NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2010

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83340

Mercedes to run radical engine cover

1273152391.jpg

Mercedes GP has adopted an aggressive engine cover design as part of the upgrade that it hopes will help lift it closer to the front from this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

As well as increasing the wheelbase of the W01 to try and improve the weight distribution on the car, the Brackley-based team has introduced a host of aerodynamic improvements to its car.

One of those updates includes a dramatic relocation of the engine airbox inlets - moving them away from right behind the drivers' head and situating them further back down the engine cover.

This design means the top of the roll hoop is now very thin - which should bring an aerodynamic advantage in terms of reducing drag.

The W01 is also expected to feature the latest version of the F-Duct that the team tried out for the first time in the Chinese Grand Prix, with the lengthened wheelbase having been achieved through a re-angling of the front wishbones.

AUTOSPORT understands that Michael Schumacher shook down the updated car during a filming day at Rockingham last week, with the German hoping to get more comfortable with the characteristics of the W01 after a difficult start to the season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83346

Ferrari removes barcode design

1273161312.jpg

Ferrari has removed the controversial 'barcode' design from the side of its car from this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix following controversy about it being subliminal advertising for title sponsor Marlboro.

A report in The Times newspaper last week revealed that leading doctors were putting pressure on governments to investigate whether the red, white and black bar code that had featured on the Ferrari cars for several years was a clever way of promoting its title sponsor's cigarette brand.

Ferrari reacted angrily to the claims - suggesting that the barcode design was not copyrighted by Marlboro owner Phillip Morris and that it had chosen the concept alone. The bar code also featured on the Ducati MotoGP bikes too, though.

Earlier this week, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo labelled any claim that the design was promoting Marlboro as 'nonsense.'

"Frankly, I find this argument completely pointless and it is verging on the ridiculous to claim that the colour red or a graphic design which shows a bar code could induce people to smoke," di Montezemolo said on Ferrari's website.

"At a time when, on the other side of the Atlantic they are fighting to provide a more equal health service, in the old continent of Europe, so called experts are racking their brains to come up with theories that have no scientific basis: I think there are more important matters to think about than a bar code.

"Therefore, it's best not to waste any more time replying to this sort of nonsense or to those who are instrumental in wanting to stoke up the story."

Despite that stance, Ferrari opted on Thursday to remove the barcode design from its cars immediately.

A statement issued by the team said: "Together with Philip Morris International we have decided to modify the livery of our cars starting with the Barcelona Grand Prix.

"This decision was taken in order to remove all speculation concerning the so-called 'barcode' which was never intended to be a reference to a tobacco brand.

"By this we want to put an end to this ridiculous story and concentrate on more important things than on such groundless allegations."

If anyone's been keeping up with the Ferrari-Marlboro-Barcode story it's pretty funny.

I've always associated that barcode with Marlboro... especially given that at every race/country where smoking promotion isn't an issue, they replace it with 'Marlboro'.

But Ferrari, when called up on it last week, flat out denied it...

... only to immeditely change the livery this week...

... albeit to something that arguably looks even more like a cigarette packet?! :rolleyes:

And great innovation from Mercedes!

z1273153974.jpg

z1273153982.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

The Mercedes looks very different, hopefully it will give Schumacher what he needs to perform better.

The whole Ferrari thing is ridiculous, surely everyone has always known it was to advertise cigarettes? I don't get why noone complained sooner to be honest.

The whole Ferrari thing is ridiculous' date=' surely everyone has always known it was to advertise cigarettes? I don't get why noone complained sooner to be honest.[/quote']I can't believe they just flat out denied it! and blamed everyone else!

Well yes there is that too! Seems crazy all round to be honest.

So glad its gp weekend again, it's been far far too long since the last GP, not sure how the teams will have changed their packages relative to the others. I can't see much having changed though. Hopefully another win for Ferrari, Buttons luck has to run out sometime.

I'm a bit worried for Nico... :hmm:

Do you think Mercedes have completely built this new car for Schumacher?... I think they would and I'm pretty put out by that.

ALOT has changed on that car and suddenly Schumi is 0.5 quicker than Nico.

And considering Schumacher has been 0.5 slower up until now... what... he's suddenly found 1 second!

