Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

iPhone 4/iOS4

Dante

A friend of mine has had the same proximity thing happen to him today, and he's using an iPhone 3G. Also looking on a couple of of forums a couple of posts have said they're not using the new iPhone and it's happening. Hopefully that one is just an iOS4 bug where the sensor is too sensitive and it's taking any movement for you pulling the phone away. Well looking at voicemail in the mirror I could notice the screen come on a couple of times, but the sensor does seem to be working if you put your finger over it.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memo to self: kidnap ReZ the day before Iron Man 3/The Avengers (whichever comes first) is released, then film the next day's insanity and make a killing selling the footage and back-story to You've Been Framed.

(The Avengers) But....thats not funny. Please don't do that. :(

The official word from steve is avoid holding it in a way that causes the signal to decrease.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

If that is his real response then that is laughable. No way are people going to be happy with that.

I'm going to look like an idiot at work Monday with this expensive phone that you can't even hold without dropped signal.

Here is an interesting blog post that explains how the antenna issue might have been missed/ also exactly why and how it occurs:

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys-blog/2010/6/24/apple-iphone-4-antennas.html

Personally I have mixed feelings about this. Is it a design flaw? Or is it just a case of it being a small issue with work arounds that shouldn't put you off getting the phone. Personally this issue isn't big enough to stop me from a purchase if I were that way inclined as a £3 purchase would fix it while protecting the device at the same time.

From what I've read it happens on loads of phones, including previous iPhones and the Nexus One.

I think it's been blew out of proportion myself.

When a phone loses 4 out of 5 bars of signal from it, then it's a valid complaint.

What the fucking fuck!?!?!?

I can't use my new phone. Why, you ask? Because I have OS 10.4 (Tiger) on my Mac. That's right, it supports older Windows OS like XP, but not Tiger. I have to upgrade to 10.5.

I know it says on the back of the box (in the tiniest lettering), but this is a disgrace!

What the fucking fuck!?!?!?

I can't use my new phone. Why, you ask? Because I have OS 10.4 (Tiger) on my Mac. That's right, it supports older Windows OS like XP, but not Tiger. I have to upgrade to 10.5.

I know it says on the back of the box (in the tiniest lettering), but this is a disgrace!

No you don't, you only need 10.5 to activate it. If you know someone who has it then you can activate it round at theirs and then sync it to your own computer when you get home.

Still, it's pretty poor you can't use 10.4 as its very popular still.

From what I've read it happens on loads of phones, including previous iPhones and the Nexus One.

I think it's been blew out of proportion myself.

Was looking at this on both a 2G and a 3G iPhone yesterday and the same thing happens - although it doesn't lose as many bars as the iPhone 4. I was looking at one in town today (Newcastle) and was pretty impressed although also miffed that the current deals are utterly ridiculous.

Plus all sold out - as expected.

I don't understand how this also happens with older 3G models...

They also have the antenna running on the outside?

I thought this was a new feature to the phone... but... it's not?

I'm confused.

I'm also amused at some of the stuff I've seen on Facebook from people who own the new phone, "It happens with the old one too!"

Well toodle-fucking-oo, that means they've also got a design flaw.

Also, Steve's reply is just... ridiculous.

I think a most crazy pioneers would have said something equally stupid though.

Hopefully it'll be sorted and this won't stain an otherwise awesome phone.

No you don't, you only need 10.5 to activate it. If you know someone who has it then you can activate it round at theirs and then sync it to your own computer when you get home.

Still, it's pretty poor you can't use 10.4 as its very popular still.

No, am still getting the message that it needs 10.5.8 to sync. I activated it on my girlfriend's mum's computer which worked fine but now I can't sync it.

I still use Tiger because I bought this computer 5 years ago. I use an iBook G4 with 512MB of RAM. In order to upgrade to Leopard, I need to buy more RAM (as I am right on the minimum requirement needed) and then fork out over £100 for the software, and I can't even get 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Other than buying a new computer, any other suggestions?

After doing a few searches for you...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2477732&tstart=0

http://www.iphone4forum.net/forum/iphone-4-help-15/cant-sync-iphone-4-macbook-360/index2.html

I don't really think there's much you can do without parting with cash.

Do you own a valid copy of Windows?

You could possibly Boot Camp (although I think that might be Leopard and onwards) or use Parallels or something similar.

And sync with iTunes using Windows that's ran through your Mac.

Although with only 512 memory that's going to be slow.

This is classic Apple though...

They have this constant attitude of their shit "just working".

But in actual fact they leave their users behind and to "just work" you need to be able to constantly fork out money for expensive hardware.

It's the reason why I switched back to Windows.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's time for a new computer methinks. Safari constantly crashes, I can't watch youtube without even the poorest quality videos being really jerky, the battery lasts for 20 minutes tops so I always have to have it plugged in.

Am off to the Trafford Centre later! Will just get the £850 MacBook which comes with 2GB of RAM. A new phone and computer in the same day...phew!

I still don't think that I could go back to Windows though...the horrors!!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!