplay. It's time to make it feel new and fresh for us old players to feel something new or once again feel something new in a series we love, rather then the same old shit. And also bring in a new group of gamers into the Donkey Kong Country series.

Heck talking about how awesome this game looks makes me even more hyped then ever now about this game :D

Apologies, I was under the impression that this was a free country.

The most important thing in DKC is by far the FEELING of the platforming itself, and thats what it appears to be lacking. You can put any kind of graphic over the top of it, because its just pictures, but if that base of the gameplay isn't right then....the game isn't a DKC....it may just be a very good Donkey Kong themed platformer.

I'm surprised you didn't make a joke about it being a free (Donkey Kong) Country.

This is a very important release to me as well but I am reserving judgement until i play it, like i did when i played New Super Mario Bros DS after playing Super Mario World so long ago.

And i also don't see how it's physics being slightly different means that it shouldn't have the 'Country' label. Just because Sonic 4 was different should that drop the 4? And should New Super Mario Bros DS and Wii be disgarded from the mario timeline, or 2d mario's in general because they play differently? I don't think so.

This entry will evolve the Country series into the next gen and make it better. It may not rank as high as Donkey Kong Country 2 (<3), but like New Super Mario Bros before it will be a damn good game.

Besides, Retro are developing it. Would you rather have Rare as they are now developing it? Didn't think so.

So just relax, it's going to be a good game, you'll see. :)

My question would be "why?"...

Because I've played and loved (or is it love?) Viva Pinata, Kameo and Nuts & Bolts. The biggest problem seems that they're much more suited to a Nintendo platform. Rare should still be right at home developing on the Wii.

Because I've played and loved (or is it love?) Viva Pinata, Kameo and Nuts & Bolts. The biggest problem seems that they're much more suited to a Nintendo platform. Rare should still be right at home developing on the Wii.
Those games might all be decent games in your opinion, but they weren't made by the classic Rare staff, just a new bunch of (arguably) decent game developers. It would make no difference all this year on between the new Rare staff making this game, or Retro Studios.

Personally, seeing as I hold the Metroid games in far higher regard than any of the new Rare game, and that Retro Studios are largely a bunch of Nintendo fanboys, I'd much rather they be developing the game.

But my answer would be "yes"...

So would mine be if most of the people involved with Rare's best games like Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie etc, hadn't leftI the company. Hell the people who formed Rare have left.

And i also agree that Viva Pinata is a good game, (haven't played Kameo or Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts but heard mixed reviews on both - not denying they're good games), but they now seem to be a company doomed to make Kinect games and games that 'don't quite get there.'

Heck i loved Rare, one of the best game companies ever created, but they've just lost that spark and where they've lost it, Retro Studios seems to have found it.

But anyway, whoever develops it i'd still buy it. Especially when it looks as good as it does.

Edited by Arnieboy

The question is: had Kameo, Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts come out on the Wii, would they be better received than they were on the X360?

I think they would, honestly. Rare's reputation was stained by factors other than the perceived quality of their recent games, which no doubt carried over to the game's reviews and general opinion.

It's noticeable, really (and this is coming from someone who hasn't played Rare's recent games. I have no idea how bad/good/disappointing/underrated they're supposed to be.)

Can you honestly blame them when you've done nothing but make Metroid games for like 6+ years and then Nintendo are all "yeah we want you to port 1 and 2 to Wii now too".

It was confirmed in an interview that Trilogy was Retro's idea. Obviously you could choose to not believe them, but you'd be pretty paranoid.

It was confirmed in an interview that Trilogy was Retro's idea. Obviously you could choose to not believe them, but you'd be pretty paranoid.

It does sound like bullshit, unless it was because they really wanted the games to sell more or something.

Never the less then I guess it's possible that decision was made after those key staff left, but I dunno.

Maybe they had some kind of contractual obligation to release another Metroid title on Wii in some form or something.

Kotaku have a story up relating to the difficulty of DKCR and it all looks good.

Whilst i have been looking forward to this i was starting to wonder about the difficulty seeing as you now have 2 hits per kong, (i think i've seen if you die as one you die overall, but if you switch kongs that's still 3 hits to play with).

Looks to be following New Super Mario Bros in still having a challenging difficulty which is good to see. :)

http://kotaku.com/5675560/50-deaths-in-donkey-kong-country-returns-in-one-sitting

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!