Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

The flat rate of tax for all is maybe a bit far but lumping NI in with tax is definitely a sensible idea. The tax system could really do with a massive simplification.

Why get rid of inheritance tax?

Why have it? The money has already been taxed at least once already, do the government really need to take another chunk of it?

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, increase police, double the number of troops, create new jobs. How do they plan to do this? It's just a classic case of "tell the public what they want to hear."

Also, how do they intend to just have one United British Culture? Is that even a good idea? Multiculturalism isn't an entirely bad idea...the world is made up of so many people.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Basically, increase police, double the number of troops, create new jobs. How do they plan do this? It's just a classic case of "tell the public what they want to hear."

Also, how do they intend to just have one United British Culture? Is that even a good idea? Multiculturalism isn't an entirely bad idea...the world is made up of so many people.

The whole idea of national identity is a bit silly, really. Who decides what's British and what's not? We all have different ideas of what is [insert nationality adjective], all of them essentially stereotypes and prejudices with more or less truth in them.

The flat rate of tax for all is maybe a bit far but lumping NI in with tax is definitely a sensible idea. The tax system could really do with a massive simplification.

Why have it? The money has already been taxed at least once already' date=' do the government really need to take another chunk of it?[/quote']

A massive simplication that means poor people are paying more than before (or at least as much as) whilst the rich have their taxes heavily reduced and public services like the NHS are left to die.

I actually think inheritance tax, as long as it is reserved for rich people (say 500k, a little higher than the current threshold, which I think is too low) is one of the fairest taxes there is. It makes more sense than income tax on a level. Think about someone like...Paris Hilton. Not a great example I know, but what did she really do to earn all of that money she's inheriting? Is it really fair to keep all of that money between a few wealthy families?

For middle class and working class people, inheritance tax doesn't make all that much sense, taking a chunk of money from an already meagre sum. But for the rich, I support it. (class being used purely in the American economic term here)

It only results in the poor paying more if you do it in a stupid way. There's no reason a tax simplification has to fuck anyone over.

The thing with inheritance tax, let's use your example, is that most of that money is tied up in assets and business that won't be inherited at all - merely passed on as part of a business that comes under someone else's control at some point.

I think a parent who has worked all their life should be able to choose where their money goes without someone taking a huge chunk out of it. In fairness all that ends up happening is that people pass on their wealth before they die so as to avoid it. It would be much easier just to let it go completely.

It only results in the poor paying more if you do it in a stupid way. There's no reason a tax simplification has to fuck anyone over.

The thing with inheritance tax' date=' let's use your example, is that most of that money is tied up in assets and business that won't be inherited at all - merely passed on as part of a business that comes under someone else's control at some point.

I think a parent who has worked all their life should be able to choose where their money goes without someone taking a huge chunk out of it. In fairness all that ends up happening is that people pass on their wealth before they die so as to avoid it. It would be much easier just to let it go completely.[/quote']

Their tax simplification does no favours for anyone. Apart from the wealthiest people in the country. It is profoundly right wing and regressive, even Thatcher would look at that and go 'Wow that's a bit far'. The abolish national insurance bit and it incorporate into income tax would be welcome, but they heavily reduces taxes for the wealthiest few and that to me is just perverse.

Fair point about inheritance there, but still, it be nice if we could at least try and spread that money around a little. Tax evasion's a massive problem generally, not just with the inheritance.

Oh sorry wires crossed on that one, I totally agree the way they plan to do it is ridiculous. I agree with the idea though.

Absolutely right on the evasion point, the trouble is it's usually the rich who are able to do it. Again, it's something I think a big simplification of tax in general would sort out.

I don't support UKIP. Let me get that out there.

But ... to make their 31% look better consider this:

1) The tax free amount one earns would be raised to £11500.

2) Abolishing NI accounts for the other 11%, that would be added to the standard 20%.

Essentially they are merging the two and raising the amount you can earn. It would simplify a wage slip and the poorest people would see a tangible net wage increase. (And so would the mega rich, and their net increase would be much larger. I personally fall on the "tax the rich because no one needs that much money" side of the fence.)

I don't support UKIP. Let me get that out there.

But ... to make their 31% look better consider this:

1) The tax free amount one earns would be raised to £11500.

2) Abolishing NI accounts for the other 11%, that would be added to the standard 20%.

Essentially they are merging the two and raising the amount you can earn. It would simplify a wage slip and the poorest people would see a tangible net wage increase. (And so would the mega rich, and their net increase would be much larger. I personally fall on the "tax the rich because no one needs that much money" side of the fence.)

Well the two points you raise i agree with. But if you're gonna tax normal folk 31%, then rich people should be maybe ...55%?

I think we all agree here :P

Yeah I think you're right on that, personally I'd go for a higher tax free limit, say £15k, the next £85k taxed at 25-30% (Tax and NI combined) and then anything over £100k tax the hell out of, say 60% or so. You'd obviously need to know the real figures to tweak that correctly but I don't see why it couldn't work.

Yeah I think you're right on that' date=' personally I'd go for a higher tax free limit, say £15k, the next £85k taxed at 25-30% (Tax and NI combined) and then anything over £100k tax the hell out of, say 60% or so. You'd obviously need to know the real figures to tweak that correctly but I don't see why it couldn't work.[/quote']

So wait, someone earing a gross of £90k gets say, £63k after tax (assuming 30%), but somone on £100k only gets £40k? I'm all for higher percentages of tax on those who earn more, but I think they should still end up actually earning more.

So wait, someone earing a gross of £90k gets say, £63k after tax (assuming 30%), but somone on £100k only gets £40k? I'm all for higher percentages of tax on those who earn more, but I think they should still end up actually earning more.

No but only the money earned from £100k onwards would be taxed at that amount. They earn £150k - £100k is taxed at 30%, £50k is taxed at 60%.

Grunch doesn't understand tax bands! WE FOUND HIS WEAKNESS GUYS!!

lawl :P

I've just realised the date for the election so I have a fantastic new excuse for not voting; I have essays due in on teh 5th and teh 7th of May.

Pah, nobody needs an excuse to not vote.

I haven't voted, why? Because I have no fecking clue about politics and in a year I may be abroad. Pah

*shuffles on*

No it isn't.

I wasn't taught anything about voting at my high school nor college.

We spent an hour on it.

They essentially said that there's three parties, Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem.

What's wrong with Clegg?

Although I'm a Lib Dem I'm not the world's biggest fan of Clegg.

Vince Cable however... :love:

We spent an hour on it.

They essentially said that there's three parties, Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem.

Although I'm a Lib Dem I'm not the world's biggest fan of Clegg.

Vince Cable however... :love:

I'm not either but I don't think he's a twat...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!