NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

My Life in Gaming

Video all about third-party controllers

Nearly an hour long

Sold! :D

You just know it's going to be good, I'll check back in an hour once I've finished watching it. :peace:

- - - - -

Yep, as expected, a solid video. :)

I've taken a few notes of possible controllers to look out for, although not essential, just if I happened to see them for a good price.

It also reminded me that I need to check out the Game Boy Interface at some point so that I can get the most out of my Game Boy Player...

...I'll just have to see which will be kinder to that 240p video signal... my GC HDMI 3.0 or the official component cable. ;)

Back to controllers though... I've been using the Brawler 64 by Retro Fighters a lot lately, I even helped Kickstart it and I can vouch for it being a solid pad.

And of course all of the Nintendo branded Hori pads, which are legitimately as good as or better than the original controllers. :cool:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to @Goafer for posting the Sonic 1 video in the Playstation Classic thread, I ended up checking out some of the other videos on the channel...

The last one obviously isn't meant to be taken seriously but anyway, I enjoyed it. :D

• Like 2

On 27/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, S.C.G said:

My Life in Gaming

Video all about third-party controllers

Nearly an hour long

Sold! :D

You just know it's going to be good, I'll check back in an hour once I've finished watching it. :peace:

- - - - -

Yep, as expected, a solid video. :)

I've taken a few notes of possible controllers to look out for, although not essential, just if I happened to see them for a good price.

It also reminded me that I need to check out the Game Boy Interface at some point so that I can get the most out of my Game Boy Player...

...I'll just have to see which will be kinder to that 240p video signal... my GC HDMI 3.0 or the official component cable. ;)

Back to controllers though... I've been using the Brawler 64 by Retro Fighters a lot lately, I even helped Kickstart it and I can vouch for it being a solid pad.

And of course all of the Nintendo branded Hori pads, which are legitimately as good as or better than the original controllers. :cool:

Is it an hour of them plugging controllers in? It's really annoying when they do that. :heh:

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:05 PM, S.C.G said:

I can vouch for this too.  I've got that same controller too and it's really very solid! The analog stick in particular is really great and does a great job of replicating the feel of the original N64 analog stick (without grinding itself to dust like the official one!).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Really good video celebrating One Hundred episodes of Boundary Break, which is a great show, well worth watching.

The guy behind the channel has gone from strength to strength over the past couple of years with some help from other creators and it really shows, despite this being a tough year.

He also posted a seperate video thanking everyone, which as a long time follower of his videos, I thought was pretty cool.

Anyway, check out some of his videos if you haven't already, here's a top 10 video showing some of the more notable discoveries...

Plenty of other great videos on the channel, well worth it if you like seeing what goes on behind the scenes from different camera angles in videogames.

• Thanks 1

Seriously cool GBA Consolizer. :D

I think I'll be sticking with my GBA Player using custom firmware (still need to try that out) via the memory card SD loader, outputting over Component/HDMI but still...

This is definitely something to watch, it looks like it will go into general production early next year, though it's still something that might be worth picking up pre-installed.

No idea how much it costs, but still... it looks pretty neat and it does use original hardware. :peace:

I still wouldn't consolize my original launch day GBA though. :heart:

• Thanks 1

Here's a great rant that I came across the other day. I have to say, I agree with a lot of what Chris has said in this opinion piece. I found myself nodding in agreement when he mentions things like toxicity, Twitch, reaction videos, install sizes, lootboxes, microtransactions and gamers nitpicking things like framerates. 

TiredOldHack

It's well worth a read if you are an older gamer who longs for a return of the simpler times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Super NT this weekend along with preordering the Mega SG ready for next April. Decided that if those are the two main consoles I want to collect for then I was willing to pay a bit extra to get good hardware.

analogue-super-nt.jpg?quality=98&strip=a

After that of course another eBay binge happened. Still got a load of auctions waiting to end but so far I've won:

Super Wrestlemania
UN Squadron
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Lost Vikings
Super Ghouls & Ghosts
F Zero
Tetris & Dr Mario

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Super NT this weekend along with preordering the Mega SG ready for next April. Decided that if those are the two main consoles I want to collect for then I was willing to pay a bit extra to get good hardware.

After that of course another eBay binge happened. Still got a load of auctions waiting to end but so far I've won:

Super Wrestlemania
UN Squadron
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Lost Vikings
Super Ghouls & Ghosts
F Zero
Tetris & Dr Mario

I'm sorry but not sorry if my decision to purchase both of these consoles influenced you in any way. :D

I can safely say that you won't regret your purchases, I've been playing on the Analogue Super NT for about six weeks now and I love it.

