Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Android Thread

david.dakota

Having a few issues with the camcorder on the Sensation XE, when i record videos there is a distinct crackling to the playback. I think it's the stock camcorder, i've downloaded a few otehr apps and they seem to have better recording than the stock. Anyone else with a Sensation XE having a similar issue with the stock camcorder??

Does anyone have a Sensation XE? I'm probably going to get one Friday.

Anything i need to know? What's it like etc.?

Bought one on the weekend just gone. It's pretty fast, dual core 1.5 processor. Beats stuff is great. Only issue i'm having is the audio recording on the camcorder app, but apparantly thats fixable with a mod.

Basically, it sounds like someone is rustling a crisp packed every 3 or 4 seconds

Bought one on the weekend just gone. It's pretty fast, dual core 1.5 processor. Beats stuff is great. Only issue i'm having is the audio recording on the camcorder app, but apparantly thats fixable with a mod.

Basically, it sounds like someone is rustling a crisp packed every 3 or 4 seconds

I rarely use the camcorder anyway on my phone. Is that a common problem with the phone?

Still no sign of an update ICS for my Orange S2; really frustrating. I recall Orange were superb updating my old Xperia 10 - I got it day of release from Sony Ericsson. The Samsung debacle is really poor; coupled with the horrifying bloatware Orange and Samsung have put on the phone, I'll be a no-skin kind of guy from now on.

Having said that, I have just brought myself the Motorola Xoom 2 3G, quite a nice price at £399 (cash back also). For those following my on Google+, you'll have seen the occasional begging post to Motorola. I have a feeling the Xoom is either lightly skinned with a handful of apps or not skinned at all so all is good there. I'll probably get ICS on that before the S2.

July at the earliest for the Xoom 2. Oddly, the first Xoom already has it.

With the rumours of a Google Tablet Store, I do hope they improve the app situation - it's strange how even Facebook and Twitter don't have tablet apps for Android. Spotify could also do with a tablet interface (but works well enough).

Still no sign of an update ICS for my Orange S2; really frustrating. I recall Orange were superb updating my old Xperia 10 - I got it day of release from Sony Ericsson. The Samsung debacle is really poor; coupled with the horrifying bloatware Orange and Samsung have put on the phone, I'll be a no-skin kind of guy from now on.

Having said that, I have just brought myself the Motorola Xoom 2 3G, quite a nice price at £399 (cash back also). For those following my on Google+, you'll have seen the occasional begging post to Motorola. I have a feeling the Xoom is either lightly skinned with a handful of apps or not skinned at all so all is good there. I'll probably get ICS on that before the S2.

Last they've said about it (that I've seen) is it's coming in April. Not at all vague.

Last they've said about it (that I've seen) is it's coming in April. Not at all vague.

I think giving a four week window is pretty vague. One the vague scale, I give it an 8.

Given at Google I/O 2011 both Sammy and Orange (amongst others) promised their phones would be upgraded (in a 'timely' fashion IIR) to the most recent version for 18 months after initial release I consider the ICS update as having been really poor.

Orange have always been a bit like that, I've been with them since I was 13 and they've never been good for time keeping, just keep your knickers on.

Really I can't wait for ICS only for battery life, I'm in love with my phone, specially the camera, it's awesome!

Serious question and not Android bashing:

What do the networks have to do with software upgrades? Surely if its available for the device then you can upgrade?

Unfortunately it's so the networks can include their own bloatware within the upgrade

What a joke. Is there no way around it?

Yes. You can install a ROM yourself. Most phones have quite a few versions - some designed for better battery life while some go for increasing the phone's power. Some have the manufacturer's skin (like HTC Sense) while some come with the basic Android version (so you can install which homescreen/launcher you want).

Android can even be installed on devices not made for Android - my £90 HP Touchpad is running Android 4.0.

Of course, there are risks, but the option is there.

ICS is being sent to all Sensation XE's on Orange as of 4th April. I should know, because it's downloading now via Phone updates.

Even though my contract is with Orange, the phone is not locked to it. So hopefully, no bloatware. Not that my hopes won't be honoured.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I know this issue is about 3 years old now but I got a (original) HTC Desire and the internal memory issue is really getting on my tits.

The 'Low on space / phone storage space is getting low' notification is always there, and often I can't access my gallery as the phone tells me it's running too low on memory. I installed updates for the youtube app and a couple of apps but that only helped for a bit.

When you take photo / video I'm presuming it automatically saves to the memory card rather than to internal storage?. I know the Desire has way too little internal space but even given that I have no idea what the space is being taken up by, seeings as most of my apps are stored on the memory card.

Any ideas? Can't be assed to root or whatever..