N-Europe

3DS Console Discussion

Dante

http://kotaku.com/5510693//gallery/gallery/1

If it isn't real, someone went overboard with this mockup and made their own prototype.

yeah your not wrong...a lot of effort has clearly gone into this...

500x_0023.jpg

500x_0025.jpg

f this wonderful little piece of machinery isn't Nintendo's 3DS, slated to be revealed at E3 later this year, then we damn sure wish it was. Check out the sliding, twisting marvel in all its glory.

The pictures come from a Japanese website called, as Google's translator indicates, Munch Blog, a site about anime, manga, games, and movies. The author says the pictures were posted without the manufacturer's permission, and that anyone not wishing to spoil the big reveal at E3 this year should look away. The device is fist shown as a small unit with one large screen, which threw us off at first. One screen? How could this possible be the 3DS, which should be dual-screened by name and nature?

Soon it becomes clear. The one screen allows games to be played either on one large screen, or two simulated screens, ensuring backwards compatibility with the normal DS. In fact, the person taking the pictures inserts a DS cart, the Japanese version of Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier (a personal favorite of mine), and shows off the various orientations the dual screens can be displayed in, along with a smoothing filter built into the unit.

Other features of this little miracle include the ability to scan pictures, take pictures, composite 3D images over real backgrounds, and place objects in the user's hands, much like we've seen demonstrated with the PlayStation Move.

He also demonstrates 3D pointing, which tracks the movement of the user's finger, including distance, to manipulate an object on screen.

You can pick through the full article at the link below. Perhaps some of our Japanese readers can help us with the translation, seeing as Ashcraft is fast asleep right now.

Of course, we don't know if this is the real thing or not, but wouldn't it be amazing if it were? So amazing, in my opinion, that this has to be a fake.

We've contacted Nintendo for comment on the story, just in case.

Update: "Nintendo does not comment on rumors and speculation."

Wheres....the....second....screen....

well thats why I think it flips the other way so perhaps the games could be emulated on the screen when its long ways rather than length ways as a widescreen...Although games that use both touch screen and standard controls may be somewhat more cumbersome due to the screen not being surrounded by buttons.

Unfortunately, as nice the single big screen and rotating controls are, those CGI renders couldn't possibly exist in any official form. There's no way that Nintendo would bother to get all the copyright licensing stuff needed for those - they would just use their own material.

Unfortunately, as nice the single big screen and rotating controls are, those CGI renders couldn't possibly exist in any official form. There's no way that Nintendo would bother to get all the copyright licensing stuff needed for those - they would just use their own material.

What CGI renders? This is something real(as in physically).

And what are "those" that copyright/licensing applies to?

What CGI renders? This is something real(as in physically).

And what are "those" that copyright/licensing applies to?

No way that's a physical mockup. Just look at the buttons, and the glare on the screen. It was photoshoped onto a real picture. Even if it was a physical mockup, there's no way its the real thing, it wouldn't look that ugly if it was from Nintendo. Not to mention it looks incredibly uncomfortable. Nintendo stuff almost never gets leaked either way.

Although, I have been thinking Nintendo might use a design where the button pad flips out either way like that. The only thing is, I don't think the rumored sharp 3D technology will work on a device designed to be flipped like that.

Edited by Emasher

No way that's a physical mockup. Just look at the buttons, and the glare on the screen. It was photoshoped onto a real picture. Even if it was a physical mockup, there's no way its the real thing, it wouldn't look that ugly if it was from Nintendo. Not to mention it looks incredibly uncomfortable. Nintendo stuff almost never gets leaked either way.

Although, I have been thinking Nintendo might use a design where the button pad flips out either way like that. The only thing is, I don't think the rumored sharp 3D technology will work on a device designed to be flipped like that.

fqjTuKvlFa_Shopped.jpg

This is not the 3DS we're looking for.

I don't even know how there even can be doubt this is fake.

Let's examine:

• If this were the real deal, Nintendo would be all over it and the pictures would have been taken down. They're not, so Nintendo doesn't care. Hence, not real.
  • This looks way too finished and working for something that's in prototype-phase at best.
  • Just look at how impractical the thing is! No way present day Nintendo would even consider such a thing, even for a prototype.
  • There is too much of a PSPGo-vibe to it, with it slidey-features. Nintendon't what Sony does, for better and for worse.
  • No Nintendo-logo? Anything, really anything that comes out of Nintendo HQ has the logo branded on it in a very visible way, from prototypes to sandwiches.
  • Noone who works at Nintendo would risk their job with a stunt like this.
  • Smells of photoshop. Just look at the test-screen. Blatant. Is that... an iPhone?