So much so in fact, that it has made me dig out most of my SNES collection and even buy a few more for the shelf and to play. :)

If you want any tips on settings for the Super NT then just let me know, the other night I found out how to run PAL games at NTSC by changing it on the go.

This has proved to be game-changing for Super Castlevania IV as it makes it play at the same standard (only better) then on the SNES mini...

...mind you, I did play at least half the game at PAL speed and it was still perfectly playable. :peace:

There are other options as well for the display and the sound which are worth taking into account, also... you can use a Super Game Boy 2 on it flawlessly. :smile:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm sorry but not sorry if my decision to purchase both of these consoles influenced you in any way. :D

I can safely say that you won't regret your purchases, I've been playing on the Analogue Super NT for about six weeks now and I love it.

So much so in fact, that it has made me dig out most of my SNES collection and even buy a few more for the shelf and to play. :)

If you want any tips on settings for the Super NT then just let me know, the other night I found out how to run PAL games at NTSC by changing it on the go.

This has proved to be game-changing for Super Castlevania IV as it makes it play at the same standard (only better) then on the SNES mini...

...mind you, I did play at least half the game at PAL speed and it was still perfectly playable. :peace:

There are other options as well for the display and the sound which are worth taking into account, also... you can use a Super Game Boy 2 on it flawlessly. :smile:

I'll admit........I didn't even know you had one :p

I'll definitely come to you though if I need any tips. I've watched a load of videos recently so know most of the main ones but I'm sure there's loads more stuff I haven't seen yet.

I've got a bid at the moment on a regular Super Gameboy. I was hoping for a Super Gameboy 2 but there were no auctions at the time.

Actually @S.C.G I do have a question for you. I asked it both on Era and Reddit but nobody could give me a straight answer.

How are you powering your NT? I know it says it has worldwide power but people couldn't tell me if I just needed a simple UK plug with a usb connector to use it or an actual converter.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Actually @S.C.G I do have a question for you. I asked it both on Era and Reddit but nobody could give me a straight answer.

How are you powering your NT? I know it says it has worldwide power but people couldn't tell me if I just needed a simple UK plug with a usb connector to use it or an actual converter.

Oh yeah! I totally meant to mention that as well...

So, the Super NT comes with a micro USB to USB and a power brick... but, the brick has that two-prong connector by default which would mean you'd need to convert the plug end.

What I did instead was just use another USB power brick, interestingly, the ones that Nintendo were selling with/for the NES/SNES mini before they went to the smaller ones.

I used one of these because weirldy enough they gave power issues with the NES/SNES mini but are perfect for the Super NT and I'll be using the other for the Mega SG.

I've just done an extensive search though and I can't find the original power supplies they were selling but they were listed as...

Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System Power Adapter

But that was at the end of 2016... also these power supplies were

5V  ___  2A
      - - -

Whereas the newer ones are...

5V  ___  1.5A
      - - -

The older, larger USB adapters are great for the Analogue Super NT (they are the same voltage and wattage as the supplied adapter)

The newer, smaller USB adapters are great for SNES/NES mini (they are the same voltage but not the same wattage as the supplied adapter)

You could likely just find a pin adapter for the supplied USB brick or find a USB brick with the same parameters as the old adapter listed above though. 

I hope this helps. :peace:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Oh yeah! I totally meant to mention that as well...

So, the Super NT comes with a micro USB to USB and a power brick... but, the brick has that two-prong connector by default which would mean you'd need to convert the plug end.

What I did instead was just use another USB power brick, interestingly, the ones that Nintendo were selling with/for the NES/SNES mini before they went to the smaller ones.

I used one of these because weirldy enough they gave power issues with the NES/SNES mini but are perfect for the Super NT and I'll be using the other for the Mega SG.

I've just done an extensive search though and I can't find the original power supplies they were selling but they were listed as...

Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System Power Adapter

But that was at the end of 2016... also these power supplies were

5V  ___  2A
      - - -

Whereas the newer ones are...

5V  ___  1.5A
      - - -

The older, larger USB adapters are great for the Analogue Super NT (they are the same voltage and wattage as the supplied adapter)

The newer, smaller USB adapters are great for SNES/NES mini (they are the same voltage but not the same wattage as the supplied adapter)

You could likely just find a pin adapter for the supplied USB brick or find a USB brick with the same parameters as the old adapter listed above though. 

I hope this helps. :peace:

Not gonna lie, my eye's slightly glossed over reading all that :p Voltage stuff has always been one of my big grey areas where I just cannot get my head around it.

I'll check my SNES mini tonight though and see what adaptor it has. Hopefully it's the older version as I got it at launch. I'm only planning on using the one hdmi cable and one plug for both the NT and SG so if that works it would be perfect.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Not gonna lie, my eye's slightly glossed over reading all that :p Voltage stuff has always been one of my big grey areas where I just cannot get my head around it.

