NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Lol yeah but that's already paid for.

Anyway I wasnt massively bothered about getting it myself. Just interesting to watch really.

Same, it seems like April in 2019 is going to be one hell of a month. :D

I used to watch stuff on eBay... then I started buying the stuff that I was "just watching" so I now don't allow myself to watch stuff any more unless I can definitely afford it. :p

16 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Same, it seems like April in 2019 is going to be one hell of a month. :D

I used to watch stuff on eBay... then I started buying the stuff that I was "just watching" so I now don't allow myself to watch stuff any more unless I can definitely afford it. :p

After the amount I've spent this month I can definitely relate to that.

I expect I'll end up doing the same again in March in preparation for the SG. I guess the difference is that my Mega Drive collection is already much bigger than my SNES one was as that was the real nostalgia console for me.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

After the amount I've spent this month I can definitely relate to that.

I expect I'll end up doing the same again in March in preparation for the SG. I guess the difference is that my Mega Drive collection is already much bigger than my SNES one was as that was the real nostalgia console for me.

Yeah, I've decided that 2019 is definitely going to be the year when I save the most and spend the least... but for real this time. ;)

I have a load of Sega Mega Drive games already too, plus Mega-CD titles and I still have my original Mega CD II... I just hope it still works.

Part of my expenditure these past few months did include one or two Mega Drive titles, mostly the two Turrican titles (both Super Turrican titles are on the Super NT) so I can play them.

Also, I helped to kickstart Tanglewood so I have my boxed copy of that which I can't wait to play when the Mega SG comes out. :D

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yeah, I've decided that 2019 is definitely going to be the year when I save the most and spend the least... but for real this time. ;)

I have a load of Sega Mega Drive games already too, plus Mega-CD titles and I still have my original Mega CD II... I just hope it still works.

Part of my expenditure these past few months did include one or two Mega Drive titles, mostly the two Turrican titles (both Super Turrican titles are on the Super NT) so I can play them.

Also, I helped to kickstart Tanglewood so I have my boxed copy of that which I can't wait to play when the Mega SG comes out. :D

What are you doing about the controller for the SG? I was tempted to just preorder it with my SG from Analogue but figured it would save on shipping and import fees if I just preordered a copy from Amazon!

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

What are you doing about the controller for the SG? I was tempted to just preorder it with my SG from Analogue but figured it would save on shipping and import fees if I just preordered a copy from Amazon!

I went with the wired version of one of those new Sega control pads that I think @Ike posted a link to.

Mostly to see how they hold up, as I do have a few original Sega pads around here somewhere.

For my Super NT I just picked up the first control pad I had lying around and it worked. :D

Just now, S.C.G said:

I went with the wired version of one of those new Sega control pads that I think @Ike posted a link to.

Mostly to see how they hold up, as I do have a few original Sega pads around here somewhere.

For my Super NT I just picked up the first control pad I had lying around and it worked. :D

Yeah see I need my wireless at this point lol.

I do use my 8bitdo pro pad though for the NT so it is a bit weird playing and having the option to use the thumbsticks.

I can’t decide what SNES RPG to start on first. I’ve played more of some than others but never completed any of them. 

Final Fantasy II (should arrive early next week)

Final Fantasy IV (probably arrive between Christmas and New Year)

Illusion of Time

Secret of Mana

52 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I can’t decide what SNES RPG to start on first. I’ve played more of some than others but never completed any of them. 

Final Fantasy II (should arrive early next week)

Final Fantasy IV (probably arrive between Christmas and New Year)

Illusion of Time

Secret of Mana

Illusion of Time. Fantastic game that often gets overlooked due to people to busy raving about the likes of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana...etc.

• Thanks 2

I'd say play Final Fantasy, or Secrets of Mana, because they're really good. Or Chrono Trigger if you've got it?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bob said:

I'd say play Final Fantasy, or Secrets of Mana, because they're really good. Or Chrono Trigger if you've got it?

I do have Chrono Trigger but I played through that earlier this year.

21 hours ago, Happenstance said:

My vote goes to... Illusion of Time ;)

I also played this years ago and was pleasantly surprised by it, I don't think I finished it but I definitely have fond memories of this title. :D

I seem to vaguely remember last saving in a town, near a bridge with some water running underneath it. ::shrug:

Just my last memory of the game, it definitely has nice visuals, decent audio and an interesting cast of characters.

Let us know how you get on with it, I might just load up my copy to see if the battery save is still there. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think I will go with Illusion of Time. Looks like it's about 13 hours to complete as well so will ease me back into longer RPGs lol.

Both of these videos are worth checking out if you've been interested in getting better picture quality out of your GameCube.

