Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Android Thread

david.dakota

Right, I know this issue is about 3 years old now but I got a (original) HTC Desire and the internal memory issue is really getting on my tits.

The 'Low on space / phone storage space is getting low' notification is always there, and often I can't access my gallery as the phone tells me it's running too low on memory. I installed updates for the youtube app and a couple of apps but that only helped for a bit.

When you take photo / video I'm presuming it automatically saves to the memory card rather than to internal storage?. I know the Desire has way too little internal space but even given that I have no idea what the space is being taken up by, seeings as most of my apps are stored on the memory card.

Any ideas? Can't be assed to root or whatever..

If you don't want to root your only options are to use apps2sd and clearing cache. There are apps in the store to do this. Rooting is the easiest option regardless. It's very hard to mess up the rooting process.

Got myself the HTC One X the other day, and it's amazing! The battery is a bit of an issue if you're not careful, but a patch is on the way to fix it. Other than that, I've had no other issues. I'll post more impressions soon.

I've decided my next super phone needs to have the battery life of a 3410.

I thought ICS was meant to have a better battery life? The battery on my Nexus S has been draining a lot quicker since it updated.

I have read a full factory reset will vastly improve battery life on an ICS upgrade; apparently the upgrade leaves old files which continue to drain resources and battery.

But will that delete all my files/contacts/texts/etc?

Alot of stuff is backed up to Google servers - if you have Google+ auto upload of pictures will be found in Picasa, Contacts in GMail, your apps will be downloadable again from Google Play. Its possible you may have downloaded some files etc to the phone and these will be wiped unless you back them up.

Some phones (like the Sony range) have Back up and Restore; there are also plenty of Back Up apps online (check the reviews since these apps will probably need loads of permissions, find one that is trust worthy).

I'd be willing to take a hit with a few files to improve battery life, personally (but I have very few files on my phone, it all sits on Google's servers).

I think it's the quad core processor that drains the battery mostly. The update will increase the battery life to about 10 hours if it's in constant use, which is not bad. Thats not including idle time. Just depends when it's out and when networks roll it out.

The biggest killer of battery life more often than not is......... the screen.......

I'd be willing to take a hit with a few files to improve battery life, personally (but I have very few files on my phone, it all sits on Google's servers).

I guess your right. I went ahead and did a reset so we'll see if it makes a difference.

Most of my stuff was restored so all if good. Gotta love Google and it's cloud storage.

Battery was still draining pretty fast after the reset, maybe it was a little better. Turned off my live wallpaper and data for a bit which improved it a lot, but it was probably the live wallpaper causing it. I removed the Chrome Beta just in case it was that as well for some reason. Still not really getting 2 days out of it but I was using the Internet quite a bit yesterday.

Orange tweeted last week SII owners should be getting the update that day (whatever day it was) except for those with NFC (meeeee) so I asked when we should expect it and they said its TBC. I replied with something passive aggressively sarcastic like "okay just wanted to check if it was still going to meet the previously promised vague April date"

Grr.

So chaps with the HTC X One. How bad is the battery really? Been reading some reviews and battery not sounding good?

Basically something along the lines of "the battery is good if you don't want to use any features, but then what's the point of getting a phone that can do so much to hold back due to battery life. Carry a charger with you..."

I'm fine with it only lasting a day and having to charge every night but people are reporting not even half a day use when making just a few phone calls, standard amounts of txting, bit of web browsing and some gaming. Any truth in this HTC One X owners?

So chaps with the HTC X One. How bad is the battery really? Been reading some reviews and battery not sounding good?

Basically something along the lines of "the battery is good if you don't want to use any features, but then what's the point of getting a phone that can do so much to hold back due to battery life. Carry a charger with you..."

I'm fine with it only lasting a day and having to charge every night but people are reporting not even half a day use when making just a few phone calls, standard amounts of txting, bit of web browsing and some gaming. Any truth in this HTC One X owners?

My friend at work recently got one of these are they are very pretty, but he pretty much has had the same problem you describe. We all have smartphones, so they need charging every evening or so, but his battery is appalling, he did take it back and asked what the heck was going on with it and asked for a replacement, but it just seems to be the phone from what we can gather.

I'd probably hold out and wait for the S3, although I'm very much in love with my S2.

Right folks, I have two issues with two seperate HTC's.

The battery life on my HTC One X seems to be getting worse (though it might just be me.) After only using it for around 6 hours, the battery went down to 15%, and I didn't even use it much. I have been keeping it on and plugged in overnight, but I work so far away, that I have no choice but to do that. I'm guessing that could be part of the problem, but then I've only done this over the past week. I checked what was using so much power earier and it said that Android OS had used around 45% of the battery, which seems very wrong.

My girlfriend managed to get the screen repaired on my old HTC Desire, so I gave her the phone. She restored it to factory settings to wipe all the old data, then installed an update (which she says updated it to Android 2.2) via wifi. However, she can't seem to get the mobile internet to connect. She turns it on, but nothing happens, although wifi works fine. The phone was originally on contract with Vodafone, and she's now using an Orange sim card, but then it was bought from Phones 4 U, so it should be completely unlocked, right? She's scanned for available networks, and Orange appeared, so I have no idea how this is happening.

EDIT: Fixed. She didn't have APN settings on her phone.

Thanks if anyone can help with these issues, because I'm stumped.

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Well, this happens with most of the smartphones. When you using such phones then battery must be above 1500mph. Bellow this range, the battery get discharge after some uses. And if you view video or listen music or using internet on a phone then it consume a more battery power. And Android is itself consumes more battery and such condition leads to finish battery life. The best way to reduce battery consumption is use updated browsers and softwares so that it connects easily and reduce battery power consumption.

Right folks, I have two issues with two seperate HTC's.

The battery life on my HTC One X seems to be getting worse (though it might just be me.) After only using it for around 6 hours, the battery went down to 15%, and I didn't even use it much. I have been keeping it on and plugged in overnight, but I work so far away, that I have no choice but to do that. I'm guessing that could be part of the problem, but then I've only done this over the past week. I checked what was using so much power earier and it said that Android OS had used around 45% of the battery, which seems very wrong.

Thanks if anyone can help with these issues, because I'm stumped.

Unfortunately battery stats are relative so they aren't always useful. Basically if you charged your phone and put it into airplane mode and didn't use the phone at all your battery stats would most likely read: Display 2% phone idle 90% Android OS 8%. It is split by what ever feature of the device used up the most battery power. If you don't actually do much with the phone you'll get different stats compared to if you played 3 hours of shadow gun.

Do you have auto sync on at all? That causes background services to sync as often as they please and that hurts battery life. I think the only smartphone maker that seems to be getting things right in the BL department at the moment is motorola.

High android OS usage means your CPU isn't being allowed to enter a sleep state.

Edited by Ten10

So as my move to canada approach I can finally get a new phone lol! My contract expired in January so not had one. I'm currently thinking HTC and can't decide between the One X or One S....they One X obviously more powerful and slightly bigger screen but the battery life sounds significantly worse... Also none replaceable batteries worry me...in Canada new phones are on 3 year contracts as standard I do kind of worry how significant battery life will reduce in that time...

What are my other options Android wise? I'm looking for higher end I think, nice screen...I don't really want Sony as not too keen on the designs of their phones...