Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Android Thread

david.dakota

All I can say is wow.

US Patent office 'tentatively' invalidates Apples patent covering its rubber banding effect

Reading the article, it seems the USPTO has identified two reasons to invalidate. Firstly, prior art and secondly the effect seems obvious. Its pretty exciting news for followers of technology and, if confirmed, should have the effect of calming Apple and the assertion of weak patents. Samsung will be pretty happy right now, should cut that crazy $1bn award and further cement their argument to overule the jury.

@mr\-paul and any other S3 novices it seems Jelly bean is now available, or so my phone kept screaming at me all day as it tried to update constantly but found no wifi to do it

Yeah I had just one day on ICS, now updated to Jelly Bean. Was the same when I got my Desire two years ago, had a day on Eclair before they released Froyo!

The over the air update didn't want to work due to the number of people downloading so had to go through Kies, which it seems doesn't like Macs, so had to use my mum's PC!

Not a lot different after the update, can anyone give me a good explanation of how I'm meant to use Google Now?

Otherwise, having a great time with this phone so far! Doesn't seem as big as I feared it was when I tried it in the shops and everything works so smoothly! Screen is lovely and battery life better than expected (although that's only after a day and a half!)

This just came up on Spotify:

Orange U24 Scheme.

If you're under 24 and are on a contract worth more than £15 a month, or top up £15 a month pay as you go, they will give you unlimited calls and texts to Orange and T-Mobile numbers, and an extra gig of data. Yay for me going back to Orange tomorrow!

giffgaff give you unlimited same network texts and calls by default, even if you only top up a tenner every 3 months. And internet is unlimited for a tenner a month (soon to be £12).

Yeah I had just one day on ICS, now updated to Jelly Bean. Was the same when I got my Desire two years ago, had a day on Eclair before they released Froyo!

The over the air update didn't want to work due to the number of people downloading so had to go through Kies, which it seems doesn't like Macs, so had to use my mum's PC!

Not a lot different after the update, can anyone give me a good explanation of how I'm meant to use Google Now?

Otherwise, having a great time with this phone so far! Doesn't seem as big as I feared it was when I tried it in the shops and everything works so smoothly! Screen is lovely and battery life better than expected (although that's only after a day and a half!)

Give Google now some time to learn. It should learn when you leave work and give you directions and any delays there might be. It will learn what day you go to the cinema and list film times. You can also add stuff manually like favourite sports teams.

Looking for a tenner-a-month SIM/contract, and a handset in the region of £60-80. Not in need of many minutes really, and obviously not looking for anything swanky with the phone, just something that's solid and has a swift interface. Preferably not a touch-screen because they're terrible in that price range.

Ta guys!

Looking for a tenner-a-month SIM/contract, and a handset in the region of £60-80. Not in need of many minutes really, and obviously not looking for anything swanky with the phone, just something that's solid and has a swift interface. Preferably not a touch-screen because they're terrible in that price range.

Ta guys!

Quick search:

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/10771364/Nokia-3310-Sim-Free-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone/Product.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068O9RME/

Ta guys!

http://www.talkmobile.co.uk/paymonthly24smart.html

A number of phones available for £7.50 or £10 per month.

This seems to be the Samsung Nexus 10:

14.jpg

16.jpg

23.jpg

33.jpg

Specs:

- Samsung Exynos 5250 clocked at 1.7 GHz, Dual-core Cortex-A15, Mali-T604 GPU

- 2 GB RAM

- 16GB internal storage (other options possible)

- 10.1-inch Super AMOLED display, 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution, 298.9 pixels-per-inch

- 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, LED flash

- Front-facing camera

- NFC

- Wi-Fi

- Bluetooth 4.0

- Dual speakers located on front of device

My battery is having one of those ridiculous days. I charged it to 100% last night before switching it off. This morning I switched it on and left it for about 15 minutes, by which point it hit 97%. I closed some background apps and it went down to 96% and now, two minutes later, it's down to 95%. 5% from practically doing nothing.

Mine still loses 10% - 15% battery overnight, which isn't as bad as before but still seems to be a lot considering it shouldn't be doing much. Turning off Google Now solved my earlier battery drain issue in the end, which is a shame because it's a cool feature. Turns out the Google Now option syncs to other devices as well so it turns it off on my Nexus 7 as well :(. Still getting the mysterious Google Services process in my battery list but it's never gone higher 3%.

Google's event tomorrow has been cancelled due to the storms.

I'm going to fully buy the phone and downgrade my contract to a sim-only. That will save me £22.10 a month plus I'll be on a 1-year rolling contract instead of a 2-year contract.

Edit: Just worked it out. I'll save £781.8 over two years. That must be wrong...

Edited by Cube

Bizarre. I have Google Now on my Galaxy Nexus and get a full days use out of it, texts, plenty of browsing. From 0730 when its unplugged to 1800 when I return home I've used less than 60% battery. Are you sure there's nothing else draining it?

Yeah, disabled loads of apps and it made no difference, turned off Now and battery usage dropped. Maps was showing up in the battery list despite not running so I think it uses Maps to get my location. I don't really have any other apps that run in the background all the time. I see it's updated so I'll see if it makes any difference.

Kinda want the Nexus 10 now I've seen it, even though i shouldn't really. :(

I see we can finally buy movies, although can't seem to buy everything yet. Also Google Music finally arriving in the UK on the 13th! Use it all the time to stream my music, buying music will be nice as long as we get iTunes level of available music.