NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2010

So Schumacher set to stick around next season after all.

I'm really glad. He was always admirably realistic about his chances this year, and I'm just hoping he really is back into some sort of groove by next season. To see him up on the podium as a winner again at the age of 41/42 would be something special.

Anyway, I'm oddly more pumped than usual for this weekend. Seems like Silverstone was an age ago.

I still think he can do it, I'm just amazed he isn't doing it already.

While I'm here (and I think it's safe to treat this a general motor sports thread), here's an incredible clip from the Seat Leon Eurocar championship at Brands Hatch. Incredible as no one was seriously injured.

Edited by gaggle64

^ YES, I saw that on MSN... on honestly thought one of the running marshalls was gonna get hit... can't believe, as you say, that no one got hurt!

So on to Germany...

Since they radically changed Hockenheim, I can't really say I ever much look forward to this GP anymore... such a shame! I'd much prefer it was at the 'Nurburgring' tbh... at least that often throws up some crazy rain or something!

But yeah... although what he says actually confirms nothing (Merc could still get rid of him if his performances ever became embarressing), Schumacher was always going to be around next season. He's worth too much to Merc in terms of PR, and a new year and a new car will show what he's still capable of.

Also I was just thinking to myself a few minutes ago... is anyone else getting really fed up with Red Bull? Not Seb & Webber so much, but just all the constant bollocks!

I've spent the last 3 weeks watching the FIA F1 season reviews from 1990-2009 (finishing uni and moving back home helped :grin:). This REALLY reminded my just how much of a dirty twat Schumacher used to be, some of his tactics still make me angry, and even though I have supported him recently, some of the stuff still makes my blood boil. Great talent, but not really the ideal role model.

I certainly do appreciate him being back in the sport, however I think his performances so far show just how crucial it is to his success to have a team built around him. He is certainly struggling on a level playing field and Rosberg is soundly beating him, I'm still to decide whether it's because he's rusty, or becuase when everything is equal he struggles to get the best out of himself/the car etc.

Anyway... German GP should be fantastic this weekend! Wet practice and Qualy will mean when they go out on Sunday, should the race be dry, we could be in for a classic race. The lack of dry running should mix up the field, and may cause problems for McLaren trying the blown diffuser, but we shall see. Should be a cracking weekend and I'm behind Webber to get one over on Vettel, again.

I've spent the last 3 weeks watching the FIA F1 season reviews from 1990-2009 (finishing uni and moving back home helped :grin:).
Have you got them on DVD or did you watch them somewhere online. I have 2007 on DVD and keep wanting to get '03 & '05, but they're pretty expensive to buy!

Have you got them on DVD or did you watch them somewhere online. I have 2007 on DVD and keep wanting to get '03 & '05, but they're pretty expensive to buy!

Mate are you a Kimi fan?!

Schumacher's Dick-Dasterdly stylings was always something that infuriated me back in the day as an avowed D.Hill fan, but at the same time it always impressed me massively. Just his raw determination to win was and clearly still is unmatched by any other driver. Clarkson actually summed it up best on Top Gear after Schumi's infamous blocking of Alonso at Monaco - "I don't care if you're better then me, I'm still not going to let you win."

My dad's mate had them all on his hard drive, every one since '79 in fact but I only remember the nineties which is why I got from there. Although I do have '96 on VHS!! You can watch some of them on youtube in parts. I'm sure the whole '94 season is on there, but as for the rest I'm not sure.

I've spent the last 3 weeks watching the FIA F1 season reviews from 1990-2009 (finishing uni and moving back home helped :grin:). This REALLY reminded my just how much of a dirty twat Schumacher used to be, some of his tactics still make me angry, and even though I have supported him recently, some of the stuff still makes my blood boil. Great talent, but not really the ideal role model.

I certainly do appreciate him being back in the sport, however I think his performances so far show just how crucial it is to his success to have a team built around him. He is certainly struggling on a level playing field and Rosberg is soundly beating him, I'm still to decide whether it's because he's rusty, or becuase when everything is equal he struggles to get the best out of himself/the car etc.

Anyway... German GP should be fantastic this weekend! Wet practice and Qualy will mean when they go out on Sunday, should the race be dry, we could be in for a classic race. The lack of dry running should mix up the field, and may cause problems for McLaren trying the blown diffuser, but we shall see. Should be a cracking weekend and I'm behind Webber to get one over on Vettel, again.

There are many reasons for Schumachers struggles so far this season, and yeah rustiness is probably one of them but most likely the one that contributes the least. It's mainly due to his driving style and how these cars offer little front end grip and tend to understeer massively, which is different to what he does to go fast (he loves to throw the car into the corner and correct the extra speed with careful use of the throttle and then controlling any oversteer). He's having to completely changed his driving style and then on top of that having the deal with these slick tyres which everyone else has had for a year.

Michael has always impressed me hugely. The first seasons I watched were 98 and 99 where Mika won the titles back to back, but even then i was in awe of the stuff Michael could do. He had a very strong mentality and hated to lose, it was as if he was saying 'you can overtake me, but you're doing it on the grass son :heh:'. I've faith he'll deliver, it's Michael afterall.

Majorly hyped for this weekend! Championship battle has been great and even though we've had some dull races (spain, monaco) the result has always made the title race interesting! Showers expected Friday and saturday too and it's a track where overtaking is definately possible :) Excited.

