NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

@RedShell You may wish to check out Smash Remix Version 1.4.0 as the main additional character reveal should prove to be popular...  ;)

Also, seeing as I hadn't played Smash Remix yet, I decided to start with this latest update, seeing as it was released this evening.

I played through a quick single player game mode as the latest character addition, which was pretty fun overall, the capture stopped streaming for some reason towards the end, but most of the run is there, so check it out if you're interested, as it's certainly very well made...

custom-2a342bd8-05c8-4cc4-9168-b6a629d1674f-640x360.jpeg

Smash Remix v1.4.0 on the Nintendo 64 (30/06/2023)

- - - - -

@Ashley may find one of the recent character additions (added in the previous update) to be enjoyable, I can't remember if I mentioned this character when they were announced last time, but I still think it's a really great addition, and I may choose to play as them next time I play and/or stream the game. (spoiler - it's not Rick, but it's from an underrated 2D N64 platformer by a developer famed for many classic 2D and 3D shoot 'em ups and action games of the mid-Nineties to early 00's and beyond) :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Dcubed and I have been dipping in and out of Smash Remix. It's a really excellent mod! I was literally coming here to tell Red about that, actually...

It's very cool that they've mostly stuck to keeping it restricted to characters from the N64 era. Kinda like an alternate reality where Smash 64 received content updates and Mother 64 actually happened.

Yeah, I know, Dark Samus sticks out like a sore thumb, but I believe that was before the modders were sure they could actually make completely new characters in this game.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, S.C.G said:

@RedShell You may wish to check out Smash Remix Version 1.4.0 as the main additional character reveal should prove to be popular...  ;)

Wow! :o That is absolutely glorious, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Not sure if I'll ever get around to playing it for myself, but it was great just to see that trailer and your gameplay of it. :cool:

:peace:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Wow! :o That is absolutely glorious, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Not sure if I'll ever get around to playing it for myself, but it was great just to see that trailer and your gameplay of it. :cool:

:peace:

All the trailers they’ve done are great! Very well produced and well worth watching.  They’re all pretty funny and they do some great character reveals so I’d recommend checking out their YouTube channel to see the rest, even if you don’t get round to playing the mod.

But yeah, the mod itself is incredible.  One of the most impressive and highly playable game mods I’ve ever played (and it runs perfectly on real N64 hardware!).  All the characters and stages are just so incredibly well done, it all feels official! And it’s really great that they’ve (mostly) kept everything period appropriate too!  I strongly recommend giving it a whirl :peace:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

I had no idea this was a thing. Cheers for highlighting it. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ashley said:

I had no idea this was a thing. Cheers for highlighting it. 

No worries, you're welcome. :)

I'm new to Smash Remix, though I heard about earlier characters being added in past updates, Marina was in the last update before this one, so is still relatively new, though when I heard that Goemon and more Star Fox characters had been added, I had to give it a try.

Anyway, I played some more last night so here is some Marina gameplay...

Smash Remix v1.4.0 on the Nintendo 64 Marina (02/07/2023)

- - - - -

Also, that video capture stopping from streaming thing happened again, it's some kind of resolution change which happens between the end scene and loading the credits, hence I've streamed characters seperately, which actually does make sense for anyone who just wanted to check out a particular character, but it is an oddity and I may check out other streaming software to see if it happens there as well, but as far as the game is concerned, it runs flawlessly on real hardware. :peace:

Here are the other characters I've tried out so far...

Smash Remix v1.4.0 on the Nintendo 64 Sonic (02/07/2023)

- - - - -

Smash Remix v1.4.0 on the Nintendo 64 Conker (02/07/2023)

- - - - -

Smash Remix v1.4.0 on the Nintendo 64 Peppy (02/07/2023)

- - - - -

Also, I want to give a shoutout to CMM1215 who joined from the Conker stream onwards, as they're the lead tester on the game (according to the official Discord) and they seemed to be really genuinely enthused to see the game being played and streamed, which was cool, and so I passed on my compliments to everyone involved in the project, mentioned the issues I was having with the stream (which is separate from the game, as the game runs well) and it was just really cool to chat about the game, plus all things Peppy from StarFox who I chose to play as. I'm glad I did as well, as the implementation of that character in particular is incredible.

Check out the gameplay videos to see for yourself, and definitely try the game out if you can, as it's a lot more refined than vanilla Super Smash Bros, even though it's an unfair comparison... also, I'm hoping we do get Super Smash Bros. on the NSO N64 application this time, as it has been a while... the last time we saw it was on the original Wii Virtual Console, it would be worth adding for the online play alone.

• Thanks 1

No clip have found ten years worth of lost video game footage such as the video above. The video below goes into detail, but the gust of it is they found all these tapes are they’re going to upload them to YouTube and internet archive to preserve them.

I remember having a VHS with that on, came with N64 magazine.

• Like 1

Damn, that's exciting. I love watching footage from that era. It's a bit late now but I'll definitely look into this more tomorrow! 

I remember the pure excitement of seeing GameCube preview VHS tapes in Nintendo magazines before launch. I don't think it would be possible for me to ever get that excited over a console again. 

• Like 1

That SpaceWorld trailer is fantastic, so many great memories. I can't tell you how hyped I was for Mario 128 and of course, Zelda! What's crazy to me now is that the Zelda tech demo actually looks pretty awful graphically lol, I'd argue launch (or near enough) titles like Pikmin and Smash Bros Melee look better, but I remember thinking at the time, along with seemingly most of the internet, that the Zelda demo was the hottest looking thing alive!

That Metroid shot is also interesting, that is surely the same rendered scene that we see in the Smash Bros Melee intro, albeit slightly different so maybe a slightly earlier or later build, or just a different part of however long that rendered scene is. 

It's also weird how different my opinion would be now. Back then it was insane excitement and pure joy, if I was my current age when the GameCube was coming out I'd be lamenting the beginning of the end. This is the trailer they release for GameCube? It's a bunch of tech demos and pre-rendered scenes, they have no games ready! I guess ignorance was bliss lol. 

I've subscribed to them anyway, and as if I wasn't already excited enough:

cammie.thumb.jpg.7e52385160ef8942f163db45f5e44cfc.jpg

They [the WORLD] really did Cammie dirty, she was so much fun, it's actually shocking how awful the internet was to her. 

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This Is Cool...

A bit of a treasure trove for fans of old SEGA related history, someone has uploaded a ton of Sega of America internal documents from circa 1996; detailing marketing strategy, console manufacturing costs, internal emails and more!

Heads up.  8bitdo are coming out with a new wireless controller... this time replicating the NeoGeo CD controller! Complete with microswitched thumbpad!

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/5/23784157/8bitdo-neogeo-cd-wireless-controller-bluetooth-rechargeable

2_Perspective_NEOGEO_new_and_old.jpg

8_Micro_switch_joystick.jpg

9_Disassembled_micro_switch_2.jpg

Comes out August 13th.

If it turns out good (and it should; 8BitDo rarely miss), it'll be perfect for those NeoGeo Pocket Color games on Switch (and soon to be MiSTer/Analogue Pocket) :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

In this latest chapter of Blowing Your Mind, I have a tasty treat for your brain hole...

The GBA remake of Mario Bros Classic (that was included in all of the GBA Mario Advance releases, as well as Mario & Luigi SS), is actually a port of a SNES game that was never released! It was originally a sample demo made for a special SNES SDK that was given out to Japanese game design universities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I came across this Zelda: Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass manga in my local library the other day. Is this genuine? I’d never seen it before and very strange to have the page numbers going from right to left (so page 1 is at the back and the final page is at the front).

Admittedly my local library has gone up in my opinion, knowing they’re offering books like this!

7794441c4684872ca4c3a4c70925d10d.jpg

c0c06dcef44481640caef512fb866f16.jpg

16 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

I came across this Zelda: Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass manga in my local library the other day. Is this genuine? I’d never seen it before and very strange to have the page numbers going from right to left (so page 1 is at the back and the final page is at the front).

Have you not seen a manga in real life before?

Even when in Engrish they fuck you over like this.

• Haha 1

Ladies and Gentlemen.  I present to you, the most British game ever made…

It’s an Amiga, generating a Teletext version of Worms with a real Teletext signal :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Ladies and Gentlemen.  I present to you, the most British game ever made…

It’s an Amiga, generating a Teletext version of Worms with a real Teletext signal :D

That’s amazing! Haha! It certainly beats “Bamboozled”, a multiple choice questions game which (besides the latest football scores getting updated, albeit you had to wait for it to scroll through 2 or 3 other pages of scores first! How did we cope before the internet!?) was sadly one of the most exciting things Teletext had to offer!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

That’s amazing! Haha! It certainly beats “Bamboozled”

Wash your fucking mouth right now.

• Haha 3

I used to love Digitiser and GameCentral.  Sam Ryder paid homage to Teletext in his Eurovision song.  SamBoozle!

Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 3

Some eBay pickups for £20

Henry Hatsworth, Zoo Keeper and Meteos.

DS games are getting pretty cheep.

Edited by martinist
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, martinist said:

All three for £20, boxed? That's a good deal.

Yeah, some of them are pretty cheap, while other titles seem to be going up in price.

Well worth waiting for the right listing, if the game you're after is a third-party title, which doesn't generally go for too much.

Some games have gone up in price, or down following any re-releases... (depending on how well the re-release is received, I suppose)

I just searched for Ghost Trick on the DS... that seems to have halved in price, following the recent re-release.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martinist said:

I’d question their legitimacy… DS bootlegs are super common now.  It’s like how GBA carts used to be throughout the late 2000s on eBay when it comes to DS games right now.

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I’d question their legitimacy… DS bootlegs are super common now.  It’s like how GBA carts used to be throughout the late 2000s on eBay when it comes to DS games right now.

Yeah... there is that too, though £5 - £10 per game does seem to be the current going rate for those three titles, so assuming that they are genuine of course, that's a good price.

I sold a few of my DS games, and understandably, there were plenty of buyers wanting to purchase them, as they are all legitimate and most of them were purchased back when they were new.

It is great when you do find a bargain DS game though, and if it turns out to be genuine. I'd probably be wary buying any DS games say... mail order from CEX, as I bet there are a few non-legitmate games which slip through the cracks, especially as they quite gladly will sell you an unboxed copy of just about any game, but put it in a box, print their own sleeve and call it 'boxed and complete' I've had that happen a few times, not with DS games, but Wii games etc.

You can still find some bargains in charity shops and car boots etc as well, though it seems rarer these days as the values seem to be more well-known.

All are boxed with manual and all have the NTR-xxx-EUR region code on them.

Seems legitimate to me. I'd be wary of buyting pokemon games though. Those are replicated all too much. I bought a new copy of Platinum years ago and the price for a legitimate copy is getting up there

Same with Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise on the Wii. Going for £50-£100-ish now.

• Thanks 1