10 for effort, though!

However, if this turns out to be the real deal... I'll eat my hat. I'll eat all of them. Look for possibly memorable pics coming E3. ;)

Edited by Strange Cookie

It was photoshoped onto a real picture.

It wasn't photoshopped onto a real picture. The wood and books are also clearly CGI. The wood is pixellated in the up-close pictures, the books are perfect cuboids with textures put on them and in some pf the pictures you can see the models colliding with each other (one goes straight through the other). Not to mention the lighting and shadows.

This is not the 3DS we're looking for.

I don't even know how there even can be doubt this is fake.

Let's examine:

• If this were the real deal, Nintendo would be all over it and the pictures would have been taken down. They're not, so Nintendo doesn't care. Hence, not real.
  • This looks way too finished and working for something that's in prototype-phase at best.
  • Just look at how impractical the thing is! No way present day Nintendo would even consider such a thing, even for a prototype.
  • There is too much of a PSPGo-vibe to it, with it slidey-features. Nintendon't what Sony does, for better and for worse.
  • No Nintendo-logo? Anything, really anything that comes out of Nintendo HQ has the logo branded on it in a very visible way, from prototypes to sandwiches.
  • Noone who works at Nintendo would risk their job with a stunt like this.
  • Smells of photoshop. Just look at the test-screen. Blatant. Is that... an iPhone?

10 for effort, though!

However, if this turns out to be the real deal... I'll eat my hat. I'll eat all of them. Look for possibly memorable pics coming E3. ;)

hmmm I dunno.... I do think if the 3DS is to end up being radically different from the current DS set up (something I believe it has to do to some extent to make people feel it is a worthy upgrade and not just another alternative DS SKU) may look aesthetically closer to the DSphat, a prototype looking device for early adopters then create the more chic fashionable looking version a year down the line. It's certainly very much a move a modern day Nintendo would do in my eyes...iterate iterate iterate.

Having said all of this I don't think these pics are real at all!

It wasn't photoshopped onto a real picture. The wood and books are also clearly CGI. The wood is pixellated in the up-close pictures, the books are perfect cuboids with textures put on them and in some pf the pictures you can see the models colliding with each other (one goes straight through the other). Not to mention the lighting and shadows.

Now you mention it: those shadows are a clear giveaway. Not the right angle, and unrealisticly sharp for normal lightningconditions. Not to mention the awful wood. Guess the general uglyness of the thing distracted me from the surroundings. Also, the screen doesn't reflect anything. Even with specials filters attached to the screen, they can't be so evenly black and non-reflective.

I think we have enough evidence to pass a verdict. It's fake.

Flameboy, I agree. It's just that I doubt Nintendo will do a design in the direction of this mock-up. It's too fiddly. But I agree with Nintendo's nearly annual new-and-improved strategy.

Now you mention it: those shadows are a clear giveaway. Not the right angle, and unrealisticly sharp for normal lightningconditions. Not to mention the awful wood. Guess the general uglyness of the thing distracted me from the surroundings. Also, the screen doesn't reflect anything. Even with specials filters attached to the screen, they can't be so evenly black and non-reflective.

I think we have enough evidence to pass a verdict. It's fake.

Flameboy, I agree. It's just that I doubt Nintendo will do a design in the direction of this mock-up. It's too fiddly. But I agree with Nintendo's nearly annual new-and-improved strategy.

Looking back, I'm not sure how I missed that. You're right, its blatantly obvious.

Looking back, I'm not sure how I missed that. You're right, its blatantly obvious.

Yes I now concur.

Also of note is the poorly translated(yay google) original page where I believe the makers says he just didn't finish by april 1st but didn't want the work to go to waste (he typed up quite a bit about how everything worked)

POKERMANAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

No Pokemon is being announced on Sunday.

So, Famitsu is teasing new 3DS information in their next issue due April 15th

What else is being revealed April 15th...

Cool I cant wait and I thought we get info about it at E3 not before please leak before the date.