NEurope
MoogleViper

Suit or Tux?

Suit or Tux?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Suit or Tux?

• Suit
    • Tuxedo

Ok so I've got a may ball even at Uni on May 7th. (Details of it here.) Now I was originally planning to go in my ted baker suit. But after looking at the pictures of the 2008 event most of them are wearing tuxedos. So now I'm not sure what to wear. So I call upon you N-Europe to help me decide.

Photos of previous May ball.

5-1.jpg

21.jpg

17.jpg

EDIT: Also a tux will cost £30 to rent, whereas the suit will need to be posted to me (from home) which will probably cost a tenner. (The shoes will need to be sent anyway so that will cost about £3.)

EDIT2: I'd like to know your thoughts as well rather than just a vote.

Edited by MoogleViper
Automerged Doublepost

Well, if everyone else jumped off a bridge would you do it as well??. You don't have to be a follower, be yourself. So if you wish to wear a suit, wear one. Personally, i'd wear a tux as it is a ball after all.

^ lol.

Anyway, IIRC, a tuxedo is generally "what you wear" to a ball. And maybe would look better and more in line with what everyone else is wearing. But it's not like a suit would be horrific.

I'm a bit dense and don't know the difference between a suit and a tuxedo haha. I think the suit looks nice. But then I've never been to a ball so I don't know what people normally wear or what's accepted/expected.

Edit: after looking at more pics, I assume tuxedo is black with a bowtie (or are there more differences?)? If so, I think your suit looks way nicer haha. But then again I don't like bowties at all, they just look silly. But yeah, I think your suit looks nice.

Edited by Eenuh

Tux usually comes with a black bowtie on a wing collar, often a waistcoat (but not so much amongst younger people) and (I think) a single breasted jacket. Also you get silk bits on a Tux dinner jacket that you wouldn't see on a regular suit jacket.

A ball normally means a tux. I think of a suit more for work, conferences, weddings and funerals.

What people commonly refer to as suits are lounge suits; this is quite a broad category, but usually consists of a jacket and trousers made from the same material, a plain suit with a simple collar, and a normal tie. They're normally single breasted, but double breasted is possible too, and in my experience the lapels tend to be notched. The whole thing can be added to with a waistcoat (same material as the suit) or cummerbund (different material).

suit_ferraro_00.jpg

Black tie, known as a tux(edo) some of the time (especially in America) is the next level of formality, and consists of a matching jacket with silk-faced peaked lapels and trousers with satin bands covering the seams (two bands in America, normally one in England). Once again the jacket can be single- or double-breasted. The shirt is also more formal, known as a dress shirt, and has french cuffs which need to be folded over and fastened with cufflinks, and a cotton pique fronting (basically a load of frilly bits). The shirt may be fastened with silver studs rather than buttons. The collar can be either turndown or wing, although wing seems increasingly common. Technically a wing collar should only be used if it's detachable and affixed with studs, but people don't seem to worry about this these days. You wear all this with a black bow-tie, hence the name of the dress style. Cummerbunds and waistcoats can be added if you're wearing a single breasted suit, but this is less common I think.

Australia+Week+2009+Black+Tie+Gala+ACe44WCsy7jl.jpg

The next-step up is white tie, which is the most formal level of civilian dress in the UK, and it's awesome, although I've only got the time to post a picture:

Wool%20White%20tie%20tailcoat%20&%20trousers.jpg

I had a ball where the above was compulsory. :heh:

Anyway, in answer to your question, I think you should definitely go in black tie, as that's the standard for balls. Plus in my opinion it looks nicer than suits.

Without a doubt go for the tux, people that go to balls etc. in normal suits always look like plonkers.

Neither.

kilt.jpg

Exactly what I was going to suggest!

Kilts are fantastic for every occasion; just wear a different jacket with them.

It's all about suits man!

I had my ball a few weeks back and went for my Ted Baker suit instead of a Tux, don't regret it at all. That suit looks fly as hell and you'll get more attention than tux wearers as everyone looks the same in them.

I need to get a kilt or tartan trews before the Jesus-Somerville Ball.

The latter could add.

Edited by chairdriver

I love both suits and tuxedos. They're so stylish. I'd say that the situations determines which one to go for, and since it's a ball, it's more formal, so I think you should go with the tux.

If you don't feel comfortable chancing it, then go for a tux..

Ask around with people who are going and see what they are wearing (maybe)?

I still think the suit is hot though

For a ball, the tux, no questions.

You may be interested to know you can get a reasonable Tux for £45 from Matalan - whilst not the greatest, it's difficult for the untrained eye to tell if you get one that fits well, and is cheaper than hiring after the 2nd use. I have one, though I've discovered my dad's (much nicer and rather expensive) one fits like a glove, so I use that when needed.

I got mine for £10 from a charity shop, it was effectively brand-new. Or at least very very well preserved. Maybe someone died a tragic death in it.

For a ball, the tux, no questions.

You may be interested to know you can get a reasonable Tux for £45 from Matalan - whilst not the greatest, it's difficult for the untrained eye to tell if you get one that fits well, and is cheaper than hiring after the 2nd use. I have one, though I've discovered my dad's (much nicer and rather expensive) one fits like a glove, so I use that when needed.

I use my dad's, but it's too short and fat for me. :heh: I eventually had to buy new trousers (£20 from M&S) because they kept falling down.

If your suit has a waistcoat, go for the suit, and wear the most outrageously coloured shirt/tie combo.

You look good in that first pic with the suit, Moogle. Hmm, if other people are wearing tuxs (are they?), then I guess it depends on whether or not you'll feel comfortable wearing it or not.

For my graduation ball last year, I'm pretty sure the men wore suits rather than tuxs. But, it wasn't the expected thing for us to wear a tuxedo. It might be different for you. Actually, Grunch's description has confused me somewhat, as I thought a tuxedo was...some form of uber posh suit. Mine was a black suit from next.

As long as you smart and sexy, then you'll be fine. So, my advice is: Be sexy.

Suits seem to look a helluvalot sexier in my opinion. Those tuxedos just make men look like penguins or butlers or something.

animpequins.gif

Also, white tie is awesome. I have no idea where I'd get to wear it, but god damn do I want a white tie outfit.