Yes it's only practice, but still!

I'm a bit worried for Nico... :hmm:

Do you think Mercedes have completely built this new car for Schumacher?... I think they would and I'm pretty put out by that.

ALOT has changed on that car and suddenly Schumi is 0.5 quicker than Nico.

And considering Schumacher has been 0.5 slower up until now... what... he's suddenly found 1 second!

Yes it's only practice, but still!

Yeah, I'm also suspicious but I'm sure Nico will still do well and prove he has exceptional talent.

As for Schumacher, I just desperately want one more epic performance, it would cement him in my mind as a legend.

Do we know what they were testing during the practice sessions? Could Nico have been on longer runs? I missed both sessions so I have no idea.

I hope Schumacher can improve but until I see him do it in qualifying or the race I hold off judgement.

Do we know what they were testing during the practice sessions? Could Nico have been on longer runs? I missed both sessions so I have no idea.

I hope Schumacher can improve but until I see him do it in qualifying or the race I hold off judgement.

I missed both as well, but lap data suggests Schumi was definitely on shorter runs, so I also think it's best to hold off judgement until at least Saturday afternoon.

I'd love the Mercedes team to do well this weekend, and I hope Lotus' upgrade firmly establishes them as best of the new teams.

So in summary...

Rosberg's been fucked over!

Red Bull are immense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So in summary...

Rosberg's been fucked over!

Red Bull are immense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from weather and reliability, Red Bulls look untouchable.

Right so typical Spanish GP!

Unlucky Hamilton and Vettel :/ Fernando got a second which he probably didn't think was possible. Michael drove a very good race but even with the updates that car is still a second a lap down on the RB's :( Rosberg's pace all weekend has been dreadful, apparently he went the wrong way on set-up from friday and that's cost him dear.

Webber was amazing today; even before Vettels problems he was comfortably quicker, it's a shame he's so inconsistant.

After Barrichello's poor qualifying, I wasn't holding much hope for any points, he got lucky and somehow got 9th, which after his great start, I held out hope for. However Seeing Hamilton go off after he managed to split the Red Bulls on the final two laps was gutting after he worked his socks off to get and hold that second place. Congrats to you as well Webber, great win for you. Vettel sure got lucky though.

When it counts, Webber seems full of confidence and in top form, I was expecting Kubica to get it but Webber just beat him comprehensively when it counted, last 2 runs of Q3.

Schumacher has been giver a 20 second penalty for his pass on Alonso...

Horrific decision. :mad:

damon-hill_1106295c.jpg

Since Alonso exited the corner poorly, surely Shumacher has every right to have a shot up the inside. Bullshit of the highest order since the race didn't end under the safety car or yellow flag conditions, anyone could see green flags being waved before the move took place. So giving the reason that the safety car was still in effect when every other source says otherwise is beyond my understanding. I hope the appeal passes.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Good to see Schumacher back in Dick Dastardly mode. Didn't get away with it, but still. :heh:

Thats such bullshit.
I hope the appeal passes.
The rule is actually clear enough, albeit a bit stupid... and seemingly no one aware of it!
The Mercedes driver was penalised for breaking rule 40.13 of the sporting regulations, which states, "If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

However, Mercedes, which initially considered appealing the penalty, believed the race had finished normally and not under the safety car.

Edited by Retro_Link

Oh we were all probably aware, but by waving the green flags and being given the message track clear which means normally racing can resume, it's by no means clear cut and a massive oversight which could easily have been remedied had yellow flags at least stayed waving which in all honesty they should have done. It's nothing but a silly oversight which has stirred up more controversy and speculation.

I meant seemingly none of the drivers and teams were really aware of the rule, seeing as pretty much everyone made a mad dash for the finish.

The penalty was unnecessarily harsh. Make it enough to put him back to the place he would have been originally. Clearly Mercedes weren't trying anything sneaky, theres no need for him to lose all the points he had earned over it.

Yeah except each rule has it's own set of penalties, the stewards can't just make one up. So they possibly gave him the least harsh option, or at least they should have done!

---

Introducing the car that never was...

The Toyota TF110

47943837.jpg

71965818.jpg

89402120.jpg

94604865.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link