NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Thanks @Hero-of-Time @Ike @Dcubed :peace:

I think what I'll do for now is pick up Kaico's PS2 to HDMI, as it's already in stock, and sign up for the newsletter to see when the Rad2x ends up back on stock, then see if it's something I feel the need for when it gets back in stock :smile:

Any thoughts on playing PS1 games on PS2 over PS3, or vice versa? 

34 minutes ago, Julius said:

I will say that PS1 games can have issues on PS2 when using the Kaico adapter. This only occurs when a resolution switch happens in game, usually when going from gameplay to menus. This happens in Dino Crisis and a few other games as well (think Silent Hill is also one of them). It's not a deal breaker but it does mean the transition between menu and game isn't a smooth one. As far as I know the Rad2x fixes this but I'm not sure if this also happens when playing on a PS3.

• Thanks 1

On 03/12/2023 at 7:57 AM, Julius said:

Went to Birmingham Comic Con with some mates yesterday; brought a bit of cash with me, but didn't really expect that I'd come across anything I'd be genuinely interested in (as I'm still living in an apartment and like not feeling overwhelmed by hoards of stuff :p).

On 03/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, Happenstance said:

I hadn't realised MCM was in this weekend. I was in Birmingham with Goafer yesterday for the Christmas Market so could have gone up to the NEC first. Don't think I've been to an MCM Comic Con since around 2018. 

Why is everyone coming to Birmingham and not saying hi to me? :cry:

Also going back to the topic of Sega consoles a bit every time I watch an American youtuber talk about the Genesis it throws me for a second, although it did result in a great Google snafu

@Ike Analogue Pocket 1.2 firmware is out now…

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/1.2

Well chuffed about the support for 8bitdo NeoGeo CD controller.  Was very upset that it didn’t work before when I first got the controller!

Firmware 2.0 (with screen filters for Open FPGA cores) is also due to come out later this month :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Is the memories feature available yet, I can't remember (ironically)?

The Pocket also seems to still be in-stock if anyone is after one. @martinist @Happenstance?

18 hours ago, Ike said:

The Pocket also seems to still be in-stock if anyone is after one. @martinist @Happenstance?

I did consider it earlier but it's the shipping and import fees that put me off. 

Edited by Happenstance

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Memories have been available for a good few months now, though I hardly use it myself.

Looking forward to those screen filters though!

Can also confirm that the 8bitdo NeoGeo CD controller works like a champ now :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed

image.png.e51d4537979549a80fdf2a2d0fe1fbd6.png

hmmm, maybe sometime in January or Febuary. Christmas is already sucking my back account dry and $270 seems a bit much at the moment.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, Dcubed said:

@Ike Analogue Pocket 1.2 firmware is out now…

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/1.2

Well chuffed about the support for 8bitdo NeoGeo CD controller.  Was very upset that it didn’t work before when I first got the controller!

Firmware 2.0 (with screen filters for Open FPGA cores) is also due to come out later this month :hehe:

Unsurprisingly, the Library feature doesn't work with an EverDrive so I'm tempted to go back to my original carts from now on.

So this is pretty cool:

A summary of cut content from Sonic 2... Plus some entirely new material I hadn't seen before this video! Apparently, there's enough material to recreate most of Crisis City, and a snow/winter level was even considered at some point.

I also didn't know that factoid about Hill Top Zone. Makes so much sense in retrospect! :o

• Thanks 2

Someone has made a PC port of Link's Awakening DX. Oddly, it's the complete game (no providing your own rom) that they've added to itch.io so I don't expect it to be live for long. 

However, it's a very impressive port with an interesting way to play 2D games like this: the game now scrolls smoothly across the entire map and you can even zoom out far enough to see the entire map, and you can see all the NPCs, enemies and objects moving around. Of course, it's not really a good way to play seeing such a massive amount (the second screenshot is the default, the third is seeing the game render at 1x scale, so one pixel is a pixel on your screen), but setting it to an appropriate zoom level it's a pretty awesome experience.

z1Fc6ox.jpeg

N7CTg4S.jpeg

ukQd5g2.jpeg

TzA68rA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, that's straight up piracy.  It's getting nuked by Nintendo in 3...2...1...

Same thing will also happen with the Adventure of Link PC port as well.

Pretty neat either way though.  Reminds me of Castlevania Harmony of Despair :)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, that's straight up piracy.  It's getting nuked by Nintendo in 3...2...1...

Same thing will also happen with the Adventure of Link PC port as well.

Now that people have figured out the "safe" way to do it (have the software just include the new engine, the person using has to provide a rom - like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past), it's strange to see ones that don't do it. I suppose that part of it might be something the people who made this can't quite do.

Couldn't find a Metroid Appreciation Thread or the like so plonking this here. Think it's been recommended to me since I finally watched some of this channels Castlevania video the other month (thanks, @Jonnas). I've only checked out the Fusion part but the rest might be appealing to others!

• Like 1

My crippling gambling addiction has paid off. Won about £500 in the bookies so i think i might pick up one of those analogue pockets after all.

Edited by martinist
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martinist said:

My crippling gambling addiction has paid off. Won about £500 in the bookies so i think i might pick up one of those analogue pockets after all.

You have a flutter on the Scottish Open snooker?

47 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

You have a flutter on the Scottish Open snooker?

Predicted Stuart Bingham making a 142 in the quarter finals then losing to Zhou Yuelong.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Couldn't find a Metroid Appreciation Thread or the like so plonking this here. Think it's been recommended to me since I finally watched some of this channels Castlevania video the other month (thanks, @Jonnas). I've only checked out the Fusion part but the rest might be appealing to others!

Great timing! I just finished listening to it today, and wanted to post it here after I was done. Good going.

I agree with almost everything he says about 2D Metroid, much like with the Castlevania video :) But our opinions differ vastly when it comes to the Prime trilogy. The bosses he liked, I didn't. The bosses I liked, he didn't. The artifact hunt in MP1 that I loved, he hated. The same hunt in MP2 that I hated, he praised to no end. In MP3, he dismissed the other hunters but praised the pacing and environments, and I felt the total opposite. It's kind of impressive :heh:

At any rate, I love his videos, and this one was masterfully done. He even touches on significant events in the series, like the official Manga, or AM2R. I learned a lot about the series' production, too. I had no idea about how many of the series weird decisions came from Kensuke Tanabe, it was almost a running gag :laughing:

On 04/12/2023 at 8:38 PM, Julius said:

Thanks @Hero-of-Time @Ike @Dcubed :peace:

I think what I'll do for now is pick up Kaico's PS2 to HDMI, as it's already in stock, and sign up for the newsletter to see when the Rad2x ends up back on stock, then see if it's something I feel the need for when it gets back in stock :smile:

Preorders are open, ships in March.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/PlayStation-RAD2X/SONY-PLAYSTATION-HD-RAD2X-CABLE

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ike said:

@Dcubed Santa came early and delivered Analogue Pocket 2.0 update, if you haven't seen.

Well I guess they met the target of “before Xmas” in the end :laughing:

The Pocket auto updater is also apparently adding support for custom palettes and  such as well.  Nice.

It's great to see a lot of posts in the Retro Discussion over the past few months or so, be it about game experiences, retro deals, the analogue pocket (which is fantastic btw... yes I did buy one second-hand online, yes it's see-through green, more on that later) or just some cool articles and retrospectives, which are few and far between these days.

Anyway, see you on the next page. :peace: