NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Just now, Ike said:

I want some Dreamcast socks, but I dunno if I £10 want them.

You do. Buy them.

I think someone needs to have a word with Sega's equality and diversity department...

tailschococat_1200x.progressive.jpg?v=15

Edited by Goafer
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like Sega have launched an official merchandise website.

https://segashop.co.uk

They've got some cracking t-shirts on there. I want some of those Dreamcast and Mega Drive goodies. @Grazza they have Golden Axe merch for sale! 

The socks aren't big enough for me, but I'm very tempted by the "using magic" T-shirt and the framed print!

11 hours ago, Ike said:

I want some Dreamcast socks, but I dunno if I £10 want them.

Seems weird that socks are £10 but you can get t-shirts for £12. 

I may have to buy the "Welcome to your Doom!" t-shirt for a mate of mine. We tend to randomly whip out that phrase on occasion, so I may surprise him with this. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An excellent video, just in time for Halloween. :D

• Thanks 1

I do still like the SSFF channel, but I really don't like how they are now openly promoting piracy as a point of pride.  That's pretty scummy really.

Also I really don't appreciate just how much they're selling out with the Dollar Shave Club, it makes for some really uncomfortable viewing! (And not the spooky kind of uncomfortable!)

Speaking on the SEGA store front, I really like the look of that Dreamcast mug and the VMU socks! Might have to snag those...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Amazing stuff, I'm now interested to play Haven: Call of the King on the PS2 at some point.

I think I've got an Australian copy somewhere which I almost traded in, before I knew about the games history.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Dammit! I literally just came to post that video for you @S.C.G!

Glad to hear that the PS4 release isn't terrible (if not quite ideal).  These games are amazing (especially Rondo) and need to be made widely available!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Dammit! I literally just came to post that video for you @S.C.G!

Glad to hear that the PS4 release isn't terrible (if not quite ideal).

The moment I saw the video, I had to watch it, especially as I've been planning to play/replay many Castlevania games recently. :D

It looks like it will still be the Wii VC version of Rondo of Blood for me and the original Playstation disc for Symphony of the Night...

...once I get those RGB cables installed that is. :peace:

Over on Era some NPD charts have surfaced for some of the retro consoles.

DrLPn7mU0AExOgr.jpg:large

DrLQM6KUwAAP1oL.jpg:large

DrLQw1HVsAASX7i.jpg:large

DrLPC9WUwAACr_f.jpg:large

DrLRQftUUAAuj5L.jpg:large

Further into the thread made for some depressing reading where the Sega numbers were concerned. The Dreamcast only had a single 1 million seller in the chart and no Saturn game reached half a million. :( 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

DrLQM6KUwAAP1oL.jpg:large

Wow! I didn't realise they released the Arcade Donkey Kong on the N64!

• Haha 1

I can't believe that Pokemon Pinball outsold Crystal in the US! That's nutso!

The Yu-Gi-Oh hype was also insane back then! Bear in mind that game came out AFTER the GBA had launched and you'll quickly realise how utterly bonkers mad that is! :o 

Starfox 64 also ranks way higher than I ever expected!

I was surprised Silver sold more than gold, always thought the "primary" colour was the more popular one.

Those Dreamcast stats are really bad, most of those games are launch titles or from the Dreamcast's early years, no wonder SEGA gave it up.

The US was Sega's best market for the Dreamcast too, wasn't it? It makes sense that it's best sellers were early efforts, as soon as the PS2 launched in the US most of the player base would have migrated there. It always amazes me how short a lifespan the Dreamcast had, less than 3 years from Japanese release to production ceasing - comparitavely the Wii U was around for a lot longer without shifting many more units. Shows just how messed up Sega's finances were in the early 2000's.

53 minutes ago, Ike said:

I was surprised Silver sold more than gold, always thought the "primary" colour was the more popular one.

Those Dreamcast stats are really bad, most of those games are launch titles or from the Dreamcast's early years, no wonder SEGA gave it up.

The people knew that Lugia was the superior Pokemon ;) 

As for Dreamcast? I'm shocked at how sports heavy that list is! No wonder EA were so afraid of Visual Concepts! They absolutely tore up the charts! You can clearly see why they took the plunge and bought exclusive licensing rights to counteract them!

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The people knew that Lugia was the superior Pokemon ;) 

These people are right. Silver was always the better version.

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

As for Dreamcast? I'm shocked at how sports heavy that list is! No wonder EA were so afraid of Visual Concepts! They absolutely tore up the charts! You can clearly see why they took the plunge and bought exclusive licensing rights to counteract them!

I can't speak about the NFL games but the NBA 2K games were fantastic. Me and my mates spent countless hours on those and they played like a dream(cast).

A bit surprised to see Diddy Kong Racing in the top 10. If it was that popular, why haven't Nintendo ever made a sequel?

Also didn't Sony originally own the Crash Bandicoot licence? Crazy if they sold rights to the top selling PS1 game.

11 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

A bit surprised to see Diddy Kong Racing in the top 10. If it was that popular, why haven't Nintendo ever made a sequel?

Also didn't Sony originally own the Crash Bandicoot licence? Crazy if they sold rights to the top selling PS1 game.

Naughty Dog originally held the license but they sold it to Universal. This was before Sony bought Naughty Dog, which didn't happen until the PS2 era.