Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo to charge for Online Services?

david.dakota

According to Edge Online, Nintendo may be on the cusp of charging for online access - with a two tiered approach suggested by Miyamoto himself. Full article after taking a Leap of Faith.

Miyamoto also acknowledges that Nintendo may not have been proactive in developing software like MMOs, but they are happy with online entertainment they're providing.

Question is, would you pay for Wii's online offering? Or are we looking at future hardware for the jump to paid-online-land?

Assuming they change it to make it as functional as XBL/PSN, and as convenient to use, I would pay for it if they released some decent online games for it that I couldn't experience on another console. I would need to feel like I'm getting something for my money though.

I can't see them doing such a thing for Wii, they would be mad to want to charge people for the online service as it is and I don't think it's possible to implement any kind of overhaul for the Wii's service. If they were thinking of charging for online services it would have to be for their next home system (maybe even for the 3DS).

But if they were to charge as others have said they would need a whole new approach to it than their current system.

- No more individual Friend Codes for each game, one console code and from your friends list you can see which online games each of your friends has, even if you don't have the same game.

- Costs would have to be realistic, I don't know how much XboxLive costs, can only seem to find US prices using google which say $50 a year which seems alright, Nintendo would need to match or be less, they certainly could not go higher.

- Good games available for online play with full and proper features such as easy to find match making, proper lobbies, good servers with lagless (or minimum lag) games. Proper chat functions either through text and/or voice.

- If for a new home console, It should be possible and easy to redownload any VC and WiiWare games you purchased on your Wii to the new system.

- and many more things I can't think of right now

Nope. Wrong direction. XBL needs to be made free at the end of this generation. Online fees should be made a thing of the past as soon as possible.

I don't care if Nintendo turn around with the best online set-up EVARZ, I still wouldn't pay for it.

Nintendo's current set-up may be imperfect, but I'd take it over dogmatic fees any day.

--

Anyway, it's just Miyamoto musing. Doesn't mean anything.

Edited by D_prOdigy

If this happens I would be amazed if they charge on the Wii, it's more likely to be a brand new paid for system starting with the 3DS and Wii 2.

I hope they do it personally, I'd much rather pay for a great system than get a half-arsed one for free.