N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

Patronising Torygraph

The appointment of Nick Clegg as the nation’s favourite son-in-law is more easily explained than many would have us believe. The British public engages with politics only every four or five years. Until a week ago many did not know who Mr Clegg was. Indeed, a considerable number probably still do not. Then he appeared on television (the principal medium of engagement) with equal status to the Prime Minister and the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, yet with the incalculable bonus of being neither. The usually uninterested public, in this rare moment of engagement, did what it often does at such times, and became impressed by the last charlatan to come along.

Does anybody find this incredibly insulting? I really hate Simon Heffer. Most of the Telegraph's columnists are as awful as the Daily Mail's. For balance, I can't stand Polly Toynbee either :heh:

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole article isn't nearly as bad as the Daily Fail one, but it does seem to assert that the Tories have no real policy and have basically been useless in opposition, yet would still be the best party to have in government. What?

Edited by gaggle64

Sure enough, the media backlash against the lib dems is starting with gusto

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1267628/General-Election-2010-Its-time-voters-wake-real.html

Fucking irresponsible cunts. Printing clearly biased material that they know will be read by idiots who can vote, just to help their Tory-loving paymasters. I don't buy the "OMG the media is trying to control us all!!1" bullshit, but this is bullshit...

The above applies to them, too.

The scare tactics are being wheeled out by the Tories themselves - the IMF thing this morning from Ken Clarke - and from their common-or-garden supporters - A Desperate Retelling of British Political History.

Oh, and yes, I get overly-angry about this, I know. I just think it's utterly childish of them, and entirely partisan. If they were interested in actually convincing people they were right, they'd simply explain why their policies are best, but, no, their policies suck, so they do the OMG MORE LABOUR/OMG THE IMF WILL HAVE TO RUN BRITAIN/OMG BROKEN BRITAIN tactic. It's shitty and underhand, but not enough people care to look long enough to see through it.

Edited by The fish
Automerged Doublepost

I can't get over how vacuous and insubstantial the tories are on everything. Putting aside ideological differences, they still have nothing. What is this 'Big Society' crap we keep hearing of? I've noticed Cameron trying to steer the debate back to social ills as opposed to economic problems and that just seems to me because his party have been utterly wrong on the economy for the past two years. This conventional wisdom that suggests the tories are the party of economic competence just seems utterly disproven recently.

Apart from that, they're such a mess on Europe. I really hope Clegg brings up the fact the Tories allied themselves with extreme right fascists just because they also believe in a much weaker Europe. What change do these people offer really? How anyone can consider voting for these people is beyond me, it really is. For all the incompetence of Labour over the years, the Tories still can't capitalise on it because they're policies simply aren't there.

Big society as put to the voters

Man I hate the amount of ignorant idiots in this country.

We were talking about politics and I asked if anyone watched the debate;

Housemate: "I turned over to that debate and that Nick Clegg guy was talking about something and I thought "Who the fuck are you? I'm not voting for you." and changed the channel."

Man I hate the amount of ignorant idiots in this country.

We were talking about politics and I asked if anyone watched the debate;

Housemate: "I turned over to that debate and that Nick Clegg guy was talking about something and I thought "Who the fuck are you? I'm not voting for you." and changed the channel."

Next time your housemate bitches about roads, the NHS, tuition fees, jobs, money or anything of that kind, remind him of his previous disinterest in politics.

Elsewhere, Generals have come out in support of the LibDem Trident plan. I'd have thought they'd know, of all people.

Next time your housemate bitches about roads, the NHS, tuition fees, jobs, money or anything of that kind, remind him of his previous disinterest in politics.

She's so ignorant. She thinks that anything that she doesn't do is wrong. She said that a guy she was seeing was a freak because he liked hiking.

I do hope we go to Alternative Vote after the election and not PR. If anything, PR will be worse than FPTP. Yes votes aren't wasted, but a PR parliament is ridiculous.

AV gives you the same old two parties all the time though - if Labour and the Tories get the most votes, then it ends up as a run-off between the two of them, every single time. Labour only proposed it to try and stay in power - they hope under that system, in the 2nd round, everyone would go "fuck, not the Conservatives, vote Labour!" (hell, I would).

I think the STV system is the best bet, or a direct PR. FPTP is just awful.

I love the fact I was genuinely going to vote Green, but now been swayed to Lib Dem, by the amount of joke people showing support for them.

It's like when people in the DC universe finally realised Wonder Woman is fucking badass and will rape you with her knee if you piss her off.

I would be completely in favour of a PR or similar system is it ever came to pass, Germany has it and probably has one of the most stable governments in Europe. If the LibDems and other smaller parties remain resurgent in future elections hung parliaments will likely end up the norm anyway.

Can we have a poll added to this and see exactly whom people on here will be voting for?

I thought this would be a good idea, but I think I have a good idea what it would look like just from reading through this thread (presuming most people who would vote would have already responded to this thread)

I thought this would be a good idea, but I think I have a good idea what it would look like just from reading through this thread (presuming most people who would vote would have already responded to this thread)

That's on the basis that everyone's decided who to vote for, and not all that many people seem to have.

The Nick Clegg smearing continues, with the Torygraph discovering that Nick Clegg received party donation money from three business men (all registered donors) that was put into his private account. And then used to help pay a member of his parliamentary staff's salary. Which he officially and fully declared. All £250 a month of it. In 2006. Oh the scandal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8636311.stm

The Nick Clegg smearing continues, with the Torygraph discovering that Nick Clegg received party donation money from three business men (all registered donors) that was put into his private account. And then used to help pay a member of his parliamentary staff's salary. Which he officially and fully declared. All £250 a month of it. In 2006. Oh the scandal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8636311.stm

It's a very Lib Dem style scandal - fairly minor, not actually scandalous....

The papers will smear the Lib Dems as much as possible over the coming weeks. Most of them see the election as an investment and most of them have 'invested' in the Conservatives. They will do everything they can to protect that investment. I've got to say, so far they're doing a pretty poor job :p I'm sure there's probably some real dirt out there though, they've just got to find it.

BNP can't be that racist after including Marmite on their ad. A racist party would have had a jar of Heinz mayo, right? On the upside, Marmite haters have yet another reason not to vote for Griffin's clown squad.

Hm, one day I will actually input something useful to this thread.