German Grand Prix 1959...

59ger0403brooksferrari2.jpg

Watched some of Practice today.

So Lewis binned it! Never has body language been so clear, he was absolutely gutted!

And Chandhok was pretty great in commentary, good knowledge! He also took to it extremely naturally... and just shows how aweful the 'experienced' Legard truely is!

Edited by Retro_Link

Drat, going to miss qualifying tomorow. Should be great, Ferrari are well in there now, maybe a Merc could grab a tasty spot near the front.

yeah im missing qualy too :( Gutted as well, really reckon it's gonna be something special, especially with Fernando on the pace. Can't wait.

German Grand Prix 1959...

59ger0403brooksferrari2.jpg

God that looks amazing, I would love to have driven one of those in anger.

Surely this weekend is finally one for Alonso. I really really want him to get back in the fight.

Same here, he was pretty quick this morning so fingers crossed!

Just rewatched the opening lap on Silverstone, Legards commentary is truly awful. 'Webber is off to a flyer...VETTEL IS OFF! But it's all about Webber leading, and Vettel is off the track, almost having contact there! But it's webber leading!'

He's either stating useless facts or just says what he see's. You can tell he's taken the motivation out of Brundle as well, he's just not the same. I'm dreading the Korean grand prix:

*Nuclear bomb lands on track*

Legard: Oh dear, should we expect the safety car to come out?

Martin: *facepalm*

I HATE LEGARD! WHAT A TOOL!...

Gutted for Alonso 0.002 away from pole, I hope he murks Vettel into the first corner tomorrow. I'm surprised he is half a second quicker than Massa, he really needs to pick up his game, at the minute he is the shadow of the driver he was before his accident last year. Well done to Button out qualifying Hamilton...

Interesting grid for tomorrow.

WOW now that was close!

It annoyed me somewhat that Vettels lap seemed to go completely unnoticed by commentary and footage!

Legard was truely aweful as always!

EDIT:

lol, found this on autosports:

Comparison and transcript of the Liuzzi incident in Q1 :

BBC1 :

*yellow flag*

-6 seconds pass-

"Oh hello then that's Liuzzi! Now that could well be.... is that going to be a red flag? Possibly session stopped? That's a huge impact. That's going from bad to worse for Force India, isn't it. It is. It's red flagged. That is a big impact.. we didn't see where that happened, or how that happened, we can see it's on the pit straight, as Lewis Hamilton goes through, the session will be stopped. Now we did see in this morning's session Pedro De La Rosa, go on those curbs over there, now let's see, what happens here?"

Radio 5 live :

"OHH THERE'S A BIG CRASH. Down the main straight, Tonio Liuzzi has pretty much wrecked his Force India car and he's come to a halt, he's lost the front wing, he's lost the front left tyre, he's got damage to his rear left tyre as well, and Liuzzi lost it out of the final turn and straight into the concrete barriers, and they've red flagged the session, I'm not surprised, lot of carbon fibre debris on the track. Tonio Liuzzi is moving around, very shaken, possibly a bit stirred as well, and still in the cockpit of that Force India car."

Brundle said Webber ran wide at the start of his last qualifying lap yet Legard kept asking "what happened to Webber?" "why was Webber so slow?" "has something happened to Webber?".

Oh Legard! :D Edited by Retro_Link

Ok.

I love Formula 1 again :) Totally loving that Ferrari duel, great strategy from Button to get out ahead of Webber and also I find it incredible that 12 months after nearly dying in Hungary Qualifying, Massa is leading a race again!

Edit. Right, before the haters hate, there was nothing wrong with what Ferrari just did.

Edited by Goron_3

Edit. Right, before the haters hate, there was nothing wrong with what Ferrari just did.

Not from a team perspective. That one decision is really going to divide the team, Massa could have won that, it'll all depend how Massa takes it.

I forgot about the race and put BBC on while Jordan was calling Ferrari cheats. What the hell happened?

I forgot about the race and put BBC on while Jordan was calling Ferrari cheats. What the hell happened?

Well, it was Fillipe Massa leading the grand Prix, Alonso couldn't pass him, then Massa got a team radio from his not too happy race engineer basically asking Massa to let Alonso into the lead, apologizing after Massa let Alonso through. They were identical on race pace as well.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Morally, it was wrong. Massa was keeping up pace with Alonso's lap times throughout and all the way to the end. They realistically should have been allowed to fight it out for the position. I understand that Ferrari needed a good points haul and that Alonso was ahead of Massa in the championship but there are enough races left in the calender for them to have left it as it was without the team order for both drivers to move up the championship and to get Ferrari into a better place in the constructor's.

It was also wrong in terms of the rules as well because it was a clear team order that affected the position of their cars and the rule states that a team order cannot be given that will ultimately affect the final position of one of their cars. ::shrug:

Anyway, wasn't a particularly good race anyway. Hopefully Hungary should throw up something more exciting, and it should do really given the track layout.

Massa and Fernando were 1-2 for the first 40 laps or so, with Alonso clearly faster than Massa for a long time (at one point they were side by side into the hairpin, almost touching). On lap 40 something, Smedley came on the radio and said 'Felipe...Alonso...is....quicker....CONFIRM you get this message'

The next lap Massa let him by.