I'll check my SNES mini tonight though and see what adaptor it has. Hopefully it's the older version as I got it at launch. I'm only planning on using the one hdmi cable and one plug for both the NT and SG so if that works it would be perfect.

No worries, basically so long as you made sure it was the same voltage rating as the adapter that comes with it, you'd be fine is what I was trying to say. :)

I checked them all to make sure, as you don't want to have not enough power and you definitely don't want to have too much when it comes to adapters.

Anyway, I did an image search and...

If you have this one...

11363926-1774443564072519.jpg

...then all is well!

If you have this one...

11543077-8704514144451198.jpg

...then I'd use this one for your NES/SNES mini as it seems to be better for it.

• Thanks 1

Been searching and it looks like you are right about the 5V and 2A. Some UK people are saying they just used their iPhone plugs to power the NT so I'll check tonight and see what USB plugs I have lying around.

Never got an import fee payment warning from DHL this morning so unfortunately by the time I noticed I couldn’t have my NT delivered today. Gonna have to wait until Friday now :cry:

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Never got an import fee payment warning from DHL this morning so unfortunately by the time I noticed I couldn’t have my NT delivered today. Gonna have to wait until Friday now :cry:

Ah that sucks. :(

I guess now that Analogue have officially hit the big time with their range, import fees are probably going to be more standard.

I mean they're selling special editions of the Super NT at the moment plus they have the Mega SG on the horizon as well.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't get an import fee warning on mine though, there was a piece of paper with it, but it looked to me like it was an invoice saying it was all paid for.

I only ordered mine within the past couple of months as well, so this has to be a recent change, either that or luck of the draw.

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Ah that sucks. :(

I guess now that Analogue have officially hit the big time with their range, import fees are probably going to be more standard.

I mean they're selling special editions of the Super NT at the moment plus they have the Mega SG on the horizon as well.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't get an import fee warning on mine though, there was a piece of paper with it, but it looked to me like it was an invoice saying it was all paid for.

I only ordered mine within the past couple of months as well, so this has to be a recent change, either that or luck of the draw.

Yeah from what I've read it's just luck of the draw. Some people got charged on the very first batch, some didnt.

I'm not too bothered anyway. I was expecting the import fees and the original delivery date was Friday to begin with. Just would have been nice to get it 2 days early.

I also checked my SNES mini last night. Turns out I never used the plug to begin with, just plugged the usb cable into my TV to power it. Need to go dig out the box later to see if the plug is still in there.

35 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh it looks like it never came with one to begin with.

Ah... yeah, I had to order mine seperately at the time, I should have mentioned that. :blush:

You will be able to use the usb plug that comes with it, you'll just need an adapter that goes on the end of it...

...but it's probably easier to just make sure you've got an alternative USB power adapter that has exactly the same voltage rating as I put in bold in one of the posts above.

I also did this because it's almost impossible to read the voltage information off of the adapter due to the finish and how it only shows up in good light conditions.

So I thought that might save you a bit of time in any case. :peace:

Yeah I've ordered a new plug which should go to work tomorrow.

To be honest I probably would have just run this from the USB slot on my TV as I did with my SNES Mini but I've read that if you use the 8bitdo receiver (which I will be) or play any superfx chip games then it draws more power and can cause issues.

Ok then you can add 3 more games to the SNES purchases:

Super Soccer
Super Tennis
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

Still waiting for Super Castlevania IV, Adventures of Batman & Robin, WWF Raw and the Super Gameboy auctions to end.

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Here's a great rant that I came across the other day. I have to say, I agree with a lot of what Chris has said in this opinion piece. I found myself nodding in agreement when he mentions things like toxicity, Twitch, reaction videos, install sizes, lootboxes, microtransactions and gamers nitpicking things like framerates. 

TiredOldHack

It's well worth a read if you are an older gamer who longs for a return of the simpler times.

Just about everything in that article struck a chord with me. :D

I've always been a fan of Chris Scullion, I know some bits of ONM were questionable at times but I always feel that he comes across as an honest guy who just loves games. :)

Anyway, especially more recently I've been interested in what he's doing so thank you for bringing the new site design and article to my attention. :peace:

I've been subbed to his YouTube channel for a bit and he just posted this which I'm currently enjoying watching...

Seems like it's a long video but for the amount of games covered, it's a genius format really, just talk about and play each game for a minute and then move on to the next.

It gives anyone new just enough information to see if they might be interested in playing these games and it gives anyone who remembers them a good old bit of nostalgia. :grin:

His general commentary on the titles is excellent so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1