Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

iPhone 4/iOS4

Dante

I don't understand, why not just wait a few days and walk in on a sunny afternoon and buy one? Does it matter that you have it today not in 3 days?

Its the first curse. Its absolutely unavoidable and we all know its stupid, but there is nothing we can do to escape its grasp.

For example I would have genuinely killed myself if I didn't see Iron Man on the day it came out.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it actually worth getting a bumper case to sort this issue? Or what? Not entirely sure what to do now. surely we can't be expected to use phones you can't hold?

No doubt Apple will soon announce the iHandsFree for £69.99 ;)

But seriously I'm surprised Apple haven't spoken up about this. Aren't there also cases of yellowey screens or something? Guessing its a faulty batch or whatever. Perhaps because its still fairly early in the USA they haven't addressed it much (i.e. may announce something tomorrow)?

Christ. Another potential issue, apparently a few people are having problems with the proximity sensor when making calls. It's basically not working properly and people are muting, or hanging up on people with their face.

Obviously explains my issue in my other post when I mentioned muting myself, and activating facetime while on a call to my girlfriend. I'm really hoping these problems get sorted because otherwise this phone may be unusable.

No doubt Apple will soon announce the iHandsFree for £69.99 ;)

But seriously I'm surprised Apple haven't spoken up about this. Aren't there also cases of yellowey screens or something? Guessing its a faulty batch or whatever. Perhaps because its still fairly early in the USA they haven't addressed it much (i.e. may announce something tomorrow)?

Engadget

Might not be too much of a problem there, but the other stuff certainly is.

Apparently it doesn't affect all handsets, just some. My flatmate got one today and has no problems to report so far. Everything about the phone is slick though, it's very nice.

PS Ten10 I love how desperate you are to turn this into a new thing to fight about, whether the htc/android or iphone.... blah blah blah blah blah

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH. I refute these allegations. I actually commended apple for the design at the time as it seemed to address the signal issues. Which I considered to be brilliant engineering.

Now that it's in the hands of consumers many people are finding this not to be the case which sucks to be honest. A smartphone is no small investment.

I must admit the picture I posted sans sauce (mmm.. sauce) probably didn't add as much to the discussion, however I was at work and hoped to amend it later with more relevant information.

Here is the source to the cnet article where the picture originated from:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49306007,00.htm

Here is the same website with a proposed fix. I haven't read the article yet so it may or may not be ridiculous:

**Link removed.

It was ridiculous

Fact of the matter is a bumper case will probably solve all issues, and is probably recommended.

Fact of the matter is a bumper case will probably solve all issues, and is probably recommended.

Even if the bumper does fix the issue I'm wanting a new iPhone which I can hold, as it's intended, without losing signal. It's absolutely ridiculous that something like this can happen in the release of a brand new phone.

I'll be on the phone to Apple tomorrow complaining; probably won't do a lot but they need to be told that the product is faulty.

Yep mine has the dodgy signal issue too, wonderful.

Stunning phone otherwise.

Mass product recall/replace or software fix?

Holding the phone in a way that meant that you only touched one of the two antennas would solve the problems (that or a case). The main problem appears to be that Apple didn't realise that the human hand is a conductor.

I'm going to predict that some trading standards company will make Apple send out the bumper cases for free.

Just seems like shitty design to me though... whether or not it can be fixed by holding it in a specific way or using a crappy case.

Exactly. It's inexcusable that there's a problem like this in a mobile phone. The whole point of it is you're meant to have a reception wherever you go. It shouldn't matter if you have a case on it or not or how you hold it.

Exactly. It's inexcusable that there's a problem like this in a mobile phone. The whole point of it is you're meant to have a reception wherever you go. It shouldn't matter if you have a case on it or not or how you hold it.

Well the way it was put across at WWDC is that the new antenna design was to alleviate the issues that previous devices had with signal quality. For some reason it doesn't seem to work as planned.

From news reports I've read its predominately a left hand issue. I wouldn't bother buying an official iphone 4 bumper case. Knock offs will be hitting ebay next week from 2-5 quid.

Scratch that they're already here. Damn they're fast.

Spot on. I expect this issue to be fixed, and not with a bit of rubber being wrapped around it.

Just had another call and half way through I heard to 'email sent' swoosh. Looked at my phone and I've sent a blank email to someone with my face. There's a definite issue here. This happen to anyone else?

I guess we'll need to wait for a decent blog to actually take one with the problem and one without and see if there's any difference in the manufacturing.

Maybe a manufacturing problem...

Either way fucking shocking for such an expensive device that "just works".

I thought the Apple tax was partly justified for the quality of the design...

I guess we'll need to wait for a decent blog to actually take one with the problem and one without and see if there's any difference in the manufacturing.

Maybe a manufacturing problem...

Either way fucking shocking for such an expensive device that "just works".

I thought the Apple tax was partly justified for the quality of the design...

That's exactly what I've always said, and I'm happy to pay the higher price for excellent quality, but this has not been a good day for me!

So how is the iPhone 4 working for those who got it?

Can we have a picture of you hugging it Caris?

The new OS is nice.

My poor out-of-date 3G feels like it's had a nice shower and is all fresh and... clean?

That analogy didn't work.

For example I would have genuinely killed myself if I didn't see Iron Man on the day it came out.

Memo to self: kidnap ReZ the day before Iron Man 3/The Avengers (whichever comes first) is released, then film the next day's insanity and make a killing selling the footage and back-story to You've Been Framed.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!