If you only have time for one though, check out the My Life in Gaming video as the Digital Foundry one is more of a preparation video for that one.

• Thanks 1

Another amazing edition of Splash Wave... I'm just surprised that I didn't watch it until now, as it has been out for a week.

Well worth checking out if you remember growing up anticipating the release of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles) as the story behind it is one for the ages.

I'm definitely going to blast through S3&K again next year on a Mega SG when it releases, heck... probably even the entire series. :D

• Thanks 1

The perfect follow-up to that previous Sonic themed video, just to keep things rolling.

It's an hour long but it really breaks down Sonic Adventure 2 in a concise way in which I understand, respect and very much enjoyed watching.

SA2 will always be a flawed but brilliant game to me and I'm more than OK with that. :D

I finished watching this Sonic themed episode of The Geek Critique this morning as well.

It pretty much captures most of my feelings on Sonic Heroes... I didn't mind playing it as much at the time it came out but now, I'd likely feel differently.

He's reviewing Sonic '06 next time, will definitely tune in for that. ;)

I've not watched the videos, but Adventure 1 & 2 were good I don't care what anyone says.

Would be interesting to see how Sonic & Knuckles would be handled and the reception it would receive if it came out today, Sonic 3 was technically incomplete. Would Sonic & Knuckles be a free update or paid expansion, separate release?

Sonic Heroes was the first bad 3D Sonic, I hated it when I first played it. As someone who grew up with Sonic, it was a very disappointing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

Sonic Heroes was the first bad 3D Sonic, I hated it when I first played it. As someone who grew up with Sonic, it was a very disappointing.

I'd argue that Sonic 3D was the first bad 3D Sonic game.

I haven't played Sonic Heroes since but I remember enjoying it at the time. A lot more than the stuff that came after it anyway.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ike said:

I've not watched the videos, but Adventure 1 & 2 were good I don't care what anyone says.

Would be interesting to see how Sonic & Knuckles would be handled and the reception it would receive if it came out today, Sonic 3 was technically incomplete. Would Sonic & Knuckles be a free update or paid expansion, separate release?

Absolutely, I still really like both Sonic Adventure games despite their flaws. :D

As for Sonic 3 & Knuckles... I think these days it would be some kind of patch possibly, although it's hard to say as it was born out of the technology of its time and time constraints.

We may get to find out in a way... Sonic 3 & Knuckles has been absent from recent compilations, so I'm almost certain that it must be getting remade in some way.

Yeah, I definitely didn't enjoy all aspects of Sonic Heroes when it was first released either but I thought it was worth playing through it all for the true ending.

There was definitely still enjoyment to be had but, also so much squandered potential looking back.

6 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

As for Sonic 3 & Knuckles... I think these days it would be some kind of patch possibly, although it's hard to say as it was born out of the technology of its time and time constraints.

We may get to find out in a way... Sonic 3 & Knuckles has been absent from recent compilations, so I'm almost certain that it must be getting remade in some way.

I dunno, SEGA seems against Taxman doing a version for some reason despite him adding a hint to it in Sonic 2. Rumours says it's because of licensing due to Michael Jackson's involvement (maybe). If there is a remake I'm not sure I would want to play it with a different soundtrack.

55 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'd argue that Sonic 3D was the first bad 3D Sonic game.

Eh, I kinda liked Sonic 3D, although I don't really count it as a proper 3D game.

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

I dunno, SEGA seems against Taxman doing a version for some reason despite him adding a hint to it in Sonic 2. Rumours says it's because of licensing due to Michael Jackson's involvement (maybe). If there is a remake I'm not sure I would want to play it with a different soundtrack.

After the sales of Sonic Mania though... ;)

I thought that it must have had something to do with the licensing as well, I mean... Sonic 3 & Knuckles did get re-released but I suppose that was before we knew about the soundtrack.

It would likely cost a fair amount to keep the original soundtrack in that case as of course the Jackson Estate would want their share.

Also, the soundtrack wouldn't be the same without Michael Jackson's involvement, moreover... the game wouldn't be the same without the original soundtrack.

I would love to see a Sonic 3 & Knuckles HD running on Sonic Mania's engine be released, I mean... fans have probably already done the work thanks to the PC mods.

It's like leaving money on the table at this point.

31 minutes ago, Ike said:

Eh, I kinda liked Sonic 3D, although I don't really count it as a proper 3D game.

Pfft, it's got 3D right in the name :p

49 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Pfft, it's got 3D right in the name :p

Sonic Isometric Blast would be a more accurate name. :heh:

Just keeping the current Sega theme rolling. :cool:

Warning... watching any of the above videos may result in a sudden urge to purchase Sega Mega Drive games. :p

• Thanks 1